Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Good LiPo charger?

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2012, 04:18 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

I use Gens Ace 5300mAh 2S packs with my iCharger 208b. I can charge one in about 20 minutes at 20A! (They say on the label that 5C charging is ok, and it seems to be. There's no battery heating at that charge rate, which I find amazing).

With my setup my runtime is longer than my charge time.
Old 02-24-2012, 05:05 AM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Porter what do you use to power the charger?
Old 02-24-2012, 10:23 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by Newlaw
Possibly 6s if I get into E truggy. Right now I only need 4s at 5amps.

I'd like to be able to charge 2 batts at a time so maybe the Hyperion. I need to do a little research on it but I'm not afraid to spend money if it will hold up.

I can tinker somewhat. I can solder simple stuff and as long as the instructions are detailed I'm comfortable. The power supply doesn't have to be pretty just long lasting and easy to use.
To charge a 6S at 5 amps requires 126 watts of charger power. So 252W for two. Taking into account charger efficiency (~80%) and recommended supply headroom (30%), need around 410 watts of power supply. Which equates to about a 30 amp bench supply at 13.8V. Check your favorite shop.

The other option is a converted 12V computer supply, needs about 34 amps. Strongly recommend a server supply, not a PC supply. Perhaps check out feathermerchantrc.com.

2 x 6S x 5A x 4.2V/cell / 80% x 130% = 409.5 watts

Change numbers as desired for other situations.

Originally Posted by kroggs
Holy crap hour charge times.... I was hoping to buy only 2 batteries but looks like I need 4!!! I just bought a E truggy and was going to run it on a 5s around 6000mah but that sounds like a half hour of running for 2 hours of charging.... Please tell me there is a faster way!!!
Sure is, just need a more powerful charger. The bigger Hyperions, ThunderPowers, and most any iCharger are all popular choices with lots of flexibility and shorter real world charging times than most.
Old 02-24-2012, 01:04 PM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by Dave H
To charge a 6S at 5 amps requires 126 watts of charger power. So 252W for two. Taking into account charger efficiency (~80%) and recommended supply headroom (30%), need around 410 watts of power supply. Which equates to about a 30 amp bench supply at 13.8V. Check your favorite shop.

The other option is a converted 12V computer supply, needs about 34 amps. Strongly recommend a server supply, not a PC supply. Perhaps check out feathermerchantrc.com.

2 x 6S x 5A x 4.2V/cell / 80% x 130% = 409.5 watts

Change numbers as desired for other situations.
So Dave, If I am running 2 3s 5A batteries, I need 204.75 watts to charge both at the same time for 1C charging rate?
Old 02-24-2012, 01:11 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by bigchieftaco
So Dave, If I am running 2 3s 5A batteries, I need 204.75 watts to charge both at the same time for 1C charging rate?
~204 watts of power supply should work well, correct.

126 watts of charger power. And the charger amp capability of course.
Old 02-24-2012, 02:45 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Newlaw
Porter what do you use to power the charger?
I have a big 0-38VDC supply that I use in the garage mostly to test automotive electronics. I think it's rated at 250W, but it's a conservative rating as it's former lab equipment.
Old 08-04-2013, 09:06 AM
Tech Initiate

Did not want to start a new thread.
I see there are TONS and TONS of chargers out there. I see people recommend $30 ones all the way to $180 + chargers. I finally ordered a SPC LIPO 2s 5000MAH battery. (Never ran Lipos before)I will probably run my RC once or twice on the weekends. And might even bring my RC to work and run it in between jobs. So what would be a good priced/quality Lipo charger/balancer to run given my scenario that people have had good luck with and no problems? Thanks!
Old 08-04-2013, 12:32 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Should've created a new thread.
Good choice on battery pack.
Most budget chargers work out just fine.

This at $44 is one of the more popular budget chargers.

If you're looking for something that your local hobby shop is likely to have, look at the similar spec'd hitec at $63.
Old 08-04-2013, 01:08 PM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by justpoet
Should've created a new thread.
Good choice on battery pack.
Most budget chargers work out just fine.

This at $44 is one of the more popular budget chargers.

If you're looking for something that your local hobby shop is likely to have, look at the similar spec'd hitec at $63.
Thanks for the links! Also the props on the Lipo pack. Did quite a bit of searching and debating before ordering a pack. So now its time for a charger since I need one. New threads just clutter the search engine. So I like to search and just bump up threads.

Also, will I need any special connectors/misc to be able to charge my pack with any of those chargers for my Traxxas? I am looking for a charger/balancer that comes with everything so I can plug it in a standard outlet. Or is that not the case with Lipo charger/balancers?
Old 08-04-2013, 07:23 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Most don't, but the ones I linked will both plug into the wall instead of requiring a separate dc power source. Pretty much all chargers will have banana plugs on them to provide power, and then balance ports. The cables that came with your battery should plug straight into either that or a deans plug. Any hobby shop should have plenty of the different kinds of cables to connect whichever type of connector you need, likely a deans charger lead.
Old 08-04-2013, 07:55 PM
Tech Initiate

Right on. I just don't want to get a battery cooker I have the IMAX B6-AC Charger/Discharger 1-6 Cells (GENUINE) from hobbykings in my cart. Just want to make sure before I bite the bullet. I would be down for spending a bit more for a better product that will be accurate and not cook my new lipo I ordered lol. The reviews seem to be good on the genuine ones.
Old 08-04-2013, 10:16 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 70 (100%+)

Should have started a new thread. Back when this one was started,these old farts were using coal powered stoves for power supplies..............

Last edited by Dave H; 08-05-2013 at 05:20 PM. Reason: oops my bad hit wrong button - no changes
Old 08-05-2013, 04:03 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 57 (100%+)

Those are good choices for chargers. Until you've got more packs or are ready to commit, it'd be overkill to get anything more. May be able to score a good used charger here on the forums.
Old 08-05-2013, 11:31 AM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by Wanabrc
Should have started a new thread. Back when this one was started,these old farts were using coal powered stoves for power supplies..............
Why? There are a million threads on this subject. Just adds more clutter on the site. Got the information I needed.

Originally Posted by shagino
Those are good choices for chargers. Until you've got more packs or are ready to commit, it'd be overkill to get anything more. May be able to score a good used charger here on the forums.
Thanks man. I ordered it. HobbyKing kind of sucks. Was an error after paying with Paypal but my order went through to Paypal... Just waiting on confirmation of my order since they do have my money. Shipping was like $12. :/ Bought via US warehouse BTW.

Any tips on charging it for the first time? How many amps etc.
Thanks.
Old 08-05-2013, 03:15 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 57 (100%+)

Originally Posted by 4drturbo
Any tips on charging it for the first time? How many amps etc.
1C on your pack is 5A. Looks like charger max is 5A. Do that. C Rating is mAh/1000. It's "safest" if you charge at 1C. While I'm in the 1C camp, I know plenty of people who go over and don't have an issue.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.