Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Rookie Zone
Recommendations for r/c truck >

Recommendations for r/c truck

Recommendations for r/c truck

Old 09-04-2001, 01:47 PM
Tech Rookie

Default Recommendations for r/c truck

I would like to get a few opinions of what kind of r/c vehicle I should look at buying. I am just getting back into this and am unfamiliar with current models. I have determined that I want to get a truck but don't really know what the popular ones are. I have decided that I want to start out with electric, this time out, but other than that I ask for your input. I don't necessarily want to run out and but the most expensive kit out there but I do want one that has modified parts available. I don't think that I want to start racing right away, but I may want to in the future. There seems to be a lot of prebuilt kits out there but I would prefer a kit that requires assembly.
So I put it to the experts, if you were to start over again, what kind of truck would be best, two wheel drive, four wheel drive, a monster truck, a stadium truck etc.

TIA
Old 09-04-2001, 02:11 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Team Associated's T3 or Team Losi's XXX-T. These two companies have been around for A LONG time, have numerous National and World titles, and can be found at almost EVERY hobby store and track. You can't go wrong with either of these two models.
Old 09-04-2001, 03:26 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

If you're planning on racing, I'd definately suggest a XXXT or T3. Those 2 trucks are the only 2 doing any winning, as far as I know. Parts are easy to find, there's lots of hopups available, they're affordable, easy to build, and are FAST.
Old 09-04-2001, 05:10 PM
Tech Elite

I would suggest the XXXT spec if you don't want to spend to much money, but if money is'nt an issue just the the regular XXXT.
Old 09-04-2001, 05:19 PM
Tech Master

or wait and buy the Francis edition XXXT
Old 09-05-2001, 11:11 AM
Tech Rookie

I ran across that Matt Francis XXXT, that looks way cool. According to the team losi web site it should be available this month. Do anyone know if it's out yet?

I have noticed that there aren't near as many hobby shops that sell the Losi product vs the Associated. I don't think there are any in my area so I guess I'll have to buy on line. Anyone know of a good on line hobby shop?

I appreciate all the help and think I'll go with the suggestions that I've gotten. I looked at quite a few race results and they indicate that there are only two trucks available , well maybe I should say that there are only two competitive trucks. Thanks for the expert advice.

Cheers,
Old 09-05-2001, 12:20 PM
Tech Master

www.towerhobbies.com is your best bet...if your LHSs dont carry parts for the Losi and money isn't any prob, get the Factory Team T3..I think since Horizon bought Losi, some shops just stopped carrying Losi stuff..
Old 09-05-2001, 01:09 PM
Tech Fanatic

If the LHS's in your area don't carry parts for Losi's, get a T3. It's every bit as competitive. If you break something, you're not going to want to wait to get it in the mail from whoever you order from. It'd be much easier to just go to the LHS, buy the part, then go home and fix it. Also, LHS's can help you with problems... something an online store can't.
Old 09-06-2001, 02:25 PM
Tech Rookie

After reading JeffCs last post I had about decided to go with the T3. But today I had to take a long lunch and found that a couple of the Hobby Bench stores in my area carried XXXT parts. So now I'm thinking Losi again. I happened to be reading a thread about ESCs and a they had a link to a hobby shop is Southern Cal. While I was browsing I happened to find a Matt Francis XXXT for $219. Well I couldn't pass that up.
Everyone was such a help in determining what truck to buy I wanted to ask what kind of speed controller and radio should I buy. I read quite a bit about the Cyclone speed controller in the another thread but they were referring to more of a hard track type car. Would the cyclone be a decent ESC for this kind of truck, if so which model would be better the C2 or the 2TC?
Once again, thanks for all the excellent information.

Cheers,
Old 09-06-2001, 04:40 PM
Tech Master

go with the C2, the TC2 has profiles specifically for touring cars..I run a C2 in my touring car though, and havent had no problems at all with it...good luck and have fun!
Old 09-06-2001, 04:42 PM
Tech Master

oh and yes, the C2 will work great! A good motor to start out with would be a Trinity P2K, if you are interested, I have one new in package for sell...Check my post in for sale forum...thanks
Old 09-06-2001, 05:10 PM
Tech Fanatic

I've got a CycloneTC in my sedan, and a Cyclone in my 1/12. Both have always worked great for me, however my CTC is in the shop for replacement. I don't know what happened, but I'm not too worried about it. I've had it for well over a year now, and it's always worked perfect. I'd reccomend the C2 or Ctc2 to anyone. If you plan on getting a Pit Wizard or Millenium Pro charger (I think the Pit Wizard software is in the charger) it won't matter if you get the C2 or Ctc2, as you can change the profiles. If you're just getting the ESC, get the C2.

I've heard good things about LRP escs. V7.1 and SR are supposed to be good. Heard some horror stories about the new Quantums, though... Never seen anything happen to one.

Tekin's are great, but it's hard to say if Tekin is going to be in business for much longer, and if so, what caliber business they'll be.

I don't know much about GM, or Keyence, or any other brand.

Any ideas for a radio, and servo yet???

The motor you get, really depends on the track. Just see what everybody else runs.
Old 09-06-2001, 09:56 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

ESC's

Tekin is no longer in the RC business. They are still in business, but working with larger scale electronic stuff.

LRP. 7.1 and SR are REAL good, if you can still find them!!! I have 3 Quantums, and have not had a problem with any of them! I've heard horror stories also, but have yet to SEE the horror...

Novak. Great ESC's. Never run any, but you can't go wrong with a Novak.
Old 09-06-2001, 09:58 PM
Tech Initiate

IF you buy a novak c2 or tc2 becareful I have seen people have every connection right and they turn it on and the thing blows up
I personally prefer older cyclones because they are bullet proof and so are the LRP V7.1s But it is up to you on speed controls and radios any thing that is FM
Old 09-10-2001, 01:50 PM
Tech Rookie

JeffC,

You specificially asked what kind of servo I was looking for. Is there a reason? I've heard of replacing the steering servo with one with steel (or aluminum) gears, but are these trucks that hard on the steering? If so, what servo would you recommend?

I haven't decided on a radio, that JR, Xr3 looks intresting. I don't want to start out with the highest end radio, just something to get me going until I decide that i'm ready to race. Then maybe I can justify a better radio. What is a good starter radio?

I can't wait, I should get my Matt Francis xxxt today or tomorrow.

Once again, thanks to all who have been willing to share their expertise with a newbie. I hope I don't get too irritating with all my questions. Just trying to gleen some expert info from the pros.

Thanks,

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.