Wiki Posts
Search

fan while charging?

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2008, 09:51 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)
Default fan while charging?

Hey everyone. I had a quick question about charging. Should I have a small fan pointed at my batteries while they are charging? I am using a charge it all sport from wattage and charging 3200 orion LiPos and ep 4600s from trinity. The charger has a built in fan and I have a little 4' Wal-Mart fan I point at them with about 2 ft away. Without the fan the NiMh batteries get hot at 4 amps. I figure that the fan wont hurt but had to ask. Thanks in advance for any help.
Old 03-10-2008, 03:33 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

the cooler that you can keep ur batt's the better. i have an old fan that i took out of a pc that i use to keep my batt's cool, of course they will get hot no matter what but a fan helps most definitely
Old 03-10-2008, 05:54 PM
Tech Elite

Default b

cool, ill keep using it, thanks
Old 03-10-2008, 06:59 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

i am running ib4600 and lrp pulsar 2 and the get so hot at 6 amps on charge i use a 2 fans 120mm fan blows over the top and a 150mm cabnate fan which sucks the heat from under neath
Old 03-11-2008, 08:08 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

the more amps that you charge at the more heat your batts will produce. i charge mine at 5 amps. heat is the #1 enemy of batts, unless you are rushing to get batts ready for the next round i would recommend 5 amps. just my 2 cents
Old 03-11-2008, 09:00 AM
Tech Elite

Default b

cool, thanks guys
Old 03-11-2008, 11:02 AM
Tech Elite

Well there is two favored ways to charge IB cells. First is to charge by temp; you charge and set your cut off to 125 f so in this way you do not want to put a fan on it since the temp will read lower than it should and put more amps in the pack which will mean you will not be peaked correct. In the second case is by delta peak, where your charger is looking for the drop off voltage from the peak, so the lower your peak detect the tendency is to be closer to the top, but you are still detecting as the pack drops. Since the pack starts to drop as soon as you stop charging, this small drop after the true peak won't be significant enough to make any difference. This is the most common way and usually pretty good. Matched cells are matched by using the delta peak method, but if your cut off is too low it may not be very accurate towards the top or false peak early, etc. (that's why high end chargers have lock-out, etc. too) In this case you don't need to worry about fans and if anything will help your cells last a bit longer since you are not exposing them to as much heat to a point. They are charging by voltage, not peak detecting by temp. Both have pros and cons to each and both are good, you just need to know which way you are doing it and use fans only in the right way. The fan built in to your charger is for the charger and will not affect the cells either way. What you need to look for is fans for your cells and not use them when peaking by temp.