Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Rookie Zone
stripped screw stuck in wheel axle, help!! >

stripped screw stuck in wheel axle, help!!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

stripped screw stuck in wheel axle, help!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2010, 04:54 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)
Default stripped screw stuck in wheel axle, help!!

anyone experianced this b4? my hex screw is stuck in the wheel axle and it's stripped, i can't get to screw it out!!! help....
Old 08-31-2010, 09:28 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

theres a few things you can do. ive done this before and what i did was use jb weld on the screw and attact a screw or something strong on the other end. when it dries, use pliers to twist it off. another thing i used a small cutter like a dremel drill to cut a groove into it so you can use a flat screw driver and unscrew it out. hope it helps.
Old 08-31-2010, 09:30 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

if you can get a little bit of a grip on the screw, what you could do is tap on it really hard! and sometimes itll twist off. but its like a 4/10 times that itll work.
Old 08-31-2010, 09:54 PM
Tech Regular

Dremel with a cutting wheel and be done with it.

Do yourself a favor and get some good hex drivers, You won't round as many screws as you can with the goofy keys.

PS: Take it easy on those axle screws, they don't need to be super tight, they don't spin at all because the wheel rides on bearings.
Old 08-31-2010, 10:21 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

If you have the right size Torx driver * that just barely fits the tip in, push hard while slowly turning counter clockwise. It will usually get it out. I've had to do this a few times.
Old 09-01-2010, 08:18 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

You can try a new L wrench and a little CA glue - glue the wrench into the screw. Sometime that works.

You need a better quality driver so this won't happen. Make sure you get ones that have hardened tips. If they're not hardened, they will round off and strip screw heads.
Old 09-01-2010, 04:33 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by zrxrxr
Dremel with a cutting wheel and be done with it.

Do yourself a favor and get some good hex drivers, You won't round as many screws as you can with the goofy keys.

PS: Take it easy on those axle screws, they don't need to be super tight, they don't spin at all because the wheel rides on bearings.
ya man, didn't realise that when building my 808, stripped the screw trying to dismantle it now, sigh...
Old 09-02-2010, 04:12 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 7 (89%+)

If none of that works out for you they do make something called easy out. They make different size sets but that will cost you maybe $10 or so. You could pick it up at most car shops like auto zone, pep boys, harbor freight places like that.
Old 09-03-2010, 04:54 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by WhoIsShaun
If none of that works out for you they do make something called easy out. They make different size sets but that will cost you maybe $10 or so. You could pick it up at most car shops like auto zone, pep boys, harbor freight places like that.
sorry bro, dun think it's available here in Malaysia where i stay, but thanks anyway i heard of screw extractors, anyone tried? but i wonder if it's that small that be able to go into my wheel axle...
Old 09-03-2010, 05:45 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 71 (100%+)

An EZ Out is a screw extractor. My vote would be the Dremel slot and a flat blade screw driver. I've done that with ball studs and it works awesome. Which ever choice you make, don't get in a hurry. Take your time.
Old 09-03-2010, 05:49 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

for the location dremel and flathead is the easiest and if you dont go too deep the wheel will still be fine.

If you get a reverse drill bit that will usually spin right out...
Old 09-03-2010, 06:12 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

you are going to have to use a screw extractor cause of it beeing in your hub you will never get a dremel in there with a cutoff wheel.best way to do it is heat up the hex with a heat gun or something to break down any loctite or anything holding it tight and go slow with good pressure on the extractor. you want it to bite good not spin on the set screw.
Old 09-03-2010, 08:48 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 71 (100%+)

Originally Posted by jbright33
you are going to have to use a screw extractor cause of it beeing in your hub you will never get a dremel in there with a cutoff wheel.best way to do it is heat up the hex with a heat gun or something to break down any loctite or anything holding it tight and go slow with good pressure on the extractor. you want it to bite good not spin on the set screw.
Not sure where you're thinking this is, but it sounds like a front wheel on a B4. It's just a hex head screw going through the wheel. The Dremel cutoff wheels are plenty small enough to do this without damaging the wheel. There should not be any Loctite, etc involved here. This is a screw that gets taken out on a regular basis for car cleaning, bearing replacement etc.
Old 09-03-2010, 11:19 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)

Originally Posted by aiyoaiya
sorry bro, dun think it's available here in Malaysia where i stay, but thanks anyway i heard of screw extractors, anyone tried? but i wonder if it's that small that be able to go into my wheel axle...
I have used a screw extractor with great results.
Old 09-04-2010, 01:10 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 7 (89%+)

Originally Posted by klaymon
An EZ Out is a screw extractor.

I thought he had a screw stuck did I miss something?

Originally Posted by aiyoaiya
anyone experianced this b4? my hex screw is stuck in the wheel axle and it's stripped, i can't get to screw it out!!! help....

Easy out, screw extractor its all the same thing just different names. A reversed thread drill bit and yes they make some small enough.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.