Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Rookie Zone
Cooling head RS4 >

Cooling head RS4

Cooling head RS4

Old 08-18-2010, 07:24 PM
Tech Initiate

Default Cooling head RS4

Hey guys I was wondering if this cooling head is worth a crap and if anyone has had any experience with it or one like it?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...=263602_263622

Thanks
Old 08-19-2010, 05:19 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

I run several of these heads. I use one on my 2.5Tmaxx, one on a 4.6SS Sav and one on a GXR28 Kyosho engine. They work and are worth every penny. Its hot here and I'm not doing this so I can run leaner and get away with it. I tune normally then install a Nova cooling head to drop temps so engines run cooler and last longer. The heads are good for 30-40F temp drop, plus they look great! The fit and finish of their products has always been top notch.

I'm sur ethe one for the RS4 will be no diff.
Old 08-19-2010, 07:59 PM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by Duster_360 View Post
I run several of these heads. I use one on my 2.5Tmaxx, one on a 4.6SS Sav and one on a GXR28 Kyosho engine. They work and are worth every penny. Its hot here and I'm not doing this so I can run leaner and get away with it. I tune normally then install a Nova cooling head to drop temps so engines run cooler and last longer. The heads are good for 30-40F temp drop, plus they look great! The fit and finish of their products has always been top notch.

I'm sur ethe one for the RS4 will be no diff.
Awesome thats good to hear, I'll go ahead and get one because same as here its hot! So when it says it allows you to run leaner, pretty much you can lean your motor out more since its not running a higher temperature? Kinda confused.
Old 08-20-2010, 02:26 PM
Tech Lord

Thats exactly what I don't do. I get one running right, good smoke trail and good punch off the line. Then I charge the head to get the temp drop cause the motor temps are high. My 2.5Tmaxx was running 290-300F and running great, just wasn't going to last long at that kind of temp (95-100F outside temps). I installed Nova head and it now runs 255-265F which is acceptable.

Its easy to lean it back out to the same temp that was too hot to start with, but you're risking running with too little oil and that'll just fry the motor. That's something I don't agree with if they're advertising being able to run leaner due to changing the head. Maybe it would work that way if it was 75F outside temp, but its not where I live. The leaner you get, the less oil the engine sees. I've seen plenty of these get less than a gallon before they're worn out casue they're simply being run too lean.
Old 08-21-2010, 05:26 AM
Tech Initiate

Thats exactly what I don't do. I get one running right, good smoke trail and good punch off the line. Then I charge the head to get the temp drop cause the motor temps are high. My 2.5Tmaxx was running 290-300F and running great, just wasn't going to last long at that kind of temp (95-100F outside temps). I installed Nova head and it now runs 255-265F which is acceptable.

Its easy to lean it back out to the same temp that was too hot to start with, but you're risking running with too little oil and that'll just fry the motor. That's something I don't agree with if they're advertising being able to run leaner due to changing the head. Maybe it would work that way if it was 75F outside temp, but its not where I live. The leaner you get, the less oil the engine sees. I've seen plenty of these get less than a gallon before they're worn out casue they're simply being run too lean.
Appreciate the info, I will go ahead and get it.
Old 08-21-2010, 07:01 AM
Tech Lord

The only thing I've noticed with this head is as shiny as it is, IR temp guns won't give you the correct temp. I paint a spot around the glow plug flat black and temp that area. It seems to give temps that make sense.

I had a 2.5 with the TRX temp gauge that uses a in head thermistor and noticed my IR gun and it didn't agree. When I painted the area around the plug, then the two temps basically agreed with each other.
Old 08-21-2010, 08:00 PM
Tech Initiate

The only thing I've noticed with this head is as shiny as it is, IR temp guns won't give you the correct temp. I paint a spot around the glow plug flat black and temp that area. It seems to give temps that make sense.

I had a 2.5 with the TRX temp gauge that uses a in head thermistor and noticed my IR gun and it didn't agree. When I painted the area around the plug, then the two temps basically agreed with each other.
I can see how that could happen, I'll be sure to do that!