Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Getting started?

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2009, 02:12 PM
Tech Rookie

Smile Getting started?

I have been flying RC helicopters for a while now and I'm thinking of getting into RC cars but i have no idea where to start. A few years ago i had a Hyper 7, but this time i am looking at getting into on-road.

I don't mind whether i go nitro or electric, i much prefer nitro helicopters purely for the extra flight time per tank compared to flight time per battery with electric, but i am assuming this may be different with cars? Also just about every site i go onto, electric seems far more popular, is there a reason for this? Is nitro going to be phased out and electric will be the only way to go one day?

So basically i am wondering if anyone can recommend me a car, that would be good for me to start with, but also be upgradable to race, i wont be racing straight away but i would like to one day.

Thanks

Last edited by Citnarf; 09-14-2009 at 02:12 PM. Reason: Typo
Old 09-14-2009, 07:44 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 45 (100%+)

No Nitro will never be phased out. I would choose a RTR Truggy. The Losi 8T RTR is awesome, has all you need. You just have to decide weather you want nitro or electric, both rule
Old 09-14-2009, 08:27 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 114 (100%+)

Originally Posted by boomgagem
No Nitro will never be phased out. I would choose a RTR Truggy. The Losi 8T RTR is awesome, has all you need. You just have to decide weather you want nitro or electric, both rule
While I agree that the RTR Truggy (or Buggy for that matter) has most of what you need to get started, there are still lots of things that you will need to buy if you don't have them already in order to be able to run (let alone race):

1) Better servos - the ones included (especially for a truggy) will burn out very quickly.
2) Fuel
3) Tools - You will need hex drivers. For the RTR if you don't have both metric and SAE, then you will not be able to remove all the screws.
4) Fuel bottle
5) Batteries for the starter box.
6) Racing transponder

The RTR is the cheapest way to get into the hobby while giving yourself the opportunity to race now or the future. It also provides you a strong base on which to upgrade.
Old 09-15-2009, 08:28 PM
Tech Rookie

Thanks a lot for both the replies but isn't a truggy an off-road car? I am actually looking for an on-road car, like a touring car.

Thanks
Old 09-16-2009, 02:04 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Citnarf
but this time i am looking at getting into on-road.
Originally Posted by boomgagem
I would choose a RTR Truggy.
Originally Posted by Garet Jax
While I agree that the RTR Truggy (or Buggy for that matter) has most of what you need to get started, there are still lots of things that you will need to buy
Originally Posted by Citnarf
Thanks a lot for both the replies but isn't a truggy an off-road car? I am actually looking for an on-road car, like a touring car.
A perfect example of what to look out for when reading advice given out on the newbie forum.

Yes, electric is more popular than nitro, at least on the racing scene. At my local track for example, there might be 7, 8, or 9 heats of electric, and 1 nitro. It is not being phased out, it has always been like that for as long as I have been racing. Why? well, they are noisy, messy, and cost more to maintain in the long run. Some people love them, and others just have no interest in nitro, like myself. It's personal preference thing.

If you are looking to race one day, you will most likely want to invest in a 4wd touring car, as MOST classes are run on this type of chassis. Stock Sedan, Mod sedan, VTA, RCGT, etc. WGT and 12th scale for example, use an entirely different kind of chassis.

There are a dozen manufacturers of touring cars, and there are dozens of models. You have a few options when looking at touring cars. You can

1.) break the bank and get a nice new tourer like an Xray, TC5 or Cyclone.
2.) save some cash on a nice used tourer like Xray, TC5 or Cyclone
3.) save even more cash and get an older used tourer like a TC4 or similar.

You can bash with them all and you can race with them all. Some are more expensive, some are more durable, but all can be relativly as competative as the next, as 95% of what makes you fast is car setup, and driver skill, not the brand of car you are using. As a beginner, it might be wise to get something like a used TC4.... bash with it, learn how to take it apart and maintain it... then start racing with it. After 6 months or a year of racing, or whenever you feel like its time to upgrade, you will be able to sell it for about the same amount of money you spent on it. Then, you buy a top shelf tourer. Once its time to upgrade, it is a good idea to look at chassis that are popular at your local track, and maybe one with local parts support. It's not necessary, but it can be helpful.

Thats about it. Spend some time researching Lipo and brushless technologies and how they work.. pick a chassis.. and dig in.

Cpt.
Old 09-17-2009, 04:42 PM
Tech Adept

[QUOTE=Citnarf;6343808]I have been flying RC helicopters for a while now and I'm thinking of getting into RC cars but i have no idea where to start. A few years ago i had a Hyper 7, but this time i am looking at getting into on-road.

I don't mind whether i go nitro or electric, i much prefer nitro helicopters purely for the extra flight time per tank compared to flight time per battery with electric, but i am assuming this may be different with cars? Also just about every site i go onto, electric seems far more popular, is there a reason for this? Is nitro going to be phased out and electric will be the only way to go one day?

So basically i am wondering if anyone can recommend me a car, that would be good for me to start with, but also be upgradable to race, i wont be racing straight away but i would like to one day.

Thanks[/QUO traxxas nitro 4 tec
Old 09-17-2009, 07:24 PM
Tech Regular

Get a Losi XXX-S w/10.5 and LiPo