Search

Help me choose.. Please

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2012, 10:57 AM
Tech Initiate

Default Help me choose.. Please

Hello,

I have a question.

I'm planning of getting a new RC for my son who is 6 years old.

I already have a Rustler with a Castle Sidewinder ESC and a 3900 kv 4 pole motor in it.

I have offer right now, for the same price both, for a slash 2x4 or a stampede 2x4.

The slash come stock with a 2.4ghz transmitter and XL5 esc and a battery. Slash come from a user here, so it's shipped to my place, Canada.

The stampede come with a Rebel Tekin Brushed Esc and the stock Titan brushed motor. Come with battery pack too and a Onyx Charger 200 is a local pickup.

My son prefer Big truck or Buggy.

So if I buy the slash, I transfer my brushless stop into it and install the brushed setup into my rustler and convert it to a bandit for my son.

If I get the stampede, then I keep my rustler as is for me and my son get the Stampede. Also Since I already have a charger, I sell the Onyx 200 charger for like 30$ and I get this setup for less then the slash one.

What would you do?

Thanks

Last edited by DcShoesCo; 06-20-2012 at 12:55 PM.
Old 06-20-2012, 01:07 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

I would lean towards the Slash because of the 2.4 radio however, you could get a comparably equipped Stampede brand new for $235 if you went that way and what sounds like a comparable Slash for $275. I just always have a hard time recommending anyone spend more than 50% of the value of Traxxas' stuff when new because you know it's been bashed on and then your first run, you're replacing a gear, the second run, it's a bearing, then you realize all the shocks leak and so on. Those truck choices will be good for your son, I'd just approach with caution or try to find them cheaper.
Old 06-20-2012, 01:13 PM
Tech Initiate

Thanks for the answer
Old 06-20-2012, 01:35 PM
Tech Addict

If you're son is Six Go ECX the boost sounds perfect for him

$129.99
It can also be upgraded with a more powerful brushed motor down to 12T

http://www.ecxrc.com/Products/Defaul...ProdID=ECX3000

Review

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8t7xE5gCz0Q

Show it to him see if he likes it if he does buy it the thing is Crazy durable and very cheap one of the best beginner rc's out there
Old 06-20-2012, 01:44 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Having bought my Slash 2WD as RTR used, it looked reasonable at $150. But, it was missing a small part and the diff was toast (had sand in it), and most of the gearbox screws were stripped. Needless to say, I had to replace a bunch of things. I'm probably selling it to a friend (I also upgraded it to the castle 4 pole system) to get his kid into RC, since I know it is all put together well now...but unless you know the person, or can check for things like that in person before handing over your cash, I'd suggest being very careful about used gear, especially Traxxas, since they're most commonly bashed which is much harder on it.

Here's a comparable Slash, brand new with the updated 2.4ghz radio and metal gears, for about the same. Being new, the XL5 in it will also have a LiPo cutoff so you're not limited to the old style nimh batteries as you grow in the sport.
https://www.ssl-stormerhobbies.com/c...s&pn=TRA580310