Community
Wiki Posts
Search

H E L P with airbrushing.

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2002, 10:54 AM
Tech Rookie

Default H E L P with airbrushing.

I have just airbrushed my first body with Pactra Acrylic Metallic Red and Blue and while painting with Metallic Red is seems that the paint some how curded kind of like sand particles that when touch while dry crumble off like grated Parmesan cheese. What went wrong? I am using an Iwata Eclipse and Cambell-Housfeld compressor with moisture trap. I was spraying at 40psi and had no problem with the Metallic blue. Should I have thinned it out and should I be thinning al the color out? According to all I have read, I should be able to use it right out of the bottle but I have seen posting when people have been thinning it out with a few drops.

Also, how do I get that nice thick even coat used to spray large areas that I get with using canned spray paint? Should I be buying a single action airbrush for that? Please H E L P! I have five other bodies on hold till I can figure this out.
Old 12-24-2002, 12:26 AM
Tech Elite

Sounds like the red dried before it hit the body. Also The body might have dust that the paint stuck to instead of the body.
You did wash the inside of the body with warm water and dish soap?

The paint should be the consistency of milk.

40psi is about right for paint thickness like above.

As for coverage, you don't want a thick coat. A thick coat will flake off when your body flexes from being hit. I would spray several thin coats. On the first one its especially important. You need to seal the masking so you don't get bleeding under. Metallics, Pearls, Irridescent paints are somewhat transparent. You need to back it with something, ie. Silver. With these paints, if you try to get them completely opaque the paint job will be way too thick.

BTW you can back these paints with something other than silver like black to get a different shade or look.

If you're worried about your painting, practice on an empty soda bottle like a 2 liter Coke before you do the other 5 bodies.

Last edited by Sydewynder; 12-24-2002 at 12:32 AM.
Old 12-24-2002, 11:55 AM
Tech Rookie

Thanks for the help!!!
Old 12-26-2002, 11:05 PM
Tech Elite

You're welcome.