Search
Like Tree2Likes

How to clean bearings?

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2012, 04:26 PM
Tech Addict

Exclamation How to clean bearings?

Just wondering how to clean bearings?

I believe they're all ball bearings. Some have blue rubber on the side but most look like different layers of metal rings.

I'm guessing for the ones that have rubber on the sides I need to find a way to peel that off, but I wouldn't know how to take apart the layered looking ones??

What do I use to clean and then lubracate after? and what techniques could I use to do so?

Thanks
Old 06-12-2012, 04:36 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)

Great question BTW.

For any bearings that have rubber shields, use a sharp hobby knife to get under the shield at the inner race. Dont use the knife edge but the dull side to lift it up and out of place. Also be carefull not to stick it in too far and break the tip off For the metal shieds, you are kind of out of luck. A good soaking in solvent or cleaner is about the best you can do. It is very difficult to remove thoses metal shields and even more difficult to put them back together.

Spray your cleaner in the bearing/ cage and roll. spray and roll untill there is nothing left coming out on to a clean rag.

For metal shielded bearings, lay them flat and put a good 5-10 drops of light oil on them and let them sit for 15-20 minutes and the reinstall.

For rubber shielded bearings, do the same but you can use grease instead of oil if you choose. I bought a 3lb tube of lightweight axle grease 3years ago and havent even gone thru a 1/4 of it yet. smear some grease in the balls/ cage and put the rubber seal back in by hand.

Then reinstall in your ride and enjoy.
Old 06-12-2012, 05:03 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by Jerm13
Great question BTW.

For any bearings that have rubber shields, use a sharp hobby knife to get under the shield at the inner race. Dont use the knife edge but the dull side to lift it up and out of place. Also be carefull not to stick it in too far and break the tip off For the metal shieds, you are kind of out of luck. A good soaking in solvent or cleaner is about the best you can do. It is very difficult to remove thoses metal shields and even more difficult to put them back together.

Spray your cleaner in the bearing/ cage and roll. spray and roll untill there is nothing left coming out on to a clean rag.

For metal shielded bearings, lay them flat and put a good 5-10 drops of light oil on them and let them sit for 15-20 minutes and the reinstall.

For rubber shielded bearings, do the same but you can use grease instead of oil if you choose. I bought a 3lb tube of lightweight axle grease 3years ago and havent even gone thru a 1/4 of it yet. smear some grease in the balls/ cage and put the rubber seal back in by hand.

Then reinstall in your ride and enjoy.
Thank you for the help and quick reply!
Old 06-12-2012, 05:12 PM
Tech Master

jerms way of doing it is very good but heres my 2 cents on how to do it

- if rubber shielded take the shields off in the same way jerm said too

- put in a little Tupperware container or any container big enough to hold all the bearings

- spray down with either brake cleaner or air intake cleaner (this eats all dirt and oil out of bearings as u will see in the liquid after they soak for a bit)

- then use this on them http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXUST0&P=7

be sure not to over do it on each bearing

- then put sheilds back on and your good to go

make sure you dont destroy or bend the shields horribly when taking them off
Old 06-12-2012, 05:39 PM
Tech Champion

It’s not hard to take the shields off of metal shielded bearings, many used to do it routinely long ago when power and battery life was far more limited, and good bearings were typically a lot more expensive. Wasn’t unusual to run only one shield on the outer/exposed side, leaving the inner/protected shield off. Some even ran no shields (mostly oval guys, you know who you are ), depending on the surface.

The shield is typically held on by a snap ring on the outer race. Look closely and you should see the ring and a gap, notice the ends are cut at opposite angles. Use a pointed hobby knife to grab the side that provides a hook to get a hold of. Pull the ring inward and lift a little, and work the ring out. At some point it will probably snap out, frequently it’s more of a challenge to not loose the darn ring than it is to get it out! Put your thumb over (be careful with the knife naturally), do it over a towel, etc, to help keep or find the snap ring.

Once you get the hang of it it’s really pretty easy and quick. Then you can really clean the sucker out. Reoil lightly with your bearing oil of choice (a whole nother discussion lol), reassemble. Make sure you get it in there and seated all around good, or next time will be really easy…hehe.

Since fairly decent bearings are relatively cheap these days, most don’t bother, just replace them. But still a way to save a few bucks, and a rewarding trick for the DIY crowd.

Because of the lower costs I’ve never tried a rubber shield, but I’ll give it a try when I get a chance.
DRTMI likes this.
Old 06-12-2012, 05:48 PM
Tech Addict

Thank you rcduder, Dave!

I will get that spin lube.
Old 06-13-2012, 07:05 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Like he said and yes I was a concrete oval Guy 20 years ago. He must have been too. LOL. Any way yes he's right. U can take the tiny snap ring out with the tip of your hobby knife and tap the bearing till the shield falls out. I never was careful about those shields because they weren't going back on anyway. I still have a bearing blaster and I think they still make them. U put a bearing n and hit it with a few shots of motor spray. Then a few drops of bearing oil and put em back in. We didn't run the shields back then but I did take all the bearings out and clean and oil between rounds. Maybe a little overkill but they were very expensive n the day. Now I'm getting older and maybe a little lazy. If they need cleaning, I'll just put new ones n.
Old 06-13-2012, 08:24 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Originally Posted by polarbear72
If they need cleaning, I'll just put new ones n.
Originally Posted by Dave H
Since fairly decent bearings are relatively cheap these days, most don’t bother, just replace them.
My approach these days as well. With quality bearing available for a buck each from Avid, it's hard for me to justify spending the time anymore and then you know you've got new ones in there.
Old 06-13-2012, 11:00 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 74 (100%+)

i use the carb cleaner method as well and i use o'donnels O lube on them after i let them sit for a lil bit to let the cleaner finish evaporating
Old 06-13-2012, 11:05 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by MarkA
My approach these days as well. With quality bearing available for a buck each from Avid, it's hard for me to justify spending the time anymore and then you know you've got new ones in there.
+1, I haven't cleaned a bearing in years. if they get gritty i toss'em.

if you guys do clean them, don't grease them, oil them. grease makes'em slow.
Old 06-13-2012, 12:48 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by MarkA
+100000

There are a few companies that sell bearings for a buck. IMO not worth my time to tear them apart and clean them.
Old 06-15-2012, 02:44 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

just put a tiny drop of light bearing oil in each one. If a bearing becomes gritty, toss it and put in a new one.
Old 06-22-2012, 03:10 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

I'm too lazy to remove shields and just soak and shake them in WD40 to get the grit out.

Then 1 drop of Mobile 1 0wt oil.
Old 07-03-2012, 11:19 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 49 (100%+)

Originally Posted by token
+100000

There are a few companies that sell bearings for a buck. IMO not worth my time to tear them apart and clean them.
+1000000

Once the bearing feels slightly gritty or does not turn smoothly, i replace them. They are cheap enough that you can toss them and forget it.

Unless of course youre using ceramic, in which case, youre hardcore and can afford $100+ in bearings alone =)
Old 07-10-2012, 07:43 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 79 (100%+)

The easiest way I found to clean them is by using a skaker bottle. The bottle that has a small metal screen inside (I think it will work with just a small container but you'll need to fish out the bearings). Drop the bearings without removing any covers into the bottle. Spray motor spray into the bottle to fill about 3/4 inch from bottom (too much spray and it won't agitate as well and you'll get tired without much progress). Cap and shake for 30 seconds. Remove cap pull out the screen and dump bearings on towel. Dry and oil them. It really has worked well for me, even with bearings that are gritty. I've tried bearing blasters, ultrasonic cleaners, and even boiling them. The shaker is the quickest and best cleaning method to me thus far!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.