Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Need Discharger Recommendation

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2007, 08:00 AM
Tech Rookie

Default Need Discharger Recommendation

I am looking for recommendations for a discharger. I don't race very much, just street racing and off-road playing around. But I want to maximize the amount of time I can use each battery. I have 2 Ni-MH and 2 Ni-Cad, so I need it to work with both. I also have the DuraTrax Piranha Programmable Digital Peak Charger that I like very well, so I won't be buying a new charger just to get one with a built-in discharger. And low price is always a bonus.

I'm looking at the Integy INDI Sweeper with Cooling Fan, but I always get skeptical about buying the lowest price things because you tend to pay in the long run (like having to buy new batteries).
Old 06-14-2007, 08:30 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Since you already have the Duratrax charger, I would recommend the Duratrax 20A discharger - http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXHMR5&P=7. Very good deal for $35, but you would still need a equalizing tray for best performace. Several companies make affordable equalizing trays like Tekin, Trinity, LRP, and others.

If you get the Duratrax, just make sure to take your packs off as soon as the lights go out, as it does not have a cut off, and will take cells down to 0V, which is very bad for NIMH cells.

If you can afford it, the Novak Smart tray is a great choice for an equalizer. There is also the Much More CTXD too

This is of coruse if you are running side by side packs, stick packs will require another route.
Old 06-14-2007, 08:37 AM
Tech Rookie

Thank you for the suggestion. I probably need to clarify that my batteries are stick packs (Power-Maxx Pro (Peak Racing) and whatever the cheaper blue packs are called). The picture of the DuraTrax 20A looks like it only works for the individual cell packs, not stick packs.
Old 06-14-2007, 08:42 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

You could try and find a Deans discharger or make one yourself. It's a bunch of light bulbs (turn signal i think) wired together to give a 20A discharge. Not sure if they make them anymore, but you might find one in the FS section on here, or even Ebay.

Another option would be the Trinity Dyna Pulse, or some of the other Integy products.
Old 06-24-2007, 09:03 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

you can try spintenc's dischargers, they work with stick packs as well and they double as battery conditioners.

i highly suggest you try using equalizing trays though, (for use with side by side configuration batteries) they make sure that every cell receives optimum charge, it should give you atleast 300mah more during charge.
Old 06-24-2007, 11:59 AM
Super Moderator

I use the trinity D-90, its under 40 and it works fine for me.

D-90 Safe Discharge For Ni-MH Matched Packs.

TRI22002..........D-90 Safe Discharge $37.99

Today’s high capacity Ni-MH batteries from Intellect and GP require dischargers that stop the discharge process at around .90 volt per cell for maximum performance on the next charge cycle. The packs produce more voltage and better run times, when discharged to this level, and it mimics the usable battery levels seen on the race track.

Feature:
Each cell will be discharged to .9, volts per cell. When the voltage reaches .9 the LED for that cell will go out. The lights will go out one by one, until the pack is fully discharged. When all the lights are out you can store your pack, until the next race. Packs may be left in the D-90 with no harm like other discharge boards, which will continue to discharge down to zero voltage.