Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Rookie Zone
Futaba Steering Servo >

Futaba Steering Servo

Futaba Steering Servo

Old 01-29-2012, 07:14 PM
Tech Rookie

Default Futaba Steering Servo

I am just about 1 month into the hobby and I have a T-Maxx 3.3. I just had it in the park and hit a tree. Broke the sock servo. I replaced it with a Futaba s3305.

My question is now that its screwed on to the chassis I don't know which piece to use to connect the servo to the steering bellcranks (the round attachment with the holes or cross attachment). Also how do I make sure it will function properly and be centered?

Help is much appreciated. Thanks!
Old 01-29-2012, 08:33 PM
Tech Champion

Don’t use the disk or cross that came with the servo, those are for fly guys. Not familiar with the Maxx, but you need an arm intended for it and a Futaba servo. Different brand servos have different numbers of splines on the output shaft. Check the one you have on the broken servo to start with, maybe you get lucky, again I don't know what the maxx has.

The arm has a screw in the center, take it out. Might take a good careful tug or two to pull the arm off of the splined shaft of the servo. Or carefully pry it, working around as you go.

Maybe someone else can clarify the arm you need, or most any shop should know, that's a popular model.

Turn the radio and RC on, with the trim on the radio centered, get the wheels straight, then mount the correct arm to the servo. Might need to use a screw that came with the servo, as they can be different too. Use the trim on the radio for fine tuning it straight.

Oh, Welcome to the hobby and the board. Enjoy!

Last edited by Dave H; 01-29-2012 at 08:47 PM.
Old 01-29-2012, 09:11 PM
Tech Rookie

Thanks for the info! Very helpful and detailed. I will be sure to hit my nearest HS and see if they have the correct piece.

Thanks for the warm welcome as well!
Old 01-30-2012, 08:57 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 66 (100%+)

Along with what Dave H said:

I believe that Futaba and Traxxas both the same servo arm splines so you should be able the servo arm that is already there.

If they are different get pt#5345 from traxxas, it will come with all the different arms for the different brand servos.
Old 01-31-2012, 11:43 AM
Tech Rookie

Thanks a million Kent! Im going to hit up my LHS to get some parts today...i hope they have everything...I am always so eager to fix it and get back out there!