Rookie - Need advice on new setup.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Rookie - Need advice on new setup.

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2006, 09:10 AM
Tech Rookie

Default Rookie - Need advice on new setup.

hi all,
I just got a TTO1 chassis, and Futaba 2 channel RC, battery and charger at S'wan for around $400*. Took me the weekend to assemble, not easy as told by shop owner, but a pleasant experience. *(Maybe I look new & blur)

Would like a few advices to my queries.

1) Given that I got this new setup, is there a need to get additionals such as ball-bearings, new charger, battery, shank, etc to make it complete? I was thinking of driving around, build up my skills before modifying. Am I on the right track or should I get these mandatory options first?

2) Pre-installation tests were done before I install the steering. However, after installation, found that it is about 10degees off centre. Tried the steering trim on R/C (transmitter) but no use. How can adjust this? Planning to go back to shop.

3) For a faster machine, I believe I should be thinking of improving :- Motors, Gears, Battery, Wheels etc. Would it be more worthwhile to invest a better chassis and then get these or I should do the upgrades?

4) in relation to pt 3, what should I be looking @ if in future, I want to upgrade? I don't have a bottomless pocket, but I do expect to improve with time. I do hope that someone can point me in the correct directions.
Like for example, chassis wise, motor, or even Gas cars..

Thanks.
Old 09-24-2006, 11:26 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

you need to take what you have now, and learn to drive.
The only upgrade I might recommend would be ball bearings just to make your current chassis last a little longer and work a little more consistantly.
Adjustable turnbuckles, these will allow you to tune you car a little more, and then there is one for your steering servo which will allow you to align your steering servo perfectly.
Learn on this car, get some gear together, like tools, battery packs, better charger. Do some races hopefully with people of the same or a little better skill level as you, and racing similar chassis to what you are running.
Driving fundamentals is what you need to learn, then you can upgrade to a better chassis and have the driving skills to take advantage of it.

hope this helps
NATE
Old 09-25-2006, 07:36 PM
Tech Rookie

HI All,
managed to realign my servo, quite simple. Just change the angle and then power on till you get it to go to centre. Also, for my RC, I put the serving trim to be central so at least I can tune to left or right.

Went to Swan and came away with a new GP4300 battery that's supposed to last me extra 30mins. btw, I found that I got a quick charger so it took me 90mins to charge compared to 10hrs on a normal charger.
Found out more about brushless motor, and Lithium battery, high end stuffs. Got a glimpse of the ultimate EVO5 chassis.

anyway, went to my void deck to have fun last night, as I still green, got a lot of crashes and burn. In the end, realise that I use medium speed and learn how to "drive" properly, and then apply full power.

Hope whatever I share can be used for all newbies like me.
Old 09-25-2006, 08:53 PM
Tech Rookie

Default Sticking tires to Rims

Hi,
in the installation guide, I used super glue to stick the tires to the Rims.
is that necessary??
Old 09-26-2006, 11:42 PM
Tech Initiate

Thumbs down

Originally Posted by icefatboy
Hi,
in the installation guide, I used super glue to stick the tires to the Rims.
is that necessary??
Using super glue is fine to bash with. If your going to race your TT01 you should get a set of premounts "preglued tires". Depending on where you race the guys in the pits should be able to give you some advice as to what compound to run. I run on high grip asphalt so I use R36's. As far as hop-ups getting bearings is probably the best for now maybe also an alum shaft. The next step would be to get a good set of shocks and swaybars. These will help you the most with the handling or the car. As far as a charger goes i would recommend a peak charger instead of a quick charger so you know that your getting a good charge on your 4300's. A TT01 is a good car to start with, it has tons of potential in GT3.
Old 10-01-2006, 06:19 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

hi
i used to race a tt and there great cars to learn on. anyway bearings are the only real upgrade you should get if you are just bashing but when (and if) you start racing, you should get oil shocks and 55/25 gearing (55spur, 25 pinnon) these will allow you to keep up with those who run xrays and that in novice