Wiki Posts
Search

Upgrade Motor in Tamiya Hornet

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2008, 06:27 PM
Tech Rookie

Default Upgrade Motor in Tamiya Hornet

Hello,

I am a thirtysomething who could not resist picking up a re-released hornet this last week. It has been 20 years since I last messed with RC cars. At one point I owned an original Grasshopper, Fox, and the RC10. My RC-10 had 64 pitch gears, full bearings, a Novak speed controller, and a Trinity Monster 80K RPM motor back in the day!

I have already put a full set of ball bearings on the Hornet. I would like to upgrade the motor now. I am not that familiar with the stock ESC on the Tamiya, but have read that sometimes a new motor requires a new speed controller.

Could someone recommend a decent 30,000+ RPM motor for the Hornet and advise on whether I need a new ESC?
Old 09-24-2008, 07:39 AM
Suspended

Though I'm severely puzzled as to why someone with previous RC experience would go so oldschool, I'd suggest you check out the TamaiyaTalk.com website as you'll find few Hornet folks here with the majority of people being into the more upper echelons of vehicles.
Good luck
Old 09-24-2008, 08:35 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

old school is cool, there is some decent hornet stuff here:
although I am still looking around on this forum, it does seem geared towards racing a bit more than some others. That said, the rudeness was unnecessary. Generally most of the posters are good natured and helpful.
Old 09-25-2008, 08:54 AM
Suspended

Originally Posted by kistner
That said, the rudeness was unnecessary.
Show me exactly where I was "rude"?

What's rude is insinuating "rudeness" where none existed or reading between the lines in an attempt to find something that isn't there.

Last edited by RCabcs; 09-25-2008 at 09:25 AM.
Old 09-25-2008, 12:02 PM
Tech Master

Sooooooooo, anyway, The Hornet is dope. It was the car I prayed for when I was 13! Got given a Boomerang instead, with a TECHNIGOLD! Remember that stuff. Ahhh, good times!

I'm not sure the Hornet will like a HOT motor. These days the motors are so much more powerful than our old stuff. I'd say a good Stock 27 turn will make it smile.

A Trinity Cobalt CO27 would be badass.

Or, if your keen on keeping it Tamiya, a 23T BZ Superstock.

I think the Cobalt would be mint though. Heaps of fun to be had
Old 09-25-2008, 12:14 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 28 (97%+)

Try a trinity CO27, it should give plenty of power for that chassis. I have an old Nikko Rhino, and a 27t motor is almost too much for it to handle.

Cheers!