motors...what does timing affect?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

motors...what does timing affect?

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2004, 10:54 PM
Tech Rookie

Default motors...what does timing affect?

I'm back on the R/C car scene after a long time and was wondering if you can tell me what motor timing affects. i have a 19x1 turn motor and i believe the timing is set at 24 degrees. I have a Novak Super Rooster ESC and in the manual it recommends using a motor with 0 degrees timing. Stating that it could cause the ESC to overheat while going in reverse. It's not that big of a deal, i can disable the reverse function on my ESC, i was just curious. I have seen motors that have adjustable timing, would i be better off in the future to buy one while using it with the ESC i have?

Anyone out there in cyberspace that nows the answer...your input on my question would be greatly appreciated!

Thanx
Old 09-19-2004, 12:40 AM
Tech Master

never really thought about it before, but in reverse I belive you would get a negative 24 degrees of timing..
being at zero would be the same in forward and reverse..
think of the timing as in a gas engine.. there is an optimal time for the spark plug to fire depending on where the piston is at.. too soon or too late and you lose power.

I'm sure someone will come up with a better explanation...
Old 09-19-2004, 12:14 PM
Tech Elite

The timing it the relationship between the magnets and the enbell, when you add timing you turn the endbell anti-clockwise. This moves the brushes closer to the front of the magnet since the motor runs anti-clockwise(in most cases). 0* timing is when the brushes are located in the middle of the magnets. Less timing = less comm/brush wear, more torque but less rpm. More timing = more comm/brush wear, less torque but more rpm. Stock motors and 19t motors generally use 24* and are locked in that position to be roar legal. Mod motors arn't locked and generally use 12* to 24* of timing depending on the track, gearing and other factors. Don't worry about your esc, it will easily take a 19t at 24* of timing. Running a motor in reverse with positive timing isn't a good idea, it should only be done for a second or two. If you want reverse you can set the motor to 0* timing and it will work fine.

Last edited by fatdoggy; 09-19-2004 at 02:03 PM.
Old 09-19-2004, 12:50 PM
Tech Rookie

Thanks a lot for the info!