Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Rookie Zone
new into rc, will get rc10t4: help with electronics etc >

new into rc, will get rc10t4: help with electronics etc

new into rc, will get rc10t4: help with electronics etc

Old 03-07-2009, 12:44 PM
Tech Rookie

Default new into rc, will get rc10t4: help with electronics etc

Hi everyone, im new to the hobby and decided to buy an rc10t4. I simply have no idea however which motor/ESC/battery pack to buy. I want the truck to be reasonably fast, but still ok for a rookie. anyone have any recommendations?

i really appreciate the help guys
Old 03-07-2009, 12:54 PM
Tech Elite

Bashing or racing? If you'er racing, you'll want to put in some competitive electronics. If you'er bashing, you can put just about anything you want in it.
Old 03-07-2009, 01:12 PM
Tech Rookie

hi! and thanks for the response

initially bashing, but I will start racing soon afterwards (looking for a club or track near me) ... is there anything I should know about which esc work with which motors? what kind of motor should I get? and what would you recommend for a battery for starting out? I could upgrade battery for racing later, but would like to have something reasonably good initially.
Old 03-07-2009, 01:26 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

if you're racing i hope your track runs truck on a reg basis. i would suggest a buggy either kyosho,associated or losi. that way you know you're gonna be able to race. if you're gonna bash the truck is cool so is the sc10 if you can find one

for racing: speed control lrp sphere comp or the new sxx when lrp releases it.

motor for the truck the novak 7.5 light and 18 tooth pinion gear

servo jr 9100s

battery smc 5200 24c lipo

radio m11 hopefully you can get one without the airtronics 2.4 and get the spektrum pro system its 100$ now

power supply pyramid psv 200

turnigy lipo charger

for bashing: novak gtb 7.5 combo (motor/ esc)

any servo with metal gears

same battery, radio, charger and p/s. or you can get the jr 3.0 radio they are cheaper and come with spektrum
Old 03-07-2009, 04:44 PM
Tech Rookie

ok will look into that, thanks again for the help.

Also wanted to ask ... what building supplies do i need to build the kit?
Old 03-07-2009, 04:59 PM
Tech Elite

It should include a little set of Allen keys & wrenches that'll get you started, otherwise a set of pliers, a small sharp blade (X-acto knife, Leatherman tool, etc.) and some CA glue for the tires should be all you need

To add to what gweed mentioned about a servo, a good truck servo should be metal-geared and put out around 120oz-in of torque at 6 volts. The Hitec 625MG is a popular choice, and I had good luck with the Futaba S3305. I think both units go for around $40

You probably don't need an M11 radio either, way more buttons than you'll know what to do with for offroad. I have a Futaba 3PM 2.4GHz FASST radio and for probably half the price of an M11 it does everything I need and then some

Best bang for the buck on a battery charger nowadays: DuraTrax Onyx 230. Charges NiCd, NiMH, LiPo, Li-Ion, LiFe A123, doesn't require a separate power supply, pretty easy to use, costs about $80

Last edited by OTE_TheMissile; 03-07-2009 at 05:09 PM.
Old 03-08-2009, 07:33 AM
Tech Master

r u gonna bash or race? Also if u r dead set on the t4 get the factory team its alot nicer
Old 03-08-2009, 09:45 AM
Tech Rookie

I just got my first rc car! I got the factory team t4... couldnt yet afford some of the stuff recommended, but I think i got a pretty good set for bashing initially, will try to get into racing once i get some skills hehe... thanks for the help guys I really appreciate it
Old 03-08-2009, 12:12 PM
Tech Master

you get skills by raceing. start off in sportsman and move up from there
Old 03-08-2009, 02:15 PM
Tech Elite

Yep, nothing sharpens your skills like live racing.
Old 03-08-2009, 08:41 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

If you are going to do some bashing don't get to crazy because the T4 is made for racing and cannot take alot of abuse.
Old 03-08-2009, 08:54 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by snowboard094
If you are going to do some bashing don't get to crazy because the T4 is made for racing and cannot take alot of abuse.
Funny, I find the most abuse comes from racing.
Old 03-10-2009, 08:04 AM
Tech Regular

if you are rookie you will probaly not want a 7.5 mod motor.

For a speedo, try the Speed passion Granturismo, it comes with a little programming card that you hook the esc servo wire to to program the esc. no more flashing lights! and it is so easy to do, I used to not bother with stuff like drag brake etc. cus they took to long, but now they take less than one min from point of connection to finishing programming. This speedo is compatible with pretty much all motors (sensored and sensorless) except for like 2.5 turn ones.

I would get a Orion 3400 race spec lipo. it is a good choice for your first lipo.
Old 03-10-2009, 02:37 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Little_Mike
if you are rookie you will probaly not want a 7.5 mod motor.

For a speedo, try the Speed passion Granturismo, it comes with a little programming card that you hook the esc servo wire to to program the esc. no more flashing lights! and it is so easy to do, I used to not bother with stuff like drag brake etc. cus they took to long, but now they take less than one min from point of connection to finishing programming. This speedo is compatible with pretty much all motors (sensored and sensorless) except for like 2.5 turn ones.

I would get a Orion 3400 race spec lipo. it is a good choice for your first lipo.
yea i dont know about that. a 7.5 will be fun to bash around in at first like he said he was gonna do then K.I.S.S. (KEEP IT SIMPLE STUPID) words to live by especially for a newb. get the novak combo or lrp esc and novak or orion motor. best raceing combos. the novak cause its affordable and simple and the lrp cause imo its the best esc on the market for raceing which he said he'll eventually do so why but twice.

my opinion stay away from programable esc's they can be more of a headach then help especially when you dont know what everything is and does to the car.
Old 03-10-2009, 04:48 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 59 (100%+)

t4 was a great choice for ur first "race" truck, not so good for bashing. its lower to the ground, so it will not do tall grass very well. also the drag from grass will tend to over heat the electronics.
if u play on the road, a good brushless seystem will eat a set of tire in a couple battery charges (unless u use street tires of course)

just my advice, if u can afford it, go and get a rustler or a slash. they come rtr and are great for getting ur feet wet.

welcome to the hobby

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.