Community
Wiki Posts
Search

motor help?

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2008, 10:21 PM
Tech Rookie

Default motor help?

Hi, im quite new to these forums and ive been looking for some advice on my problem. Well its not quite a problem but i currently run a 1:10 TT-01(D) chassis so it comes with a "sport tuned motor" that i heard is about 32 turns.
i asked my local hobby guy how much the stock ESC can take and he told me it was 21 or so turns. well, being the dummy i am, i bought a 10 turn motor, knowing full well my ESC cannot take it and installed it(didn't have enough to afford the ESC at the same time), now.. it runs slightly faster than normal but after a minute or so the motor will not respond.

Obviously its some problem with the ESC but what i wanted to know was the actually facts on why it won't run and whats wrong with it. I knew there was a HUGE difference from the stock 32 and the 10 turn motor i purchased, and i want to know that if i eventually buy an unlimited ESC if it will go faster. My hobby guy said that it goes 80 MPH, and i thought that was mindblowing i thought he must have meant 80 km, and i was just wondering if the stock ESC is making the motor turn slower. Im only 14 so excuse my lack of knowledge and vocabulary
Old 02-10-2008, 10:38 PM
Tech Rookie

oh yes and also.. ive just noticed now the cable (yellow) which connects the motor to the esc, there seems to be some brown substance in it and i can't seem to pull them apart.. im guessing i burned something out?
Old 02-11-2008, 10:35 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Youngen
Hi, im quite new to these forums and ive been looking for some advice on my problem. Well its not quite a problem but i currently run a 1:10 TT-01(D) chassis so it comes with a "sport tuned motor" that i heard is about 32 turns.
i asked my local hobby guy how much the stock ESC can take and he told me it was 21 or so turns. well, being the dummy i am, i bought a 10 turn motor, knowing full well my ESC cannot take it and installed it(didn't have enough to afford the ESC at the same time), now.. it runs slightly faster than normal but after a minute or so the motor will not respond.

Obviously its some problem with the ESC but what i wanted to know was the actually facts on why it won't run and whats wrong with it. I knew there was a HUGE difference from the stock 32 and the 10 turn motor i purchased, and i want to know that if i eventually buy an unlimited ESC if it will go faster. My hobby guy said that it goes 80 MPH, and i thought that was mindblowing i thought he must have meant 80 km, and i was just wondering if the stock ESC is making the motor turn slower. Im only 14 so excuse my lack of knowledge and vocabulary
first of all, welcome

the sport tuned motor is 23t, and the ESC is 'officially' a 21t limit, but it's closer to 19t really. so, the motor you bought is working, but it's getting the ESC hot, and it's getting too hot and the safety cut-out is working.

and i think your LHS was making it up. 80mph is a bit ott. 80km/h would be slightly more realistic, but it depends on your gearing.
Old 02-11-2008, 10:36 AM
Tech Elite

oh yes and also.. ive just noticed now the cable (yellow) which connects the motor to the esc, there seems to be some brown substance in it and i can't seem to pull them apart.. im guessing i burned something out?
the brown stuff is just factory gunk to stop the wires coming out in transit or whatever...
Old 02-11-2008, 04:35 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)

prolly not good, you just may fry the esc or something
Old 02-12-2008, 10:01 AM
Tech Elite

ESC are rated for the amount of voltage they can handle coming through them since the "Mosfets" in them do most of the work and the more of the mosfets the higher the cost and at the same time they help to smooth out the power band. When a manufacture rates a ESC by type of motor (in your case 21t) they are just approximating the typical amount of voltage coming through and leave some room for variances. It isn't the most accurate way to rate an ESC, but a easy way for people to have an idea how much the ESC can handle and most wouldn't know the voltage rating for a motor and the variations it can have with different types of batteries. Basically you get what you pay for. If you put too much voltage through a ESC, chances are the existing mosfets will be overloaded and burn up/pop off or run poorly. Make sure to use a capacitor that is designed for the ESC (some are already installed internally), use shottsky diodes when needed (again some motors have them preinstalled, but you can always err on the safe side and add more and only use with forward only ESCs), and be mindful of the power you are using. So even if you are only running a motor like stock (27t) a good ESC will perform better (smoother, punchier, better brakes, more efficient, etc.), but not always faster. However, some of those expensive performance gains of an expensive ESC may not be detectable for all drivers, that's when you need to make a decision on your style and budget.
Old 02-12-2008, 07:44 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Buy a new esc
Old 02-12-2008, 07:47 PM
Tech Elite

22turn difference is huge! that sucks bad
Old 02-13-2008, 09:06 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by edseb
ESC are rated for the amount of voltage they can handle coming through them since the "Mosfets" in them do most of the work and the more of the mosfets the higher the cost and at the same time they help to smooth out the power band. When a manufacture rates a ESC by type of motor (in your case 21t) they are just approximating the typical amount of voltage coming through and leave some room for variances. It isn't the most accurate way to rate an ESC, but a easy way for people to have an idea how much the ESC can handle and most wouldn't know the voltage rating for a motor and the variations it can have with different types of batteries. Basically you get what you pay for. If you put too much voltage through a ESC, chances are the existing mosfets will be overloaded and burn up/pop off or run poorly. Make sure to use a capacitor that is designed for the ESC (some are already installed internally), use shottsky diodes when needed (again some motors have them preinstalled, but you can always err on the safe side and add more and only use with forward only ESCs), and be mindful of the power you are using. So even if you are only running a motor like stock (27t) a good ESC will perform better (smoother, punchier, better brakes, more efficient, etc.), but not always faster. However, some of those expensive performance gains of an expensive ESC may not be detectable for all drivers, that's when you need to make a decision on your style and budget.
replace the word 'voltage' with 'current' and you've got it right
Old 02-13-2008, 04:21 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by joe of loath
replace the word 'voltage' with 'current' and you've got it right
True.
Old 02-18-2008, 05:23 PM
Tech Rookie

man.. more help..
well you see, i bought a new 10 turn esc then took it out for a spin... on the road..... and what do u know... right into the snow... got a new battery cuz it steamed out and anyway... now the motor all it seems to do when i flip on the power is jerk back and forth? anybody know the problem?
Old 02-18-2008, 05:34 PM
Tech Elite

man.. more help..
well you see, i bought a new 10 turn esc then took it out for a spin... on the road..... and what do u know... right into the snow... got a new battery cuz it steamed out and anyway... now the motor all it seems to do when i flip on the power is jerk back and forth? anybody know the problem?
do you have your controller on when you turn on your car/truck?

if you dont, then do so because your car/truck can spazz out and drive away on you like it did to me at my local track, this is uncontrolable until you have your controller on!
Old 02-18-2008, 05:40 PM
Tech Rookie

yes i do have a controller i don't know the Model but its a Futaba, yes sometimes when i just turned the power on it would drive away on me or randomely steer. There is no difference when i flip the power on the controller as well, the motor just jerks back and forth and rattles.
Old 02-18-2008, 06:35 PM
Tech Elite

yes i do have a controller i don't know the Model but its a Futaba, yes sometimes when i just turned the power on it would drive away on me or randomely steer. There is no difference when i flip the power on the controller as well, the motor just jerks back and forth and rattles.
it could possibly be your connection wires and connectors from your battery to your esc
Old 02-18-2008, 08:44 PM
Tech Rookie

im pretty sure its not the connections, my steering works just fine.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.