Wiki Posts
Search

Nitro Fuel Mix

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2009, 02:29 PM
Tech Rookie

Default Nitro Fuel Mix

Hi All,

I just bought my first Nitro RC Car, and i need help with the Nitro Fuel.
I could only find a nitro fuel of 10 % nitro with 18% oil. can i use this, as the manual of the Car says 15 Nitro mix. Please help.

Thanks
Old 08-17-2009, 05:16 PM
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

Originally Posted by gazzazh
Hi All,

I just bought my first Nitro RC Car, and i need help with the Nitro Fuel.
I could only find a nitro fuel of 10 % nitro with 18% oil. can i use this, as the manual of the Car says 15 Nitro mix. Please help.

Thanks
Yes you can, it just won't have as much power as say 15% 0r 20%...you will have to re-tune the motor for different percentages of nitro when or if you get something else. Even different brands of fuel will change the tune of the motor.
Old 08-17-2009, 05:34 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

That low nitro content may make it pretty hard to get it started. If you try and it won't start at all, you may have to have a higher nitro fuel.
Old 08-17-2009, 05:41 PM
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Duster_360
That low nitro content may make it pretty hard to get it started. If you try and it won't start at all, you may have to have a higher nitro fuel.
sorry left that part out...airplane motors run on 10% but they're a different animal..
Old 08-17-2009, 07:22 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Duster_360
Not true... you just need to know how to tune it. 15 years ago it was pretty common to use 10% Nitro in cars.... then it moved up to 16%... and 20%... not its not too uncommon to see folks using 30%! It's just the need for speed!

The most common is probably going to be 20% these days... make sure you are buying nitro fuel for "cars"! Airplane fuel uses far less oil and can easily damage you motor!

Jerome
Old 08-19-2009, 01:00 PM
Tech Rookie

Default Thanks

Thank you all for your help, I went to my local hobby store and they were able to find nitro fuel for the car of 20% Nitro and 16 % oil. I made the break-in for the engine today.. All went well after 5 tanks. My problem now, when i was cleaning the car, i found some sand inside the opening after the air filer, what should i do to get rid of it.

Thanks once more for all your support