Wiki Posts
Search

Charging Lipo Batteries with imaxRC B6AC PRO

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2013, 11:51 PM
Tech Rookie

Questions?? Charging Lipo Batteries with imaxRC B6AC PRO

Hi Guys,

I've recently bought an RC car and started using Lipo batteries. Just have some doubts regarding my charger's display, if anyone can clarify.

I have a 2S 5300mah lipo which I charge using 3A @ 7.4v setting. However while the battery i charging, the volt reading goes over 7.4v? Keeps fluctuating to a max of 8v that I have seen while i monitor it. Is this ok?

This actually happens when I'm charging my Nimh battery pack too. While charging my 8.4v 3000mah Traxxas battery, the voltage goes up to 9.96v. Thats the max I've seen while monitoring the charge.

Just want to confirm that this is normal behavior.

Thanks.
Old 11-02-2013, 12:00 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

As long as you are charging in a lipo mode it's fine. My lipo's finish at 8.4v
Old 11-02-2013, 07:36 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 71 (100%+)

7.4V is a nominal voltage for LiPo batteries. That is voltage at a resting state with a storage charge on them. When they are charged for use, you should see 8.4V when completed (they may settle to about 8.3 when you disconnect and let them sit).

The charger should do this: First make sure you are in LiPo mode (sounds obvious but you would be surprised). It should start the charge cycle at your predetermined charging current (in your case 3A) and it will hold 3A until the pack voltage reaches 8.4V. Once that 8.4V level is reached, the voltage will hold at this level and the current will start to drop off. Once it gets close to 0A, the charge cycle will stop.

When charging LiPo, always balance charge (no reason not to) and ideally you would not leave them unattended while charging. If something were to go wrong in the charge process you definitely want to be there to stop the charge and disconnect the battery.
Old 11-02-2013, 08:21 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 68 (100%+)

Originally Posted by klaymon
7.4V is a nominal voltage for LiPo batteries. That is voltage at a resting state with a storage charge on them. When they are charged for use, you should see 8.4V when completed (they may settle to about 8.3 when you disconnect and let them sit).

The charger should do this: First make sure you are in LiPo mode (sounds obvious but you would be surprised). It should start the charge cycle at your predetermined charging current (in your case 3A) and it will hold 3A until the pack voltage reaches 8.4V. Once that 8.4V level is reached, the voltage will hold at this level and the current will start to drop off. Once it gets close to 0A, the charge cycle will stop.

When charging LiPo, always balance charge (no reason not to) and ideally you would not leave them unattended while charging. If something were to go wrong in the charge process you definitely want to be there to stop the charge and disconnect the battery.
Could not have said it better myself.
Old 11-02-2013, 08:01 PM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

also you can crank the charge rate up on those packs if you want them to charge faster. all you do to determine the max amp setting of a battery is put a decimal point after the first number in the MAH rating. (there's an actual mathematical calculation but it just simply does what I said to do)
so 5300 mah batteries can be charged at 5.3 amps. which is what they call 1c (correct me if I'm wrong folks).
you can actually charge most lipos much higher than that if the charger can that is.

my batteries say I can charge them at 5C which is 5 times their MAH rating. but my charger cant handle that. all it can muster is 6 amps. so it just takes longer to charge.

and most people never think about it but you should never leave a lipo charged at full capacity. you can make the pack puff in as little as a 48hrs.
always storage charge each cell to 3.8V a 7.4v pack is a 2 cell pack. hook up your balancer leads and charge the pack or discharge the pack till each cell is 3.8v

2bfly.com has a lot of great info about charging etc. here's their video about storage charging.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b7FFHKsuJHs
Old 11-03-2013, 06:33 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 68 (100%+)

Originally Posted by mtpocketsracing
also you can crank the charge rate up on those packs if you want them to charge faster. all you do to determine the max amp setting of a battery is put a decimal point after the first number in the MAH rating. (there's an actual mathematical calculation but it just simply does what I said to do)
so 5300 mah batteries can be charged at 5.3 amps. which is what they call 1c (correct me if I'm wrong folks).
you can actually charge most lipos much higher than that if the charger can that is.

my batteries say I can charge them at 5C which is 5 times their MAH rating. but my charger cant handle that. all it can muster is 6 amps. so it just takes longer to charge.

and most people never think about it but you should never leave a lipo charged at full capacity. you can make the pack puff in as little as a 48hrs.
always storage charge each cell to 3.8V a 7.4v pack is a 2 cell pack. hook up your balancer leads and charge the pack or discharge the pack till each cell is 3.8v

2bfly.com has a lot of great info about charging etc. here's their video about storage charging.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b7FFHKsuJHs
All true