Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Rookie Zone
How does ESC work? >

How does ESC work?

How does ESC work?

Old 05-02-2004, 09:15 PM
Tech Apprentice

Default How does ESC work?

Can any body tell me the concept of ESC?? I have the following questions:

- whats the relationship between the ESC compatibility and the motor's number of turns?
- What make an ESC good? Bad?
- How come some ESC can reverse and some can't?
- I've noticed a little button on my ESC (Don't know the name), and whenever something's not right, my friend just clicked on it for many times until he gets it working. He never told me when I asked him about it. What is that button and whats its purpose?

Thank you. Any comment will be greatly appreciated.
Old 05-02-2004, 10:01 PM
Tech Master

Default Re: How does ESC work?

Originally posted by kabam
Can any body tell me the concept of ESC?? I have the following questions:

- How come some ESC can reverse and some can't?
- I've noticed a little button on my ESC (Don't know the name), and whenever something's not right, my friend just clicked on it for many times until he gets it working. He never told me when I asked him about it. What is that button and whats its purpose?

Thank you. Any comment will be greatly appreciated.
-Some ESCs do not have reverse because they are used for racing. In racing, you are not allowed to have reverse. If you do have a ESC with reverse, you must turn reverse function off when racing. We have corner or turn marshalls because of this rule.

-The little button is the setup button. Most ESC can be set up with only one button. Some high end ESCs have different profiles. Some for more torque and some for more speed in the top end.
Old 05-03-2004, 10:06 AM
Tech Apprentice

Thanks.

But what's the concept of the ESC?

And, how does the button work? How would I know when it adds more torpue or speed? When I click on the button on my ESC, it just flashed and beeped.
Old 05-03-2004, 11:35 AM
Tech Fanatic

okay, the button is the setup button, like said before, if you didn't know that, you should read the instruction manual, because every companie does there button sequence different, the manual is a handy tool.
The concept of the ESC, is take power from the battery, and in very, very quick pulses, gives it to the motor. The better ESC, the smoother and quicker the pulses, also a better ESC will use less power to do the same job, which means better run times becasue of less ohms. The difference is minimal, but it's there. A better esc will also give you a much smoother throttle, because of the smooth more even pulses. It also gives you the chance to change the amount of power being given to the motor(with help of the RX), which means change of speed. Sure you can be a drag car, and just have a switch(which is full powe/no power), or you can get a ESC and have all those in between powers.
That should help you along.
Old 05-03-2004, 10:55 PM
Tech Fanatic

The ESC sends power to the motor, when you pull the throttle slightly it gives slight power, the harder you press the more juice

the esc can only handle so much power, so the more demanding Motors, say 13Turn or less needs a better esc that can handle all that power.
Old 05-04-2004, 11:10 AM
Tech Master

Default Re: Re: How does ESC work?

Originally posted by DOMOisCOOL
-Some ESCs do not have reverse because they are used for racing. In racing, you are not allowed to have reverse. If you do have a ESC with reverse, you must turn reverse function off when racing. We have corner or turn marshalls because of this rule.

-The little button is the setup button. Most ESC can be set up with only one button. Some high end ESCs have different profiles. Some for more torque and some for more speed in the top end.
Kabam - other ESC don't have reverse but instead a BRAKE and Drag brake profile..

Pro3racer/smoke21
Kabam - they are right.. Are you familiar with the osciloscope?.. with that equipment these are call as SIGNAL.. Hope we all help you figure out what an ESC is all about as wel as its function in the kit. Bottomline is its the Brain of your kit and the motor is the heart.
Old 05-04-2004, 02:33 PM
Tech Apprentice

Ok.. thank y'all for the help.
Old 05-11-2004, 05:39 AM
Tech Master

Exclamation

Originally posted by kabam
Ok.. thank y'all for the help.

HAPPY RACING BRO!!!
Old 05-14-2004, 07:28 AM
Tech Rookie

so if i have a esc rated at 12-36 turns if i go to a 10 turn motor will it kill the esc staight away or will it run for a while
Old 05-15-2004, 07:39 AM
Tech Elite

don't try it at all. just use the specific esc for the motor to prevent damage.
Old 05-15-2004, 03:08 PM
Tech Fanatic

it will run for a while, like 2 minutes most likely, and not going full speed those 2 minutes. What kind of esc is it?
Old 05-15-2004, 05:38 PM
Tech Rookie

its a lrp ipc super sport 12-36 turns
Old 05-15-2004, 08:50 PM
Tech Fanatic

don't go over with the lrp's, never had any good endings from that. Actually, did you want to go with a 10 turn. don't over gear, and if possible solder on a capacitor, a S-diode, everything, and it might save you, but i wouldn't try it. Actually, "I" would, but i don't want to tell some one to try it.
Old 05-15-2004, 09:10 PM
Tech Rookie

i was looking at a 9 or 8 turn motor
i have just got a esc with no motor limit
do you have an recommendations on good motors
thanks
Old 05-16-2004, 09:43 AM
Tech Fanatic

for mod motors, the Team Orion V2 motors are pretty quick, but i would look into some tuner motors, like Paradigm, best mod motor i have ever gotten came from them. Right now i would stay away from reedy, i've heard of a few bad reply's from there mod motors in TC's.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2023 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.