Search

SCT racing etiquitte

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2011, 10:50 AM
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default SCT racing etiquitte

Hello all:

I have a question about how much bumping is too much in SCT. I've been in a grand total of 3 race days, but yesterday was really quite rough. I think I was wrecked 3 times in the first lap, and I lost my cool and stopped worrying about whether or not there was another truck in the spot I wanted to go to.

What does everyone feel about race-time etiquette? If I accidentally spin or wreck someone, should I stop and let him regain the spot? How much is too much bumping? I'd rather lose clean than win dirty, so I want to make sure I'm doing it right.

Thanks
Matt
Old 12-12-2011, 11:56 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

If you've only raced three times, it sounds like you're racing in a Novice class. That's going to be rough whether you're racing SC, Touring Car or Nitro. It just comes with the territory until you get fast enough that you'll drive away from the field and then move out of that group. Your fellow racers in that situation just probably don't have enough control to not cause wrecks.

Otherwise, how rough SC class is usually relates to a tracks' culture. In my area, people generally stop and wait when they take someone out but even then the class has a bad rap. Yet, when our locals go elsewhere, they often come back with horror stories of the races being rolling demolition derbies. If you race at a track where the race director actively calls people out for being hacks, it will tend to go away. If your track doesn't make an issue of it, then it's time for bigger bumpers for you....
Old 12-12-2011, 12:56 PM
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Thanks Mark. At the track I've been racing at, Novice is 15 and under, so I've been in the "main" heats. However, a lot of the novice racers race there as well. I was damn close to making the A-Main yesterday. Hopefully next week, once I get my new tires that seem to be the choice at the track, I'll get out of the crash-fest.
Old 12-12-2011, 02:01 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by goalie30
At the track I've been racing at, Novice is 15 and under, so I've been in the "main" heats. However, a lot of the novice racers race there as well.
That's a management decision at the track level to ensure a slam-fest. It's often you'll see that the kids pick up the driving part of the hobby quicker than the adults so you're probably winding up with a lot of guys who might otherwise be "long-term novices" bouncing off the sides of the guys who have either learned faster or are already better drivers. It's not uncommon to see a 9 year old kid sharing the drivers' stand with someone holding an AARP card in the Novice class at many places. The kids usually win and the older guys are usually good sports about it.
Old 12-12-2011, 06:29 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 30 (97%+)

Just my point of view, not saying its worth much.

But ScT or CORR racing is dodr to door wheel to wheel racing. With that being said, I have always looked at RC racing this way. If you and I are a few laps down, and I crash you no biggie. But if I would happen to crash the leader or a guy that is driving hard for a position then I'm getting out of his way and letting him have a free pass. Or at least around me. That doent mean next lap, I wont race him for position, but at the point of the crash, it just seems right to me to let him go free and clear.

Now no one has ever told me that this is how its to be. I have about five years of racing exp., 6 years ago. If that makes sense, but its how I did it.

But then I hear stories of other tracks that if you wreck someone and they break, they expect you to pay for their repairs. I've never seen this, but have heard about it.
Old 12-12-2011, 06:56 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by highster

But then I hear stories of other tracks that if you wreck someone and they break, they expect you to pay for their repairs. I've never seen this, but have heard about it.
yeah good luck with that. Some hack is slamming the Money Wall all night long and then you tap him in a turn and all of a sudden he needs new CF towers and graphite arms.
Old 12-12-2011, 08:06 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 30 (97%+)

Originally Posted by Grandturk
yeah good luck with that. Some hack is slamming the Money Wall all night long and then you tap him in a turn and all of a sudden he needs new CF towers and graphite arms.
My thoughts exactly.

When was the last time NASCAR driver A, spun driver B, and a paid for B's repairs?
Old 12-12-2011, 09:09 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by highster
FWIW, in 25ish years of racing, I have never heard of that at all...