Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Tools???

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2013, 05:09 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

I used to think decent tools were good enough.
Now I swear by MIP for my drivers. Don't skimp on the hex drivers, especially the smaller ones.
Old 04-01-2013, 05:21 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

I like the protek ones but they are a little pricy, if you want to go cheap the dynamite ones are a pretty good deal.
Old 04-02-2013, 07:56 AM
Tech Apprentice

Here are the fake Hudy Ultimate Body Scissors. Again, the package only had one staple instead of four like it should. I was able to slide them out of the package and inspect both sides. They felt heavy and there was no Hudy logo.

I quickly snapped a pic before sending them back; my bad for the glare.
Attached Thumbnails Tools???-image.jpg  
Old 04-02-2013, 08:17 AM
Tech Apprentice

Here is the real McCoy. Check the Hudy logo.
Attached Thumbnails Tools???-image.jpg  
Old 04-07-2013, 01:05 AM
Tech Apprentice

Droop and Ride Height.

1. Can I use the same tool to measure droop and ride height on 1/8 and 1/10 buggies?

2. Who knows where zero droop is anyway?
Is the height of the blocks that go under the chassis equal to zero droop?

3. What good is a 17-30mm Hudy ride height kit when all my buggies have more than 30mm ground clearance? what am I missing?

http://www.hudy.net/xhudy/products/p...3&kategoria=64

Last edited by Salinas Hawk; 04-07-2013 at 07:23 AM.
Old 04-08-2013, 05:14 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Ride height is ground clearance when you set the vehicle to sit on the suspension on a flat surface.
Droop height is ground clearance when the suspension is fully uncompressed.

Most people measure "droop" by going eyelet to eyelet on the shock. I personally like the method of measuring droop by lifting the car until the wheels leave the table and measuring that height. Both are correct, but you can't match a setup sheet that uses one method by using the other.

For racing, most ride heights will be in the 20-25mm range off road (slightly more in 8th scale). Carpet will be even less than that, and on road goes around 5mm.
Old 04-17-2013, 12:47 PM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by justpoet
Ride height is ground clearance when you set the vehicle to sit on the suspension on a flat surface.
Droop height is ground clearance when the suspension is fully uncompressed.

Most people measure "droop" by going eyelet to eyelet on the shock. I personally like the method of measuring droop by lifting the car until the wheels leave the table and measuring that height. Both are correct, but you can't match a setup sheet that uses one method by using the other.

For racing, most ride heights will be in the 20-25mm range off road (slightly more in 8th scale). Carpet will be even less than that, and on road goes around 5mm.
Ahhhhh thanks

I have just about everything except set up tools. I even got the Arrowmax shock pliers. They are nice.

Question. Is the Losi shock matching tool useful?
Old 04-17-2013, 03:23 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Salinas Hawk
Ahhhhh thanks

I have just about everything except set up tools. I even got the Arrowmax shock pliers. They are nice.

Question. Is the Losi shock matching tool useful?
I have one, we rarely use it.
Old 04-18-2013, 03:05 PM
Tech Initiate

Nobody ever mentioned a Dremel. I cant count how many times a dremel has helped me to remove stripped screws heads, and make custom modifications. It is one of the most valuable tools in my box.
Old 04-20-2013, 09:03 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Voltage_Drop
Nobody ever mentioned a Dremel. I cant count how many times a dremel has helped me to remove stripped screws heads, and make custom modifications. It is one of the most valuable tools in my box.
dremel never gets unplugged. Clean out the hex heads and use a quality tool and you won't strip out any heads. Mip hex drivers.... 20 years old and still like new. Like the handles better than the alu ones as well. Tools are an investment.
Old 04-23-2013, 05:00 PM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by asc6000
dremel never gets unplugged. Clean out the hex heads and use a quality tool and you won't strip out any heads. Mip hex drivers.... 20 years old and still like new. Like the handles better than the alu ones as well. Tools are an investment.
Yes, I completely agree, quality tools are a good investment. I have more than enough tools than I really need. I was just saying that the dremel is perfectly suited for modding ventures, which I do quite frequently.
Old 05-22-2013, 02:06 PM

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Voltage_Drop
Yes, I completely agree, quality tools are a good investment. I have more than enough tools than I really need. I was just saying that the dremel is perfectly suited for modding ventures, which I do quite frequently.
The Dremel never runs out of uses!!!