Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Adjusting a diff

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2003, 09:35 AM
Tech Regular

Default Adjusting a diff

I know this is a question that has been asked a hundred times but is there any fool proof way to adjust a diff effectively?? I know it depends on track and driving styl but what is the best way to get a baseline and then work from there???
Old 01-15-2003, 10:08 AM
Tech Regular

There really isn't. Just adjust it the way the manual says to and go from there. There are the variables of the track, type of car and traction available. For instance, I have a 4wd sedan on carpet with foams. I set my front diff very tight and the rear just a bit less for maximum speed. If the track was slicker, I would loosen them up just a bit. But really, you can get them smooth with no slipping and forget them. I wouldn't change them before I had tried a lot of other tuning options first.

I know thats not the answer you were looking for but I have heard a dozen different answers from a dozen different racers. Good luck
Old 01-15-2003, 11:11 AM
Tech Regular

Hey, I appreciate the input!! I tend to seek out the easy way first, trial end error is the only way you really learn though!!!
Old 01-15-2003, 01:50 PM
Tech Regular

Yep, trial and error. I think sometimes I try and drive the car more than tune it so I put up with bad handling because I see other guys constantly fiddling with their cars and never getting it right. There is a happy medium in there somewhere.

I haven't been racing so long I can't remember being new. Hope that helped in some way
Old 01-15-2003, 08:40 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default Re: Adjusting a diff

Originally posted by hicheef
I know this is a question that has been asked a hundred times but is there any fool proof way to adjust a diff effectively?? I know it depends on track and driving styl but what is the best way to get a baseline and then work from there???
check this out,,,read the manual, set your fron diff a 1/4 turn tighter and the rea diff 1/16 tighter run-it and be surprised.......
Old 01-15-2003, 08:59 PM
Tech Elite

Default Team Losi Website

hicheef;

The Team Losi website has some really good info on how to adjust a diff.