Community
Wiki Posts
Search

maintenance

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2003, 09:07 PM
Tech Adept

Default maintenance

After your done with the car, What do you have to do to maintain it? Is it okay to leave some gas in the tank over night, and play with the same gas the next day?
Old 03-18-2003, 06:33 AM
Tech Apprentice

I wouldn't. When I'm finished for the day and I still have fuel left in the tank, I take my empty fuel filler bottle and squeeze the air out of it. Then, I use it to literally "suck" the remaining fuel from the fuel tank. Then I squeeze the fuel back into my gallon container. That stuff is way too expensive to just dump out! Also, don't forget to add a drop or two of after run oil to the carb venturi and crank the motor a few times to make sure that it circulates through the the motor. Nitro motors tend to draw moisture...and moisture causes rust and corrosion. It wouldn't hurt to remove the glow plug a put a drop or two directly into the cylinder.(again, crank the motor a few times to make sure that the piston and sleve get a thin coat of the oil). The reason I do this after each time I run my cars is that I might not get to run them again for a while. Then, I'll forget about it and a week or two later....well,...you get the idea...! Another good habit to get into is to clean and re oil the air filter after each time you run your car.(Make sure you use R/C air filter oil!) If you run your car a lot, you may want to clean the air filter after every third or fourth tank of fuel. You can use a little fuel to clean the dirt and grime from the filter element. Just make sure to "ring out" all of the excess fuel from the filter before you re oil it!

One other thing that I do after I run my cars...

Check all of the hardwear! Make sure that everything is still tight. Check for loose and/or missing screws. They have a tendency to vibrate loose very easily.

Hope this helps!

Donnie-D

Old 03-18-2003, 06:43 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Allways keep your Radio equipment clean and keep an eye on your receiver batteries. You dont want them to fall out or get too weak. Check your glow plug, a plug can tell you alot about your engine.
Check out www.parisracing.com
Old 03-18-2003, 10:50 AM
Tech Adept

thanks guys I need this kind of help.
Old 03-18-2003, 12:47 PM
Tech Master

what do you look for on a glow plug? color? junk? or if it is still there? al ink to a article with pictures would be nice.
Old 03-18-2003, 02:00 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally posted by corvettecrazy
what do you look for on a glow plug? color? junk? or if it is still there? al ink to a article with pictures would be nice.
www.parisracing.com/glowplug.htm
Old 03-18-2003, 04:35 PM
Tech Elite

Default Re: maintenance

Originally posted by nitrosaurus
After your done with the car, What do you have to do to maintain it? Is it okay to leave some gas in the tank over night, and play with the same gas the next day?
I would NOT leave any remaining fuel overnight. Fuel attracts Moisture and this causes rust.

Best to RUN the tank dry, 2nd best to dump the leftover fuel out, remove the Fuel line from the carb and pit it under the cap of the fuel tank until your next run. Then put 5 or so drops of after-run oil into the Carb opening and turn the motor over a few times.

It is NOT recommended to return used Fuel back to the Main container, as this will destroy the Freshness of your fuel supply.

Straight Methanol, makes a GREAT Nitro wash for Car/Truck cleaning and is Cheap at about $10 or less a Gallon. Been using it for years, with NO problems.
Old 03-18-2003, 07:42 PM
Tech Master

My friend left a little bit of fuel in his tank and he put away his stuff for a couple weeks, and it turned to a goopy consistency!

He was more like:

Just take it out of there.

Also, put more than just 1 or 2 drops of after run oil. I put like 5 in the glow plug hole and five in the carb, turn my engine over for a while (if you have a starter box, not too fast), and then when I get home, I remove the glow plug and stick a paper towel down the hole (not in the engine!), and then I let the excess drip out for five minutes or something like that.