Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Returning to RC's

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2011, 01:44 PM
Tech Rookie

Default Returning to RC's

Hello everyone! Im not really new to RC's but I've been out of it fir over 15 years. As I type this I'm sitting next to my Old RC10 gold pan and just purchased an SC10 2wd drive kit. There is much that has changed like LiPo batteries and brushless motors I dont know where to begin. I was thinking about getting rid of my Rc10 for something different! Good to be here! I usually go to Superior Hobbies which is close to my home.
Old 09-25-2011, 05:20 PM
Tech Rookie

I am also returning to R/C, I have been out of it since the early 90's. I now have a 13 year old son and i want to get him into R/C, he seems really interested. We want to race but i am not sure what class to start him in(2wd bug, sc, etc.). I live in Richmond In. could someone please tell me what classes are usually run at the tracks in the area. Thank you.
Old 09-26-2011, 04:23 PM
Tech Rookie

Looks like I'm not the only one returning from a long hiatus. I want to get my kids into RC's as well. Seems like it was a spring board for me as a child to get into real cars and racing. Hoping it will spark an interest in them as well.
Old 09-27-2011, 11:59 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Originally Posted by coyotebro
I am also returning to R/C, I have been out of it since the early 90's. I now have a 13 year old son and i want to get him into R/C, he seems really interested. We want to race but i am not sure what class to start him in(2wd bug, sc, etc.). I live in Richmond In. could someone please tell me what classes are usually run at the tracks in the area. Thank you.
It seems like both of you should start in a Sc class, they are fun, durable, and cheaper than anything else..

Most places have Sc classes.

If you got any more questions just ask ill help the best i can
Old 09-27-2011, 02:53 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 72 (100%+)

Yep, to save money in the long run, just jump in with both feet first with both lipos and brushless systems. More powerful and you will quickly outgrow the nihm and brushed motors and then end up spending more money
Old 09-27-2011, 03:28 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

I too was off for 15yrs. Got back last yr. U will like it better. With Lipo & brushless mtrs it is faster with less work. U can run 15 to 30min on one battery!
SC trucks popular, although 1/8th buggy is getting popular where I am.

Dont pay big bucks for name brand batts or chargers. I have been using cheap foreign ones for a yr no problems.

Here r some places:
Here r 2 good chargers get one big enough what what u will run. Ex. if running 1/8th scale then get a 200w, price $200
http://www.hobbypartz.com/skychargers.html

They have batts on sale now, cant beat price. Best to get r Gen Ace.
free shipping over $50.
http://www.hobbypartz.com/batteries.html

Another site, but shipping is high:
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/index.rc

Become members to the following they will send u coupons sales etc..
US place (great service) :
http://www.amainhobbies.com/index.ph...FS9m7AodSkTB1w

http://www.towerhobbies.com/

Good luck, its a great hobby u can do with your kids. You will meet many great people, racing is just part of it. Thats why I got into it yrs ago.
Old 09-27-2011, 03:37 PM
Tech Rookie

Thank you for the advise. Its been a while I have been trying to catch up as best as i can, things have changed, the sc scene seems to be the thing now. I am going to order Friday and I will keep in mind the sc .
Old 09-27-2011, 03:55 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by coyotebro
Thank you for the advise. Its been a while I have been trying to catch up as best as i can, things have changed, the sc scene seems to be the thing now. I am going to order Friday and I will keep in mind the sc .
The scene also changed in terms of radios and servos.

Look to get a quality Spread Spectrum Radio and good quality servos like Savox / AceRC etc. A $40 servo wont last where as an extra $40 for a savox etc will. A wise investment in this area will help avoid spending more money and losing track time or DNFs. After all you know its not cheap so you want the pleasure to justify the investment.
Old 09-27-2011, 08:09 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 72 (100%+)

Yep, important to get a good servo that wont fail you for quite a while
Old 09-27-2011, 08:20 PM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by blis

Look to get a quality Spread Spectrum Radio and good quality servos like Savox / AceRC etc. A $40 servo wont last where as an extra $40 for a savox etc will. A wise investment in this area will help avoid spending more money and losing track time or DNFs. After all you know its not cheap so you want the pleasure to justify the investment.
This is the best advice. Wise Investments.
Old 09-28-2011, 08:20 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by blis

I bet you my little Hitec HS-325HB will out last any savox...
Old 10-06-2011, 08:13 AM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default Also new.. err. coming back

I'm in the same boat. My 5 year old "found" my old cars in the garage so now I'm cleaning them all and getting them running again. I picked up a few cheap nimh batteries just to get them going again, so far that seems to be enough to satisfy my son.

There is a track about an hour away, hoping to get back to racing soon, but I have to figure out what to upgrade first. I guess I'll just dive in with a Lipo and a brushless system.

I just finished rebuilding a vintage RC10 graphite team car last night, starting on fixing my RC10L SS as well, and I still have a running RS4 PRO3. My guess is that the PRO3 is going to be the best bet for finding a place to race?
Old 10-06-2011, 03:06 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by For_the_win
I bet you my little Hitec HS-325HB will out last any savox...
I wasnt referring to a brand of any kind, there are many good servos out there, the issue was not to buy a cheap one.

PS: Had a look at the specs, that servo isnt recommended for cars with long throws as it has plastic gears, no it wouldnt outlast my servos. We would likely strip them on road! But hey, if it's a good one, then great but I wouldnt risk travelling 2000Km and spending lots of money on travel and expenses and take that kind of risk.