Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Servo Saver question

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2010, 08:37 AM
Tech Adept

Default Servo Saver question

A couple of weeks ago (the last time I ran) I did a nice cartwheel and broke the servo saver on my T4.1 RTR. I replaced it and within 20 minutes later it broke again. Replaced it and then my ESC went out. Got the ESC replaced by Associated (great customer service) and when I ran yesterday it broke again. The second time it broke I just hit a pipe and yesterday I hit a wall but not really that hard. The first time it broke I get it. The second and third don't seem right. Am I doing something wrong at install, it it a weak point, or have I just gotten lucky a couple of times?
Old 10-16-2010, 08:52 AM
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

Make sure that it's working, you should be able to hold each half (out of the truck) and get it to move, it should take some force but it should move. Which piece is breaking? I've only broken one and it was from a wall hit at a funny angle that the servo saver wasn't going to help.
Old 10-16-2010, 01:28 PM
Tech Adept

It's the lower half that has the control arm on it. Not the servo side.
Old 10-16-2010, 02:04 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Ive been through 4 servo savers on my rtr t4.1
Make sure when hitting or cartwheeling that you let go of the steering on your transmitter

Another thing is how you rebuild it
I learned a few things after breaking a few in one night about how to put them together (properly)

Pull out your AE book, make sure you use the little shim washers, and black grease, run the servo saver bolt all the way down
Once complete and installed the saver into the brace dont tighten to much (where you got the little bushings) it should move freely when turning

But make sure the servo saver itself is tight, you should be able to move it, and it will go up and down (hence having that spring in there)

After i finally took the time to read the book, and talked to my LHS i have not broken another one.... yet

I also have a high torque digital servo though

REBUILD correctly, LET GO of the wheel when rolling or crashing
Old 10-16-2010, 02:06 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

you should come out to bremerton track tonight/today and i can try to help you if you want
its open practice
Old 10-16-2010, 02:18 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

another thing that u can do while u r rebuilding that piece apply just a lil amount of shock fluid or some kind of lube where they slide together to keep it from wanting to bind...and as u r tightening the servo saver keep checking the tension on the spring...i usually tighten mine all the way down then back it off about 1 full turn...this is what works for me tho
Old 10-16-2010, 05:34 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by mattleegee
you should come out to bremerton track tonight/today and i can try to help you if you want
its open practice
Thanks Matt but can't make it out there tonight. Try to get out there once a week or so tho.
Got it back together. Lubed the saver and everything moves freely. Hopefully that will make the difference. The biggest problem is probably that thing connected to the transmitter
Thanks for the help guys.
Vic