Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Waiting to get into the hobby. looking for my first buggy

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2013, 02:26 AM
Tech Rookie

Questions?? Waiting to get into the hobby. looking for my first buggy

Ok firstly. For someone that's new to the hobby, I've done my research. I'm after a 1/8th or 1/10 4x4 brushless buggy (preferably 1/8). A well known brand, something pretty durable, something fairly easy to get parts for. I would like to try and keep my price limit below $400. Looking for something race. But also drive casual. There's no race track in my area and I won't travel to one. But I will make my own track. So what can you guys recommend? I am a 15 year old. But I am mature.
Old 10-10-2013, 04:27 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 68 (100%+)

Losi is like the tank of the buggy world. Look for a used tlr 8ight e 2.0 or 1.0. You will want to look into raising your budget aincexyour just starting iut and dont have anything else currently.
Old 10-11-2013, 05:12 AM
Tech Rookie

Yeah. I'm willing to spend $500 or so as of now.
Old 10-11-2013, 05:27 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 50 (100%+)

1/8th is great fun, but they can get expensive. While you may find a RTR setup for a price you can afford, you will probably still have to put money into lipo batteries and chargers. I haven't seen anything for sale in your price range that didn't need more money dropped into it.

I just got back into it myself and went with a used 8ight-E 2.0 RTR ($730) and in the past two weeks bought a new charger and some batteries. You would probably want at least two or three batteries and a decent charger.

I haven't run mine yet, but SMC lips look good so far and they are pretty inexpensive. I haven't hooked them up to my charger to see the voltage on each cell or internal resistance, but plan to do it soon.
Old 10-14-2013, 02:06 AM
Tech Rookie

I've made my decision that I'm getting a new Team Associated rc8.2e rtr.
Old 10-14-2013, 02:06 AM
Tech Rookie

Thoughts on that car? Yay or nay?
Old 10-14-2013, 12:56 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Consider the Duratrax 835e. It's one of the more inexpensive 1/8 buggies I saw, supposedly has a great warranty, and is pretty sturdy.
Old 10-14-2013, 07:19 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by EmptyOrange360
Thoughts on that car? Yay or nay?
i still stand on my position of getting an 8ight. If you like ae, get one of the ft buggies that somebody has for sale. You will be happier in the end. and end up spending about the same as getting the rtr.
Old 10-14-2013, 07:21 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by Markah
Consider the Duratrax 835e. It's one of the more inexpensive 1/8 buggies I saw, supposedly has a great warranty, and is pretty sturdy.
yes the famous duratrax stress-tech 1 year warranty.

if you break any plastic parts for up to 1 year they will replace parts. its only plastic though.
Old 10-14-2013, 07:51 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 50 (100%+)

Originally Posted by ThePanda
i still stand on my position of getting an 8ight. If you like ae, get one of the ft buggies that somebody has for sale. You will be happier in the end. and end up spending about the same as getting the rtr.
I'll follow his lead. Try and find an 8ight-E 2.0. Don't worry if it doesn't include everything. I had an 8ight nitro that was super strong. My 8ight E 2.0 seems to be just as good.

Piece your setup together from multiple sources and get quality for used prices. While a cheaper car up front seems like a great deal, you will slowly sink $$ into it as things start to break/wear due to the cheaper quality parts.

Check the forums here. I found a Spektrum DX3.0 radio/receiver for $45 shipped. You don't need anything high end, just something 2.4ghz with all the standard adjustments. Should be able to find something decent for $100.

For batteries, check out SMC Racing 3S or 4S packs. Some great prices on what look to be great packs.

For a charger....not sure what to recommend that's cheap, but quality. I'm running an iCharger 308 Duo and it's incredible!

For esc/motor i'd recommend a Tekin RX8/T8 combo if you can swing it. A gen 1 setup will be cheaper than a Gen 2.

Figure this will be a rough breakdown of the essentials (all are rough used prices. You can probably get some of this cheaper, but i'm leaning towards the higher end)

Buggy - $200-300 for a roller
ESC/Motor - $200
Radio/receiver - $100
Steering servo - $75 (brand new Savox 1258TG)
Batteries - $120 for two SMC 4S 40C 5100mah
Charger - $100 or so

I think for any decent 1/8th scale setup all said and done, fully ready to go, your looking at at least $800. It isn't a cheap class whether you are bashing or racing.

EDIT: The Duratrax 835E may be more up your ally. $399 RTR, just need batteries/charger, and add something else to your cart to put you over $400 and you can get $50 off with the coupon code on Tower Hobbies homepage. I can't comment on quality/durability of the 835E, but at your age it probably won't be your last r/c car anyways.
Old 10-15-2013, 03:24 AM
Tech Rookie

I've had a look at the duratrax and I think that good. Read through the specs and it's seems great for the price. Aluminium chassis and big bore aluminium shocks. I gotta say I'm impressed for the price. Really considering it. I will just watch some reviews and get back to you. I really appreciate the input from you all. This is my first post and first rc forum website I have used. I'm impressed with this website. Thanks heaps. Get back to you tomorrow.
Old 10-15-2013, 09:03 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 71 (100%+)

+1 to the team associated. I just picked up a RC8BE and its tough as nails. Everything is beefy on it.

The Dex408 is another option, seen a couple in person and they look well made. Another bonus to it is, you have better battery options. It uses 2 2s batteries in series, helps keep the weight down low and you can get 2 good batteries for cheap.
Old 10-15-2013, 11:56 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

I'm a big AE fan too, I think I would go with almost ready to race though. The radio equipment from Associated isn't that great, check out the difference in cost, it's about $20 or $30. That kind of speaks for itself.
Don't underestimate the value of a good RX/TX, a good roller would be even better. You can pick and choose your own gear. Good luck with your choice anyway.
Oh, and don't forget parts support.
Old 10-15-2013, 12:05 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

If your looking for a rtr the rc8.2e is the way to go...Your new buy something new... Used stuff usually has problems and will discourage you from the hobby...Plus the 8.2e is one of the best platforms out there...The losi guys will say buy losi. Ae guys will say AE and so on...
Old 10-16-2013, 05:30 AM
Tech Rookie

It's just a toss up between duratrax 835e rtr and ae rc8.2e rtr. Think I'm gonna go with ae. But postage is shocking from US to AUS. $100+ Do you guys have any batteries to recommend for these models or maybe some websites. Thanks again.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.