Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Essential pit tools (electric)

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2004, 08:32 PM
Tech Initiate

Default Essential pit tools (electric)

I've seen a couple pit tool threads but it didn't seem totally comprehensive, and I think this would be a perfect FAQ for rookies. So what should be in a person's pit. Mind you this should be a essential tool list, and nothing overly dramatic or flashy.

Pit Board
Charger
Quality Soldering Iron & Solider
Needle Nose Pliers
Side Cutters
Brushes
Metric Tools (1.5mm - 3mm)
Bins for parts
Carrying apparatus for electronics/vehicle

What else?
Old 08-20-2004, 09:39 PM
Tech Addict

A bit of extra wire, and some connecters for various things. Drinks
Old 08-21-2004, 06:24 AM
Tech Master

Exclamation

add some hobby screw drivers..... you should always have a mouting tape (tape with foam), spare body mount clips, and spare allen screws..

Old 08-21-2004, 08:26 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Exclamation

glue gun for emergency repair yo your body shell..

lubricants for your bearings...
Old 08-21-2004, 09:11 PM
Tech Addict

Originally posted by chris_v1s
glue gun for emergency repair yo your body shell..

lubricants for your bearings...
and for if you get lonly between heats
Old 08-21-2004, 09:52 PM
Tech Regular

Default Re: Essential pit tools (electric)

Originally posted by LTParis
I've seen a couple pit tool threads but it didn't seem totally comprehensive, and I think this would be a perfect FAQ for rookies. So what should be in a person's pit. Mind you this should be a essential tool list, and nothing overly dramatic or flashy.

Pit Board
Charger
Needle Nose Pliers
Side Cutters
Brushes
Bins for parts

What else?
Tools:[list=1][*]My favorite tools are my Ofna allen wrench set. These things are bullet proof. They are guaranteed by Ofna to never round off. I use the metric ones like you mentioned but a couple chassis brands like Associated and Losi are not metric so choose the right one.[*]You mentioned brushes...if you are talking about for cleaning then yes they are a must. I use a little half inch brush after every run. Brushing your car is also a good way to go over everything and look for loose screws or other problems that you might have missed. [*]A pit board is good but also get a camber guage and a ride height guage to go with it or just get a complete setup system like the Integy or Hudy sets. [*]Lexan scissors in case your body needs trimming or repairs.[/list=1]
Supplies other than tools:[list=1][*]A stand for your car.[*]A/C extension cord and a surge supressing power strip like you probably have your computer plugged into.[*]If you race outdoors get some tire sauce...there are lots of types but I like Trinity death grip...you get one bottle of cleaner and one bottle of sauce...works great. [*]Comm drops for your motor.[*]Battery discharger.[*]Pit towels...lay one out on your table to keep tools and screws and stuff from rolling off onto the ground. Also keeps the table top clean.[*]A fan like the one in this picture is good for cooling batteries while they charge (some people disagree with this) and its also good for cooling your entire car, batteries, motor and all, after the race.[*]If you pit indoors or under a canopy you may want a light. Get one that has an adjustable neck and its own heavy base so you dont have to worry about clipping it to something.[*]If you pit outdoors everytime like I do you might want to pickup a folding table or two with a comfy chair and one of those pop-up canopies to shelter you and your gear from the sun (or rain).[/list=1]
Advanced tools and supplies:[list=1][*]Motor comm lathe for skimming the commutator. This makes the motor run much better. If you have the ability you should cut the comm at least once before each race day. (some people cut after each single race)[*]Tire warmers can help your tires be more "hooked up" on those first couple of laps until they heat up naturally.[*]Motor dyno/tester can tell you how well your motors are running. If you try tweaking your motor by modifying the brushes or changing the timing, a motor dyno can tell you the results in terms of amp draw and RPMs.[/list=1]

I will probably think of more later.
Old 08-21-2004, 11:10 PM
Tech Addict

Default Re: Re: Essential pit tools (electric)

Originally posted by Qwiglee
[B][*]You mentioned brushes...if you are talking about for cleaning then yes they are a must. I use a little half inch brush after every run. Brushing your car is also a good way to go over everything and look for loose screws or other problems that you might have missed.
the kind of brush that goes in your motor
Old 08-22-2004, 05:46 AM
Tech Initiate

Qwiglee, really great stuff! Man it's been so long since I went to race, I would have forgotten stupid links like a glue gun and sicsors and a light.

Most thanks.
Old 08-23-2004, 10:29 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Definetly a pit towel or rag and motor spray.
Old 08-23-2004, 10:36 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

When I go racing I bring on a full setup of pretty much everything. Let's put it this way. If you use any tool for your RC car whether it was for something small or big, you should bring it. As your tool collection becomes larger. You can always downsize by taking out tools that can be done with another with multiple uses. Tools & RC racing go hand in hand. Gotta spend as much money on your tools to keep your rc racing cars in top shape.
Old 08-25-2004, 12:12 AM
Tech Elite

Default Re: Essential pit tools (electric)

Originally posted by LTParis

Pit Board
Charger
Needle Nose Pliers
Side Cutters
Brushes
Bins for parts

What else?
All of the above plus a setup station, setup guide and a monthly pit pass to use to practice.
Old 08-25-2004, 11:02 PM
Tech Regular

A MAGNENT! i cant tell you how many times i have seen people missplace stuff like motor spacers body clips etc. but mine are always stuck nicely to my little magnent pad!
Old 09-05-2004, 09:44 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

awesome advice kh15!!! sometimes minor things makes a big difference...
Old 09-06-2004, 07:31 PM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

I would also add heat gun and heat shrink
Old 09-06-2004, 07:33 PM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

I am starting to complete my "garage" essentials, and track essentials....basically two of everything...one set for home, and one set for the track (which stays in my car's trunk)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.