Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What to Bring to the Track?

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2009, 08:09 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (75%+)

Bring an EZ up if they don't provide pit space and a light for if you race at night
Old 07-28-2009, 08:14 AM
Tech Elite

Location: Fort Worth, Texas, USA, North America, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way Galaxy, Universe
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by -J-
I was looking at those, kind of pricey, but look really nice. Would the 1/8th scale offroad one work with my SC10?
Ahhhhh... there is the relevant info. I was about to ask what you run.

Ok: A set of hex wrenches in the appropriate sizes.

Needle nose pliers.

A car stand is helpful.... but a tip for you: Most hobby shops have a used tire bin- a wheel from a monster truck or truggy makes a great car stand. So does a short 4"x4" block (or a couple 2x4 blocks nailed/screwed/glued together.) Don't waste $20-30 on a "bling" car stand unless you just have money burning a hole in your pocket. I HAVE a car stand, but use an old Revo wheel- it actually works better.

Obviously a charger... spare battery packs are nice too.

Any spare parts that you have.

Spare wheels and tires if you have them.

Possibly a good HIGH TEMP soldering gun (not those itsy-bitsy ones for soldering small stuff) in case you have a wire to your motor/esc break loose.

An assortment of spare screws in the sizes your car uses.

Shock oil.

For an SC10 that's about it. It isn't really as complex as some other vehicles. You could probably fit everything you need into a small toolbox/tacklebox/"sewing box."
Old 08-07-2009, 11:29 PM
Tech Apprentice

the one thing i noticed was not in the postings is a fan for you,a small one to help keep yourself cool after turnmarshalling.and a dremel for emergency repairs that could frustrate you when working on your rc car.
Old 08-09-2009, 08:11 AM
Tech Initiate

I use two tool boxes, one with the essentials, one with the stuff that can be left in the car but accessed if needed.

My primary box contains the tools (hex drivers, screwdrivers, scissors, side cutters etc), bottles of misc screws, various oils/grease, batteries and charger.

My secondary box contains the set up station, replacement parts, instruction manuals that nice to have, but not necessarily needed at the pit.

Go from there.
Old 08-09-2009, 08:34 AM

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

If you ask yourself 'Should I bring this?'

the answer is always 'yes'

R
Old 08-09-2009, 09:13 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Bring everything you have, spares, tools, literally everything.
Old 08-09-2009, 09:39 AM
Tech Adept

Since the tools and R/C parts are pretty well covered already, I'll bring up something that is very important: lots and lots of water. You'd be surprised how much water/gatorade/etc. is needed to stay properly hydrated when you're doing a lot of racing and turn-marshalling. As siilly as it sounds to say, your pee should be fairly clear. If it's dark, it's a sign that you are under-hydrated.

Here's how I get plenty of water: the day before, fill a pitcher or two of water and throw them in the freezer. Next morning, take the frozen pitchers with you to the track. Assuming it's a fairly warm day, the ice will melt throughout the day and give you plenty of fresh, cold, water (I find nothing as refreshing as chugging down a bunch of ice water after marshalling :P).

Other "non-RC-related" items: a hat, sunglasses, and gloves for marshalling (assume an outdoor track). The gloves are especially handy if you are marshalling for a nitro race or if you are pitting for somebody running nitro.

Last one: +100 on the idea of bringing an EZ-up if your track doesn't have covered pit areas. You can get an EZ-up canopy for <$100. Between that, a small fan, and a long extension cord for power, it goes a long way to helping you stay cool and enjoying the day. Add a folding table for better "pit"-ness.
Old 08-12-2009, 11:07 AM
Tech Regular

don't forget your laptop and castle link!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!