Community
Wiki Posts
Search

setup tips needed.

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2009, 01:34 PM
Tech Regular

Default setup tips needed.

I asembled my new Mi4 and did some first testing, using the stock-setup.
The car runs great but sufferes oversteer when comming out of a corner and going on throttle again.

Could someone tell in what direction as for stup-changes I have to look.
WHat should I do to get rid of this oversteering?
Please, help me by explaining what happens when going on throttle out of the corner. I thought that the car has too much grip on the front, so that I should look to harden the front suspension (harder spring, thicker oil, harder rollbar, ...) ... but when I think about it: when going on throttle, I should think that the weight is transfered to the back of the car again, and thus grip is reduced on the front ... but that doesn't make sence.
Please explain me in what direction I should think. THX
Old 08-13-2009, 06:10 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

You are correct in the thought that the weight is transferring to the rear when getting on the throttle. It's just not transferring quick enough. You can either learn to drive it the way it is or soften the rear springs or look into weight balance. If your car is already heavy to the frt you can move the weight around to balance it frt to back, this will help with even transfer. you can move the battery, ESC, or poss add weight to balance. Pay attention to the right left balance too.
If you still have issue you can stiffen the frt springs but don't thicken the oil (that would slow the transfer down).

There's much more but this is a good, and simple, starting point that should help.
Old 08-14-2009, 01:22 AM
Tech Regular

thx Tiger!!
that's good advice! saying what I should/coild AND explaining why. Now at least I learned something
At the end of the training-session, I also tried on some old Foam-tires I had in my box. Those tires were very wide and I had to reposition my rear schock a bit, going "one hole" more inside on the A-arm.
The car was much better in balance then. I thought it had to do with the Foam-tires but it might also be due to the changed Shockposition. AFAIK, a more vertical and inwart position of the shock should make it softer.

Good point about the oil also. I would never have thought about that.
Old 08-14-2009, 09:48 AM
Bud
Tech Master

Some good info in here about what to do and why.. http://users.telenet.be/elvo/1/1_content.html
Old 08-14-2009, 01:50 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Actually the more vertical a shock is the stiffer it is. This is a fine adjustment compared to springs and oil. Once you start "laying down" a shock the closer to parallel to the arm it gets the more of a mechanical advantage the arm has on the shock. This mechanical advantage results is a softer feel to the shock.

Check out the link in the previous post or see if you can find a book by XXX Main titled Touring Car Chassis Set UP Guide. You can find it in hobby shops or on XXX Main website. There IS PLENTY of free info out here on the web if you prefer.

Last edited by Tiger72; 08-14-2009 at 01:50 PM. Reason: Typo
Old 08-14-2009, 11:13 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Low_E
a more vertical and inwart position of the shock should make it softer.
Nope... the opposite. Tiger has it right. More inclined = softer, more vertical = stiffer.
Old 08-15-2009, 05:34 AM
Tech Regular

yup, I understand now. You guys were talking about changing the shockposition on the shocktower (obviously) while I thought about switching it on the Wishbone.
Old 08-15-2009, 08:19 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 44 (100%+)

there are a bunch of things that you can do.its kinda weird how shocks with tc vs off-road trucks.the more the shock is upright the softer it is.will give great forward traction.less side bite...

it was tuff for me to learn tc set-ups.then once i thought i was on the rite rd i bought a losi type-r....that car is basically opposite from all other tc on the market...lol

im sure you will find the trick to your car...good luck man
Old 08-15-2009, 10:44 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

Originally Posted by morris
its kinda weird how shocks with tc vs off-road trucks.the more the shock is upright the softer it is.will give great forward traction.less side bite...
totally completely 100% untrue. The more vertical/upgrade (actually, perpendicular to the angle of the arm its attachted to) the STIFFER it will become... Doesn't matter if its in a TC or a Truck.
Old 08-16-2009, 08:30 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Cpt.America
totally completely 100% untrue. The more vertical/upgrade (actually, perpendicular to the angle of the arm its attachted to) the STIFFER it will become... Doesn't matter if its in a TC or a Truck.
100% agree'd doesnt matter car, truck, motorcycle shocks straighter stiffer