Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The right truck?

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2011, 06:07 AM
Tech Initiate

Questions?? The right truck?

I am new to RC and I am considering purchasing a HPI Savage Flux HP. I enjoyed the videos of the car on the HPI website.

I live on a farm in South Africa, so I am looking for something that will be able to take a beating, as spares are not always easy to come by.

The weather can get very hot in the summer and very wet in the winter, so I want a truck that will be able to handle this. The types of terrain I have to play with are sand, grass, dirt roads and rough cement. The nearest tarred road is kilometres away.

Is this the type of truck I should be looking at and will a beginner be able to enjoy it. We don’t have tracks in my province, so this is merely a fun hobby and racing and circuits is not an issue. One of my mates has a nitro Himoto Eldorado truck and I want something that will be able to keep up.

Last edited by PhoenixGG; 04-12-2011 at 06:20 AM. Reason: new title
Old 04-12-2011, 10:56 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 33 (100%+)

Originally Posted by PhoenixGG
I am new to RC and I am considering purchasing a HPI Savage Flux HP. I enjoyed the videos of the car on the HPI website.

I live on a farm in South Africa, so I am looking for something that will be able to take a beating, as spares are not always easy to come by.

The weather can get very hot in the summer and very wet in the winter, so I want a truck that will be able to handle this. The types of terrain I have to play with are sand, grass, dirt roads and rough cement. The nearest tarred road is kilometres away.

Is this the type of truck I should be looking at and will a beginner be able to enjoy it. We don’t have tracks in my province, so this is merely a fun hobby and racing and circuits is not an issue. One of my mates has a nitro Himoto Eldorado truck and I want something that will be able to keep up.
Are we stuck on electric/brushless power or is nitro an option?
Old 04-12-2011, 11:09 AM
Tech Initiate

I'd prefer to stick to electric, we don't have great quality fuel here.
Old 04-12-2011, 12:24 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)
The flux is an awesome truck that will definitely last you a long time. here's a really cool video of it that i found http://youtu.be/GZZtnaNCFGg
Old 04-12-2011, 12:35 PM
Tech Master

Flux is an awsome truck,you might also check out the E-Revo from Traxxas.
Old 04-12-2011, 12:42 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

I've had a FLux HP for almost 3yrs and have had a ton of fun with mine. Its been one of the better trucks I've owned. Besides normal wear and tear, I've only managed to break one thing - I hit a brick laying in the grass I couldn't see and broke the mounting ear off front skid.

The esc is not waterproof, but it depends on how wet the conditions you're wanting to run in really are. I wouldn't run mine in a rainstorm, but have run it in wet grass (dew in the early am) and haven't had probs.

You do need decent lipos and a good charger, just get some normal spares like slipper pads, pinions etc and enjoy!
Old 04-12-2011, 04:36 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Sounds like given your geographical location, and needs, the Savage Flux is a good choice. You can run a variety of brushless motors, so if it ever gets too slow, you can always upgrade.

Plus, if it's really hot, tuning a nitro engine can be a real PITA. If you're a hobbyist, I'd recommend sticking with a brushless setup.

Finally, again given geographic location, sounds like you'll be ordering most of your parts online. Flux parts are abundant online (CHECK EBAY!!!) and keep a good stock of spare parts on hand. Nothing worse than getting the truck out, breaking an a-arm, and having to wait three weeks for a new one to come in the mail. Invest another $150 in spare parts just to keep on stock... That's what I do, and it makes my outings MUCH longer!
Old 04-14-2011, 10:08 AM
Tech Initiate

Thanks for all the advice guys. It has spurred me on. I found a local hobby shop that stocks spares and the guys there seem very knowledgeable. They are however pushing the 2350. And as with anything expensive, decisions tend to confuse me rather than help. If it worth the extra R1000 for the HP over the 2350.