Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Rookie Zone
C rating for my Castle Sidewinder combo >

C rating for my Castle Sidewinder combo

C rating for my Castle Sidewinder combo

Old 04-20-2012, 07:49 AM
Tech Apprentice

Default C rating for my Castle Sidewinder combo

Hey there, i've been looking around to find wich C rating should i use with this combo, no luck so far, the manual states that i should use a High C rating, since this combo uses a lot of power, i have the Sidewinder SCT edition, with de 3800Kv motor.
I'm switching to Brusless and lipo at the same time, and i don't want to burn my motor or esc, or blow up the batteries, and burn the car, causing me a massive stroke
i've been looking to a Max Amps saddle Pac, states a 100 C rating, this will set me back 100 bones. and another saddle pack from Gens Ace, states a 40 C rating, this is a lot cheaper than the Max amps, 31 bucks, Hard Case (the max amps are not hard case) both packs are 6000 Mah.

Also, i'm looking to buy the Durango DEX 410Rv3 (i love the looks on this buggy) anyone have used the Sidewinder combo on this car?

Cheers.
Old 04-20-2012, 10:00 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

40-50C with a burst rating double that will be more than enough for your application. Back when that came out and those instructions were written, 35 was considered a high C rating.

As the Durango is a "race-grade" car and the Castle stuff is generally more basher-oriented, that's a setup you won't see often (especially at a track and/or at the sharp end of the field) but it will work ok.
Old 04-20-2012, 12:33 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

I've run that combo in my Slash 2wd for a while now. Stupid speed and way overkill for a 2wd, but not very smooth until already running a reasonable speed.

When running in a lighter or 2wd vehicle, you don't need to worry too much about C rating, as it is just such a powerful system it isn't working much. I've had as low as 25c 5300mah packs in it and never even warmed up the packs at all on a hot day.

That being said, if you put it into a heavy 4wd like a Ten SCTE, then you'll want to put some more beef on the battery side of things. That combo though seems to work fine even in heavier situations like that at anything 35c+ 5000mah.

A general rule of thumb right now though, is if you're buying batteries, get 40c+ and try to go 50c+. As long as they're not cheap crap and/or small mah, you won't run into a system that pulls too much for the pack for a long while. I also wouldn't recommend anything less than 5000mah unless you have a specific purpose/reason (such as a shorty pack for smaller size/weight on a 2wd buggy).
Old 04-21-2012, 03:03 PM
Tech Apprentice

Thank you guys, i'm thinking on getting this pack

Max Amps
6000mah capacity
2-cell 7.4 volts
True 100C rating
5C fast charge capable

I'll let you know how things go down the road
Old 04-21-2012, 03:35 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Make sure you buy a battery that will fit the vehicle you intend to put it in. I'm pretty sure the dex410 just takes saddle packs.
Old 04-21-2012, 06:16 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by crlock
Thank you guys, i'm thinking on getting this pack

Max Amps
6000mah capacity
2-cell 7.4 volts
True 100C rating
5C fast charge capable

I'll let you know how things go down the road
Wowza overkill...you would never tell the difference other than your wallet being $50 heavier between that and this pack in your truck.

But, as mentioned above, if you do follow up on the Durango, that is a saddle pack car so that car will require something like this.
Old 04-23-2012, 07:29 AM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by MarkA
Wowza overkill...you would never tell the difference other than your wallet being $50 heavier between that and this pack in your truck.

But, as mentioned above, if you do follow up on the Durango, that is a saddle pack car so that car will require something like this.
wow, the saddle pack looks very promissing! the max amps, was also saddle pack, but not hard case, this one has it! thank you very much MarkA, i think i'll be buying this one

do you guys know of a store i Miami, that may have the durango in stock? a friend of mine is traveling to miami next month and i want to ask her to buy it for me, since is way more economic this way.
Old 04-23-2012, 08:14 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by crlock
do you guys know of a store i Miami, that may have the durango in stock? a friend of mine is traveling to miami next month and i want to ask her to buy it for me, since is way more economic this way.
I would post that question as a new thread here.
Old 04-23-2012, 10:52 AM
Tech Apprentice

Thank you Mark, you've been really helpfull i hope i can be this helpfull soon enough.