R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Rookie Zone

Old 10-22-2010, 02:18 PM   #1
Tech Initiate

Default Another Getting Started thread

I am in the Charleston, SC area looking to get back into RC.

I had a Tamiya Falcon, and another 1/10 electric 2wd truck (don't remember what it was) as a teenager. I tooled around with them for a few years (fixing them more than running them), then forgot about them.

It looks like (according to the interwebs) most people race 1/8 nitro 4WD here in Charleston, which I know next to nothing about. I'd prefer to race 1/10 Electric 2WD, but if nobody is racing that class....

So, would an Ofna Hyper 7 Ready To Run be a good nitro machine to cut my teeth on?

(Speaking of RTR: do they sell the RTR with much, much, much cheaper parts? Is that why the RTR version is always cheaper than the barren Kit version?)

Also, I was also wondering if I could spend a little more on the car and maybe go cheap on the Transmitter setup? Would that be a good way to save money and still get a nice car, or is the Transmitter equipment too essential to skimp on?

Regardless, I'd like to keep the whole shebang under $300. Any suggestions? Thank you for your time.
RCLeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 05:36 PM   #2
Tech Master

Welcome...good luck keeping it under $300...
"All short course drivers aren't hackers,but all hackers are short course drivers"
racer53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 06:40 PM   #3
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

you cant really have a budget in this hobby. if you do, youre just gonna regret getting in. i had a budget of $250 and already had a 1/10 touring car. ive blown past that and am in the $2000 range. once youre hooked, youre HOOKED! but good luck!
Brenda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 06:41 PM   #4
Tech Addict

Yeah, I think most RTR's use cheapo parts..
Zac_with_no_K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 10:14 PM   #5
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Spend the money on a good transmitter (TX). You'll be able to use it with every vehicle you buy, and you WILL buy more than one....
Timbulb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2010, 02:58 AM   #6
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

im relatively new also and all i can say is $300 isnt gonna get you very far........lol........ok now, when i started i went and bought a rtr 1/10th stadium truck that came with everything and now that is my kids car. i would advise buying a middle of the road kit and a middle of the road controller. if you get a controller that is somewhat programable and has a multi car function then you will be good there. as far as the kit goes, go to your local track and just start looking at everything that the guys are running, maybe see what you can get used LOCALLY..........good luck and have fun...
sposored by overtime............lots and lots of overtime
thaghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2010, 05:28 AM   #7
Tech Regular

I just started again after 3 years of being away, I spent over 1k getting going again... This was for short course, I bought 2 batteries, charger, motor, esc, Ultima SC-R, Proline body, paint, Tires. I reused my radio, receiver, servo, transponder, and power supply. So yea good luck keeping it under $300...
Jason.Dias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2010, 08:19 AM   #8
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)

Welcome... I also believe rtrs have cheaper parts that why they can sell them that much cheaper. Welcome Again.
Matt Ward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2010, 09:59 AM   #9
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by racer53 View Post
Welcome...good luck keeping it under $300...
Yeah, thats pretty much my thoughts too....find one used locally and get lucky its not in too bad of shape so it doesn't need extensive repairs/parts replacement. You can cut corners on radio gear to some extent, but its important piece of gear especially if you're racing. You don't want to sacrifice radio capabilities that help your racing.
Duster_360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2010, 10:21 AM   #10
Tech Initiate

And what about this guy:

Kyosho INFERNO NEO

A little more than I wanted to spend, but not much...and its a Kyosho. They've been around since I was a kid and I'd trust bottom of the line Kyosho over one of the above I've never heard of.

Unless you guys tell me different...which is why I'm here! Thoughts?
Old 10-23-2010, 10:28 AM   #11
Tech Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCLeo View Post
And what about this guy:

Kyosho INFERNO NEO

A little more than I wanted to spend, but not much...and its a Kyosho. They've been around since I was a kid and I'd trust bottom of the line Kyosho over one of the above I've never heard of.

Unless you guys tell me different...which is why I'm here! Thoughts?
Where the heck did my second post go?

Anyway I listed several of the bottom dwelling RTR's:

Ofna Hyper 7
Ofna Ultra Lx One
HSP Bazooka
CEN Matrix R2

etc, etc, etc
Old 10-25-2010, 02:32 PM   #12
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Unfortunately most rtrs come with substandard parts for racing. They give you enough to get the thing going and thats about it.

Not saying it cant be done though, ive thrown a few rtrs on the track and got some decent results.

Shortly after though, you are looking to replace the cheapest stuff that wore out, broke, etc. Not to mention there leaves some places where you cant make much needed adjustments in some rtr kits. Ex: solid plastic toe/camber links for some kits.

If you are wanting to race rtr i would do some research and find out what the upgradablity is for it, does it share parts?

Im looking into getting into the 1/8 nitro truggy class (coming from 1/10 electro) and am way above and beyond a $300 budget and i havent even gotten my kit yet... There are however so many options you can go with, used/rtr like stated but its hard to do with a low budget in mind.

I had looked at that Inferno Neo a few weeks back and if you look for it on Amainhobbies site, there is an included youtube video. Looks ok to start with if you ask me.

Also, like stated, it would be a huge help to run down to a local track on a busy practice day and get all the info you want. Most people in the hobbie are willing to share a bunch of general knowledge. A little long winded but I hope it helped, Good luck
GizmoJunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 02:19 PM   #13
Tech Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by GizmoJunkie View Post
Unfortunately most rtrs come with substandard parts for racing. They give you enough to get the thing going and thats about it.

Not saying it cant be done though, ive thrown a few rtrs on the track and got some decent results.

Shortly after though, you are looking to replace the cheapest stuff that wore out, broke, etc. Not to mention there leaves some places where you cant make much needed adjustments in some rtr kits. Ex: solid plastic toe/camber links for some kits.

If you are wanting to race rtr i would do some research and find out what the upgradablity is for it, does it share parts?

Im looking into getting into the 1/8 nitro truggy class (coming from 1/10 electro) and am way above and beyond a $300 budget and i havent even gotten my kit yet... There are however so many options you can go with, used/rtr like stated but its hard to do with a low budget in mind.

I had looked at that Inferno Neo a few weeks back and if you look for it on Amainhobbies site, there is an included youtube video. Looks ok to start with if you ask me.

Also, like stated, it would be a huge help to run down to a local track on a busy practice day and get all the info you want. Most people in the hobbie are willing to share a bunch of general knowledge. A little long winded but I hope it helped, Good luck
Thanks for the advice (everybody).

I went with the Hot Bodies D8.

And yea, like everyone has said, it's going to be well over $300 before all is said and done. I just hope this underpriced($265.00??? from Amain) kit holds up like everybody seems to say it does.