Wiki Posts
Search

Chassis balancing enquiry

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2013, 10:34 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Questions?? Chassis balancing enquiry

I am running a Tamiya TT01E. I realized that the rear is much more heavier than the front of the chassis.

Do the experienced guys here suggest I use a harder spring at the rear and softer spring setting at the front so that the chassis will naturally lean lower in front and hence shift the CG or weight forward?

And what if the rear left side is heavier? How should I tune my springs? And why?

Thanks for any feedbacks!
Old 03-27-2013, 06:18 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 88 (100%+)

If you change the spring just to change the ride you will have trouble with handling. If all you want is to adjust the way the ride height is, just use more pre-load in the rear. The side to side is going to make the car not change direction as easily but changing the springs will not do what you think it will. Get the weights balanced close but in my experience the difference is not very noticeable when it is 100% balanced.
Old 03-28-2013, 12:36 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

i set my cars up as per a spec sheet for springs, ride height, shock oils etc, then balance the car using lead stick on weights and 4 x kitchen electronic scales.

To do this i place one scale under each wheel (i actually mark the dead centre of each scale to create uniformity).. from these 4 readings i apply weights to make the fronts the same, then the backs the same. Then bias front to back as needed.
Old 03-28-2013, 09:18 AM
Tech Adept

It's not easy to find setup sheets for that vehicle. There is another option. If you're serious about learning how to set it up, there is a site with TOO MUCH setup info. While it's probablly going to overload you with information at first, it's a really good place to learn everything about setting up any RC vehicle to race. If you can drink in all the info there, and learn how to apply it, you will become someone who can set up any vehicle, for any situation. Hopefully this helps you, without overloading you with TMI.

http://users.telenet.be/elvo/
Old 03-28-2013, 09:28 PM
Tech Regular

Thanks to all experienced bros here for sharing! I have learnt a lot and will continue to learn more and share the information too !
Old 04-01-2013, 05:51 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 61 (100%+)

Just one other comment. Front to rear balance is not that critical, and to many people, not even preferred. Depending on your driving style, the handling of the car changes through front rear weight bias and other settings can affect that as well.

Now left/right balance is different, and something that makes more sense to try and achieve so that the car handles the same turning both left and right. If you look at how balance pins and stations work, they are primarily to balance left/right, not front/rear.

Front/rear bias is important and is a tuning aid. Front/rear balance is not.
Old 04-01-2013, 11:04 AM
Tech Rookie

I'm a simple newb so forgive me if I'm way off but,
what about moving the battery forward?
Old 04-03-2013, 08:43 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by rogerraa
I'm a simple newb so forgive me if I'm way off but,
what about moving the battery forward?
Yes moving battery forward does help a bit. Because there is not much space to move anyway.
Old 04-14-2013, 11:02 PM
Tech Rookie

yes its a good point i have the same problem and rectified it