Wiki Posts
Search

New to Lipo charging/batteries

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2011, 04:19 PM
Tech Rookie

Default New to Lipo charging/batteries

Hi everyones, always been around the site but finally registered
Not new to r/c by any means. My main hobby is r/c gas helis and now I have gone back to my roots to the r/c car/buggy-truck/truggy world. While most of my rides are nitro powered, though I want to take the jump to lipo instead of constantly charging NiMh all day for such short run times. More for my boys EMaxx then my AE T3 or his AE T3.
I recently picked up 2 different chargers. A iMax Quattro 6 which I have a 13.8v 40amp power supply coming in the mail and also a Turnigy Accucel 6. My question, hopefully a easy one to answer is, I would like to use my Turnigy in house through AC till I get my other power supply in the mail. I have a ATX 400w power supply 12v @ 15a. I know the 12v has to be there but is it ok to use it being that it is 15a and not the 5max the Turnigy says to use? Or is the rating on the power supply just a means of stating the max amp draw the power supply can give? I appreciate any comments, and can't say enough about the help I have received from the reads on this site!

Reki
Old 10-16-2011, 04:19 AM
Tech Regular

The rating on the P/S is the maximum amount of current the power supply can output. The Turnigy charger will only draw about 5 amps, so you are more than covered.

I'd double check the ratings on the ATX power supply. If it's output is 12V @15A, then it's only a 180W supply.
Old 10-16-2011, 10:11 AM
Tech Rookie

Thanks for the info, much appreciated! I do not have multimeter so i am unable to check the actual on the power supply. Just going off the sticker on the back of it. I converted the atx last night and all seems to be good. Turnigy powered right up and cycled a few batteries.

I am running the iMax off one of my deep cell boat batteries. Sweet charger A little more then disturbed with my self for not making the jump long ago. Always thought there was more to charging lipos as well as cycling NiMh. The 3 NiMh 3300 packs I cycled I got around 300 to 400mA·h back towards the battery going off the start and final of the cycle read.

Again many thanks for your thoughts!!

Reki
Old 10-16-2011, 10:39 AM
Tech Rookie

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Last edited by five; 03-10-2013 at 05:52 AM.