Search

soldering

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2005, 06:11 PM
4ou
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default soldering

I have a quick question, Ive been watching alot of racers and they all seem to solder everything, why couldnt they solder connecters on everything then when they need to repair just unplug? I guess this is a dumb question but im new to all this. Im wanting to start racing mine, I just dont really know all the ins and outs. thanks
Old 05-24-2005, 07:06 PM
Tech Fanatic

Soldering connections saves weight, plus there is less of a chance of something come disconnected.
Old 05-24-2005, 08:23 PM
Super Moderator

Right, there are a number of connectors nowadays that offer just as low electrical resistance as the wire they go on, but nothing is more secure or lighter(for the car's overall weight) than direct soldering....
Old 05-24-2005, 08:28 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

soldering is a more secure way of joining your motor ESC etc it also has less resistance tha plugs.plugs become loose after time have a feel of a tamyia style plug after changing battery packs,it is both loose and hot(hot joints mean lose of power and in some cases fire)
the only plugs i have on my electric(OB4) is the battery connections and their the bullet style,same racers even solder their batteries in
hope this helps
Old 05-25-2005, 03:26 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 141 (100%+)

I suggest if you are just starting into rcing to use deans plugs. The soldering is great but if you do not have power to solder you are sol.

Also the deans plugs are easy to use and well worth the lack of the hassle of soldering.

I direct solder for indoor carpet since I know I have power and such but for outdoor offroad I use deans plus.

Also helps so you do not solder things in backwards and fry a speedo or something else. Has a friend do it to a gt7 - snap, crackle, pop, no more racing.

Just a thought. I would hold off on the direct solder.

mc

Old 05-25-2005, 04:34 PM
4ou
Tech Apprentice

Thanks all for the information, i think b3taz had a good suggestion on the deans. Think i'll go that route until i get my feet wet, maybe ease into everything slowly. Thanks again guys
Old 05-26-2005, 11:10 PM
Tech Adept

Just out of interest, has anyone damaged the fets in the esc by soldering direct to the motor ?

When I was soldering deans connectors to the esc, you can really feel the heat from the soldering iron travel up into the esc.
Old 05-27-2005, 12:26 AM
Super Moderator

Nope, never had a problem yet. The key to doing it right is to be able to do it quickly, which is why a high-powered iron with a broad tip is best(gets & stays hot enough & the broad tip transfers heat the quickest).....
Old 05-27-2005, 03:40 PM
Tech Elite

Last post is very true, you should not hold the iron on the wire and let it melt the solder, that will damage the internals. The iron should be able to almost instantly melt the solder in the wire
Old 06-13-2005, 09:42 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 44 (100%+)

Dose anyone have any opinions on this "ColdHeat" product? I'm new so, do get to upset with me... I need to purchase a iron, so I'm just asking if the product is option.
Old 06-13-2005, 11:33 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by bvoltz
Dose anyone have any opinions on this "ColdHeat" product? I'm new so, do get to upset with me... I need to purchase a iron, so I'm just asking if the product is option.
Don't worry we won't get upset, asking questions is how we all learn. Now about that Cold Heat iron, it might be ok for light soldering work, but from what I've read & heard, for anything serious(like motor & battery connections, for example) it just isn't powerful enough to do the job. I'd stick to a more conventional iron(of a bare minumum of 40 watts).....
Old 07-06-2005, 05:30 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by 4ou
I have a quick question, Ive been watching alot of racers and they all seem to solder everything, why couldnt they solder connecters on everything then when they need to repair just unplug? I guess this is a dumb question but im new to all this. Im wanting to start racing mine, I just dont really know all the ins and outs. thanks
Want to know why I direct solder connections? I'm not going to argue about resistance and all that -- I do it because IT'S FREE! I don't have to pay for connectors whatsoever!