Search

choosing a 2wd Buggy

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2011, 04:32 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default choosing a 2wd Buggy

hey guys
I'm after a buggy I can race at the local track. I'm after a kit and would rather stay away from rtr and rollers, because I would like to know how to fix it if it breaks. I was mostly looking at the associated b4.1 but then I was recommended a losi 22 and also they kyosho rb5. I will also be racing in the 540 silver can class and I know that for onroad silver can we gear them to a around a FDR 4 or something can you suggest some gearing and a brushed esc with lipo cutoff
thanks
Old 12-15-2011, 04:37 AM
Tech Initiate

Team Durango DEX210?
Old 12-15-2011, 08:38 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

They all can/will be competitive with the right setup or driver so to look at some of the other factors for each...

B4.1 Pros: Cheapest, widespread
Cons: Low fit/finish out of the box, kind of agricultural.

22 Pros: Can go mid-motor out of the box if you're racing carpet, astroturf or a very, very high bite surface.
Cons: Check local parts availability - some stores just don't stock much Losi anymore

RB5 Pros: Best fit/finish out of the box in the 1/10th OffRoad world today. Made in Japan rather than China and it shows.
Cons: Expensive, even worse parts availability.

Durango Pros: Nobody else at your local track will likely have one so if you get it hooked up, you could have a bit of an advantage for a while.
Cons: What some call innovative, others will call quirky and the "pro" for the car may wind up being unachievable. Worse still for your local track just having parts on the shelf.

As for a silvercan class in buggy OffRoad, I've never even heard of it. It sounds pretty slowish to me but in 17.5 gearing is often simply the largest pinion and the smallest spur that will fit on a car so I dunno where you'd even start with that.

For a brushed ESC though, I'd recommend finding a used high-end one from the brushed era in the for-sale area here for dirt cheap (I sold a LRP Quantum 2 Pro for $25 a few months ago) and then adding an external lipo cutoff to that such as this one: https://www.ssl-stormerhobbies.com/c...=ns&pn=NOV5470.
Old 12-15-2011, 01:53 PM
Tech Adept

thanks for that I think I might go for the b4 alot of guys at my track race them and the local store stocks heaps off associated. brushed esc I was looking at the lrp qc3 but I feel I don't want to pay that much just for a brushed esc I have one of them tamiya esc in the tool box I will see how it runs
thanks
Old 12-15-2011, 10:14 PM
Tech Adept

WHat about the trf201 are they any good because i really like tamiyas and theyre quality kits
Old 12-15-2011, 10:25 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Originally Posted by AleD123
WHat about the trf201 are they any good because i really like tamiyas and theyre quality kits
I've never seen one in person, never seen parts for one at a track. That alone would make hesitant but that they sell for almost the same price as the latest Kyosho and I'd never take one over the proven quality of the Kyosho.
Old 12-16-2011, 01:14 AM
Tech Adept

thanks for your help mark will definitely go for the b4.1
thanks
Old 12-18-2011, 01:53 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

B4.1 is a great car you will be very happy.

TRF is ok, but pushes a lot. Def not the best buggy. There are a couple at our track.

For future reference. RB5 is an awesome car, and the latest edition RB5 SP2 WC is an awesome car. It comes with very nice big bore shocks. Speedtech and Amain hobbies have a good range of parts, and are great to deal with. The quality of the kit is great and a real pleasure to build. I have been so happy with mine, in fact blown away. Going to be enjoying a lot of 2wd mod buggy in 2012

BTW, I have raced silver can in Vintage buggies. It is a lot of fun. Very close racing and can teach anyone a great deal about consistent solid corner lines and corner speed.

Good luck!