Wiki Posts
Search

Want To Get Into Racing Help Needed

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2013, 11:18 PM
Tech Rookie

Red face Want To Get Into Racing Help Needed

Hey everyone, I'm new to the RC world.
I just purchased an Electric Traxxas VXL Rustler last week and fell in love lol.
I'd like to get into racing/riding on tracks and such.
I don't know what is necessary to be "Race Ready", so please anyone with any input give me advice, it will help me out tremendously!

I need to know about what kind of batteries will be good and will last long enough to race with, a good charger to use and if getting a new radio is absolutely mandatory?

Thanks everyone!!
Old 01-11-2013, 11:35 PM
Tech Regular

Location: Lake View Terrace, CA. ~ Where Rodney King got his Asswoopin!
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by DGalicki18
I just purchased an Electric Traxxas VXL Rustler last week and fell in love lol.
I don't know what is necessary to be "Race Ready", so please anyone with any input give me advice, it will help me out tremendously!

I need to know about what kind of batteries will be good and will last long enough to race with, a good charger to use and if getting a new radio is absolutely mandatory?

Thanks everyone!!
Do you have in mind to race your rustler? Or get a more "Race Ready" Kit/set-up?
Old 01-12-2013, 03:32 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

Thanks everyone!!
First off, welcome to the hobby!!!

On to your questions...

I would go to the track and see if they run a "rookie" or "novice" class. This is a "run what ya brung" class and will be the best place for you to start. If not, you will run with 2WD Mod or 2WD Mod Truck, if they have it. Most places run 5 or 6 minute qualifiers and either 6 or 8 minute mains in 1/10th scale electric. As long as the battery (probably an NiMH with that RTR?) you have will last that long, you shouldn't have to upgrade right away. You will need a charger capable of charging that battery in about an hour so you can top-off your battery in between rounds. While you are at the track, ask the race director if they have house transponders. If they do, you will need to prepare a spot on your truck to mount it. Usually, a hole in the body and a body clip works just fine. If they don't have house transponders, you will need to buy one if you want your laps to count. Be advised, they run about $100 new/$75-ish used.

If you do want better batteries, the next step up in battery performance is Lithium Polymer (LiPo) batteries. They offer more run-time and performance than NiMH, but also require more care when charging/discharging and you will need a charger that is LiPo ready. Almost all places have a 2s limit for 1/10th scale classes, and the LiPo must be hard-cased. I would get a 2s 7.4V LiPo with at least 3200mAh rating. 5000 mAh would be better from a run-time standpoint. ALWAYS, ALWAYS, ALWAYS remember to have your low-voltage cut-off set to ON when running LiPo batteries. Consult your owner's manual on how to activate this feature on your ESC.

My suggestion to you, no matter what you decide on batteries, would be to get a charger capable of charging multiple chemistries. This way, you won't need to upgrade when you decide to go with LiPo batteries. My personal suggestion for a charger would be the Hyperion 606i, but there are others on the market that can do the same things.

Next on the list is a few basic tools. I would get a set of good quality metric hex drivers that has 1.5mm, 2.0mm, 2.5mm and 3.0mm. Also, a small phillips screwdriver, flat-head screwdriver and needle-nosed pliers. Your truck should have come with a 4-way wrench. Make sure that's in your pit box as well. This will at least get you started in maintaining your vehicle while you are at the track. A small fishing tackle box is ideal for a starter pit box. You will figure out what else you need for tools as you go along. A screw kit for your vehicle and a few spare body clips would probably be a good idea, too. Nothing will ruin your day quicker than dropping that little screw in the grass and not being able to find it to put your rig back together...

While you are at the track, take note of what kind of tires guys are running. Typically, RTR tires are not very well suited for on-track performance and tires are about 90% of your set-up. One good set of 4 plus a spare set of rears should be fine for 2wd. I prefer pre-mounts because I don't like gluing tires...LOL...

Getting a new radio is not absolutely mandatory, as long as it's a 2.4GHz system. The higher end radios have a ton more adjustments that you can use and are very nice to have, but not absolutely necessary for a newb racer. If and when you decide to upgrade your radio, don't skimp on it. This will be a vital part of your R/C addiction and it doesn't pay to go cheap if you are deep into this hobby. You will be happy with your radio for many years if you buy right the first time.

Lastly, get to the track and have fun!!! That's what this hobby is really about. The more time you spend at the track, the more you will learn. Getting track time is probably more valuable than getting the latest and greatest equipment. You will see what classes are popular and maybe even want to try a new class. Good luck!!!

Last edited by sdtech58; 01-12-2013 at 04:38 AM.
Old 01-12-2013, 09:15 AM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by chiefin on 420
Do you have in mind to race your rustler? Or get a more "Race Ready" Kit/set-up?
To be honest, I'm not sure. I've seen alot of people say that the rustler isn't really a "race" car.
But then I've seen people say that they have been racing their rustler's for years, so I'll probably end up practicing on the track at least 7-10 times with it to really be sure if I want to upgrade my RC or not.
But any advice helps at this point!
Old 01-12-2013, 09:36 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 71 (100%+)

Race your Rustler to get started. If you have never raced before, you will not appreciate the difference between a Rustler and a Kyosho RT-5. Getting around the track cleanly (no crashing, learning racing lines, etc) is what is important right now. Don't let anyone sell you on "you have to have a race vehicle" to get started racing. That comes later.
Old 01-12-2013, 03:43 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 97 (100%+)

Enjoy running your rustler. It's not a bad car.
Old 01-12-2013, 06:14 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

Originally Posted by klaymon
Race your Rustler to get started. If you have never raced before, you will not appreciate the difference between a Rustler and a Kyosho RT-5. Getting around the track cleanly (no crashing, learning racing lines, etc) is what is important right now. Don't let anyone sell you on "you have to have a race vehicle" to get started racing. That comes later.
+1!!! Your first goal when you go to the track should be to keep it on all 4 wheels as you go around the track. Don't worry about speed. If you have to drive 1/2 throttle or less, do it...Once you build some confidence and keep it upright, the speed will come. 2WD Mod is probably one of the hardest classes to drive, but IMO the best to learn with. The vehicles are superlight and are massively overpowered. It will teach you a ton of throttle control and you don't have the beating and banging around that you do in the SC classes. Early on, slower is faster.
Old 01-14-2013, 11:34 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Give the rustler a shot at racing. Unlike the 2WD Slash, which is HORRIBLE for racing, the Rustler isn't the best but isn't bad either. Jang (founder of Ultimate RC) used to race his Rustler very competitively, and win quite a bit with it.

As for radio, motor, etc...
You may find that there is a point in time when you outgrow each aspect. However it isn't important to upgrade until you say "I wish it did X" and you then find a product that does X. At that point, THEN it is worth also asking "what else am I likely to want in the near future, and what options have those too?"

Any decent LiPo and LiPo charger will be just fine.

The absolute most important thing for being "race ready" is to have the correct tires for the track you're going to be on. This isn't something that the internet is generally really good at telling you, so go to or call up the track and ask what tires most are running, then get a set of those before showing up to race competitively.
Old 01-15-2013, 07:33 PM
Tech Initiate

Thanks everyone!!
Well you're lucky if your local track has a Stadium Truck class....nothing in my area does. It's buggies and SCTs....if they had that class I would have gotten my firestorm flux.
Old 01-16-2013, 05:15 PM
Tech Initiate

Most tracks should have a beginner/novice class. If not, you can always just go for practice time to get some experience on the track.