Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Rookie Zone
What Does A Bad Motor Bearing Sound Like? >

What Does A Bad Motor Bearing Sound Like?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What Does A Bad Motor Bearing Sound Like?

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2023, 03:24 PM
Tech Rookie

Questions?? What Does A Bad Motor Bearing Sound Like?

Hi Y'all!
I've got a motor that accidentally sucked in a good amount of dust and started being loud when it runs. I've already dissembled and cleaned it. Here's a video I made. The first motor is a healthy motor for reference. The 2nd motor is the one being loud, My guess is bad bearings, but I want to get some input before trying to hunt down and replace them. So yeah, would love to hear if anyone has any experience with this.

Thanks!

youtu.be/f4Rw7IY4Q7c

Old 09-27-2023, 08:07 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

It would be the bearings. It all breaks down to what is actually making contact in the motor, and that's the bearings. The bearings should be the only moving part that makes contact with something else.
Old 10-08-2023, 09:13 AM
Tech Rookie

Bad engine bearings sound like a growling almost grinding type of noise that is loudest on acceleration. Some people actually mistake bad engine bearings for a gear mesh problem - similar type of sound.
Old 10-12-2023, 10:06 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Bad bearings can make a grinding sound, but they can also make a trilling sound that almost sounds like the "bullet ricochet" sound used in old western movies -- except a bad bearing will make that sound continuously instead of for a split-second. It's unmistakable; once you've heard a bad bearing making the sound I describe, you'll never be able to overlook it again.
Old 10-13-2023, 06:42 AM
Bud
Tech Master

If they ate enough dust that you can hear them just change them out. It's not hard or expensive.