Search

Slipper clutch adjustment

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2009, 09:27 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default Slipper clutch adjustment

Good evening all,
I was at my local track on Monday and after a few jumps. The T3 stopped moving when I picked up the rear end and pressed the forward trigger. The wheels started to move again. So I figured my diffrental drive when out. So after two hours of taking my car apart I discovered all the gears were fine and nothing was stripped and all I needed to do was tighten my slipper clutch. Lesson learned So my question is how do you tell if your slipper clutch is adjusted correctly? I tightend my clutch and it runs great. But I was reading online that if your clutch is too tight and you jump. It can cause the gears in the transmisson gears to strip. If its too loose your car won't go. I am pretty much lost on this one.
Old 04-16-2009, 10:20 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Shrekito
Good evening all,
I was at my local track on Monday and after a few jumps. The T3 stopped moving when I picked up the rear end and pressed the forward trigger. The wheels started to move again. So I figured my diffrental drive when out. So after two hours of taking my car apart I discovered all the gears were fine and nothing was stripped and all I needed to do was tighten my slipper clutch. Lesson learned So my question is how do you tell if your slipper clutch is adjusted correctly? I tightend my clutch and it runs great. But I was reading online that if your clutch is too tight and you jump. It can cause the gears in the transmisson gears to strip. If its too loose your car won't go. I am pretty much lost on this one.
If you run BL you want to have just a lil'bit of slipping at acceleration. This way you wont put tons of stress on your drivetrain and internal gears wont strip. If you slipper clutch is to tight you put more stress on your drivetrain.
Old 04-17-2009, 03:17 AM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by Shrekito
Good evening all,
I have a HPI e-firestorm. In my instruction manual it says to tighten up the slipper clutch all the way and then back it off 4 turns. Check your instruction manual. If you don't have one, HPI has PDFs of all their manuals on their website. You may be able to find your manual somewhere. Good luck
Old 04-17-2009, 06:16 AM
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

You should be able to hear the slipper "slip" for about 2 feet when you take off from a dead stop. You can set it looser if you want but you'll shorten the slippers life. All IMO
Old 04-17-2009, 06:41 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Well first of all you need to make sure it's the slipper clutch and not the diff. Have somebody else hold onto the left rear while you hold the spur gear in place with your left hand and turn the right rear with your right hand, and watch the diff adjustment nut. If the nut turns while you're holding the spur gear still, you're in good shape. If you move the right rear tire and the nut stays still, you need to either loosen the slipper or tighten the diff. Bottom line: the differential should not slip.

As far as adjusting the slipper clutch goes, the way I was always taught was to set the truck down on the surface it's going to be racing on and give it a little push backwards. While it's still rolling, give it a blip of full throttle. If the slipper's set correctly you should be able to get the truck moving forward without spinning the tires/doing a wheelie. Should almost look like the truck's bouncing off of a rubber band.

That'll get you in the ballpark, afterwards it's a matter of fine-tuning the feel of the slipper to match your personal preference.
Old 04-17-2009, 06:52 AM
Tech Rookie

Racer and OTE have both given you great suggestions. IME 4 turns out on any vehicle I've ever driven is WAY to much.
Old 04-17-2009, 08:47 AM
Tech Adept

Default Slipper clutch

Originally Posted by racer1812
You should be able to hear the slipper "slip" for about 2 feet when you take off from a dead stop. You can set it looser if you want but you'll shorten the slippers life. All IMO
I did that but it seemed like their was too much slip. So I tightened it just a bit. I seems to be running fine now. I can see just a little bit of the slip when I take off. Now with you owning a T3 have you ever had to replace the diff gear. I mean I pulled the tranny apart and there isn't much to it. The diff gear looks pretty simple. I looked at all the gears and nothing was stripped. Does the diff gear come apart? Man I though I would get into r/c there not much to it. Its just a little 1/10 scale car how hard can it be? Boy was I wrong. Don't get me wrong I love working on it.It just like wow theres alot to these things.
Old 04-18-2009, 04:37 PM
Tech Adept

I put my truck on a high traction surface like carpet and it should slip for about 2 feet.
Old 04-18-2009, 04:44 PM

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

after u make sure the diff doesnt slip or 'bark'. this is what u have to do in the modern age of elec offroad with BL and lipo power we are makin these days.

the 2ft, rollin stuff, factory setting dont apply in today's world.

take your radio in ur left hand, sit it on left rear tire, hold right rear on table with ur right hand. smack the gas, u should hear ur slipper. if u dont, u prolly just got smacked in the head by ur front tower. loosen, doin so til the front tires just barely get off the table. they unload the shocks and just get up off the ground. granted u can run a lil more if traction is really high (also ur radio and speedo can do this). but for base setting. look for the above as i described. i had to learn this the hard way. now i save on tires and car handles better even for folks that dont have a perfectly soft sensitive trigger finger or a calm 13.5 on tap. the game has changed. so u say i'm gonna burn up my slipper pads quicker. well yeh lil bit. not crazy though. and whats that next to 20bux for new rear tires and rims.

R
Old 04-18-2009, 06:42 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)

i run mod in my 2wd on a very high bite track, what i know from a racer is adjust it so when you hold down both tires and hit the throttle about 1/2 power it should hold a steady wheely in the air about 90 degrees up without any squealing.
Old 04-19-2009, 04:50 AM

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

uh....90deg up would be u got hit in the head w/ur front shock tower=bad and incorrect.

take it from some1 who has a note bout slippers in his sig. its a tuning tool even better/easier than ur speed control.

R
Old 03-27-2013, 04:41 PM
Tech Rookie

Default slipper

anyone know if the slipper clutch is slipping too much, can i damage anything major? my car ran perfect on cement and just all of a sudden started slpping about 10-15 feet (castle mamba brushless emaxx with 2 11.1v 4500MaH lipos)
i just tightened the slipper clutch nut between 1/8 turn and 1/4 turn. have yet to try it but afraid of damaging more. any help?
Old 03-29-2013, 07:38 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 161 (100%+)

You can ruin the slipper pads. There's a sticky post over in the offroad section regarding diffs and slippers - your issue is most likely one or the other being loose.

http://www.rctech.net/forum/electric...er-clutch.html
Old 04-01-2013, 04:39 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by OTE_TheMissile
Well first of all you need to make sure it's the slipper clutch and not the diff. Have somebody else hold onto the left rear while you hold the spur gear in place with your left hand and turn the right rear with your right hand, and watch the diff adjustment nut. If the nut turns while you're holding the spur gear still, you're in good shape. If you move the right rear tire and the nut stays still, you need to either loosen the slipper or tighten the diff. Bottom line: the differential should not slip.

As far as adjusting the slipper clutch goes, the way I was always taught was to set the truck down on the surface it's going to be racing on and give it a little push backwards. While it's still rolling, give it a blip of full throttle. If the slipper's set correctly you should be able to get the truck moving forward without spinning the tires/doing a wheelie. Should almost look like the truck's bouncing off of a rubber band.

That'll get you in the ballpark, afterwards it's a matter of fine-tuning the feel of the slipper to match your personal preference.

Just wish to confirm, the way you're setting the slipper is very similar to how I was taught. Instead, I was told to hold the spur gear with my right hand fingers and grasp the right wheel with the palm of my right hand. And turn the left wheel with my left hand. The slipper nut should rotate at the same rate as the left wheel. That is assuming the diff is tight. And 2wd buggy.

I hope I got that right! Cheers,
Old 07-19-2013, 11:45 AM
Tech Rookie

Default Traxxas Stampede Transmission

Hi im new to rc and i got a traxxas stampede (3605) and when i got it the store told me their was a brand new tranny in it but when i went to drive it wouldnt move. After about an hour i found out the transmission was shot so where would i get a new tranny?