Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Rookie Zone
Old Tamiya Hornet slipping >

Old Tamiya Hornet slipping

Old Tamiya Hornet slipping

Old 07-08-2010, 01:34 AM
Tech Rookie

Default Old Tamiya Hornet slipping

Hi, just got my old Hornet out of storage (for the last 20 years!). Got a new battery and checked it out, regreased etc, all looks good. BUT it slips when taking off and just gradually speeds up, I can hear it is trying to go full speed straight away but something is slipping, what could it be? Motor?, checked the dif and all cogs are still good. How should I start troubleshooting?? ANY HELP APPRECIATED!

Thanks
Old 07-08-2010, 06:39 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Slipper clutch?
Old 07-08-2010, 09:43 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

maybe your gear mesh is off or your wheels aren't seated right on the axles
Old 07-08-2010, 11:54 AM
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Timbulb
Slipper clutch?
young pup, Hornets don't have a slipper clutch..

this thread is in the off-road section too......
Old 07-08-2010, 07:17 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

If the diff is a ball diff, the diff rings could be slipping separately from the balls (happened on my stadium truck until I tightened the diff all the way up), but I don't imagine the Hornet has a ball diff...
Old 07-08-2010, 10:15 PM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by G33Kster
If the diff is a ball diff, the diff rings could be slipping separately from the balls (happened on my stadium truck until I tightened the diff all the way up), but I don't imagine the Hornet has a ball diff...
Hi, thanks everyone for helping. It's an original 1984 Hornet so doesn't have a ball diff, I've also got this thread going in the Electric-Off Road forum so I'll continue over there and post updates, thanks again.
Old 07-10-2010, 01:35 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 70 (100%+)

The diff could be stripped, pinion is loose or the tires weren't glued to the rims.
Old 07-11-2010, 01:18 AM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by Wanabrc
The diff could be stripped, pinion is loose or the tires weren't glued to the rims.
Hi, you got it! The tyres weren't glued to the rim, glued them last night and shes all go today, just like I remember it from when I was a kid. My 4yr old son drove it today for his first time and ran it full speed straight into the kerb! It just bounced off and didn't brake anything, good tough old machine!
Old 07-11-2010, 12:32 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 70 (100%+)

Originally Posted by AlanH
Hi, you got it! The tyres weren't glued to the rim, glued them last night and shes all go today, just like I remember it from when I was a kid. My 4yr old son drove it today for his first time and ran it full speed straight into the kerb! It just bounced off and didn't brake anything, good tough old machine!
Yea, kinda remember that from experience (stripped diff also). That's why those old manuels (new ones too) always mention to glue the tires. Those old Tamiya cars were and still are pretty indestructable. I stil have an old Hornet that my brother bought second hand over 17 years ago! I passed through a couple of owners and it made it's way back to me. It still a runner.................
Old 07-17-2010, 06:54 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Yours didn't have the 3-piece rims? They're a bear to put the center in the tire, but they stay locked like none other.