Community
Wiki Posts
Search

tyre gluing

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2008, 05:27 AM
Tech Initiate

Default tyre gluing

im going to try and attempt to mount some sorex 28's onto revlite rims, has anyone made a movie of doing this specifically how much and where to put the glue ive been told around 4 dots on each side does this sound about right?
Old 08-20-2008, 07:30 AM
Tech Elite

I would do more than four dots. Try six to be on the safe side. I had one of my tiers fly off with four, so six should be enough, without over doing it.
Old 08-20-2008, 09:59 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 85 (100%+)

I glue completely around the rim. At the scale speeds these things can go you need all the handling help you can get. Losi regular tire glue is the best in my opinion. Make sure to wipe tires and rims w/ alcohol before glueing. Remove chrome is your rims are chromes where the tire glues on.
Larry.
Old 08-20-2008, 05:06 PM
Tech Master

I go all the way around with Losi tire glue, using the least amount possible. On my 1/16 and 1/10 Scale rims that I've done, I have only needed to pinch the tire sidewall at four points around the rim per side, this exposes enough of the bead lip to lay down a thin line of glue. When you rotate the tire 90 degrees then pinch it again to lay down more glue you should be able to see that the glue from your first pinch did seep around enough for full coverage of that previous quadrant.

This technique does actually seem to be a pretty efficient way to glue tires pretty quickly, laying down enough glue for good adhesion without overdoing it.
Old 08-20-2008, 05:11 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (75%+)

You could just buy premounts.
Old 08-20-2008, 05:27 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

I go all the way around the rim also. Tire glueing starts with prep of tire bead and the wheel where the bead is glued. I wipe tire bead with denat alcohol to get rid of tire mould release agent that release tires from the mould when they are made. I use a file or dremel and scuff up the bead area on wheels and then wipe them with denat. If glueing to chromed plastic wheels, remove teh chrome - will not stick to the chromed plastic.

I use losi tire glue kit that has the micro applicator that lets me do factory looking jobs cause it lets you control how much glue you apply.
Old 08-20-2008, 07:35 PM
Super Moderator

I hate gluing tires, it really sucks.
Old 08-21-2008, 04:00 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Yeah, know what you mean, its not one of my fav rc chores either. But I've had little luck with premounts, my BL setups seem capable of breaking those down and separating them. After getting the cleaning part down, mine have been pretty much BL proof.
Old 08-22-2008, 07:38 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Tire glueing is a pain so premounts are a good option BUT if you like the more extoic color rims you will need to learn to glue.......the best way i found to keep it on the rim is to go all the way around
Old 08-24-2008, 12:39 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Tire glueing is fine, but u need to take ur time and make sure the tire bead is glued properly. Use Losi thick glue because it holds the tire on the rim better. Wipe the rim with like motor cleaner before testing fitting the tire on then apply small amount of glue working around each side of the tire.
Old 08-26-2008, 01:22 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 315 (100%+)

Also on premounts a lot of stores now have the Much More "Sweep" series out, I found out the hard way that in this case, premount is not preglued!
Old 08-26-2008, 05:26 AM
Tech Initiate

Default Tires

It's not that hard to do it without pre-mounts.

Just rough up the sides of your rims, make sure there isn't any paint, past glue, or rubber. Then rough up the inside sides of your tires.

Put your tire with the foam in it onto your rim. Take a rubber band and double it up and put it around the edge that you are gluing first, that helps keep the tire against the rim. Then I use four fingers to pull the tire back and I put drops of glue all the way around, keep the band on there for a little bit.

Not that hard