Search
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By LeftCoast

Getting back into it from California

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2021, 10:08 AM
Tech Rookie

Default Getting back into it from California

Hello... I have been throwing around the idea about getting back into RC. Back in the 80's I was heavily into the "Local" racing scene in my home Town/County. (Concord CA/Contra Costa County). I used to run the Gold Pan (I still have a gold roller) and RC12i pan car (Which got lost in a move). I just picked up a RC10B6.2D... I have pretty much been a Team Associated guy (I did stray once and picked up a HPI RS4 Super Nitro, which is a lot of fun). As I am starting the build I have noticed that ALOT has changed. My noob question of the day is:

How important is the 13 gram Chassis weight? Does it make that big of a difference? Or is it easier to get the electronics into the car?

Any thoughts would be much appreciated.
Old 01-24-2021, 10:23 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Weight bias can make a big difference. Most of the cars these days are pretty light compared to the gold pan days. Quite often, weight needs to be added so you can add it in the right place. Check with the people that run local and what their setups look like. As far as the benefits to get electronics out, I like the plate design. Pulling them out to either switch electronics or clean everything up is so much nicer than peeling tape and reapplying.
Old 01-24-2021, 11:09 AM
Tech Rookie

Yeah back in the day Too much weight was the issue and we would get creative on how to shed the weight. Unfortunately my "Local" track now is about an hour drive and not just up the street anymore. So it makes it difficult to check out other setups, but it will happen eventually, I will work it out!

Hey thanks for the input I appreciate it!
Old 01-24-2021, 11:24 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Welcome back!!! I had my glory years from 89-93. I got back into it with my son. 2 years now and he's progressing just fine. Having so much fun. We're heavily involved in the local racing scene. Nowadays there's so much aftermarket options and do dads to make more power, save weight etc. Weight transfer items is just one of many tuning options available. Its more of a game day decision type item. Its something you won't use all day everyday. Setups will come and go. I try to have my base setup and go from there. The only way to see the change is in your lap times. Its a great time to be an rc racer. Lets go race!!!!!!!
Old 01-24-2021, 12:22 PM
Tech Rookie

Hey thanks Man... With this build my kids are starting to gain interest, which would be great... but I am not going to force it on them... it will happen

I pretty much figured that there would be a base set up that is tailored to my driving style. With so many different options, a 13 gram weight is an interesting thought especially if I threw a 30 gram bulkhead on the front of the car. Just having the right wing at the correct angle makes a huge difference. All in all that is half of the fun, figuring out the setup, the other half is figuring out the correct line on the track.

I sure am enjoying looking at the new components... ESC's alone are night and day coming from, NOVAK was basically the "Only" option to 10 - 12 different companies to choose from.
Old 01-24-2021, 01:01 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by LeftCoast
Hey thanks Man... With this build my kids are starting to gain interest, which would be great... but I am not going to force it on them... it will happen

I pretty much figured that there would be a base set up that is tailored to my driving style. With so many different options, a 13 gram weight is an interesting thought especially if I threw a 30 gram bulkhead on the front of the car. Just having the right wing at the correct angle makes a huge difference. All in all that is half of the fun, figuring out the setup, the other half is figuring out the correct line on the track.

I sure am enjoying looking at the new components... ESC's alone are night and day coming from, NOVAK was basically the "Only" option to 10 - 12 different companies to choose from.
It's a whole different world now. I last raced electric in 1994ish. Novak had the 410Mxc speed control and perhaps one other newer version I ran. 2000 mah cells were just gaining steam and we were still cutting commutators.

Kids got into bashing a couple of years ago and now my son races a buggy at an indoor carpet track. I just bought a buggy to race as well. Not only are the cars so much more adjustable, they are durable. And the electronics are amazing compared to what we had.
Old 01-25-2021, 07:23 AM
Tech Rookie

That is what I am noticing... I remember one race in the 80's where it was a HUGE deal that a Nitro car was at the track and going to make some passes on the oval portion of the dirt track. Man that drew crowds from EVERYWHERE! Pretty big deal for way back when!

Noob question of the day (because YouTube can only offer so much)

Any thoughts on a ESC to motor combo... Hobbywing just stock XR10 Sensored Brushless 17.5T or a Reedy 800z BlackBox with a sonic S plus (17.5T). or perhaps something from the Tekin line

Eventually I will start hitting my local track after getting what I can dialed in... So this initial purchase is going to be pretty important.
Old 01-25-2021, 08:42 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by LeftCoast
That is what I am noticing... I remember one race in the 80's where it was a HUGE deal that a Nitro car was at the track and going to make some passes on the oval portion of the dirt track. Man that drew crowds from EVERYWHERE! Pretty big deal for way back when!

Noob question of the day (because YouTube can only offer so much)

Any thoughts on a ESC to motor combo... Hobbywing just stock XR10 Sensored Brushless 17.5T or a Reedy 800z BlackBox with a sonic S plus (17.5T). or perhaps something from the Tekin line

Eventually I will start hitting my local track after getting what I can dialed in... So this initial purchase is going to be pretty important.
Gas trucks were a draw at Racer's Haven in Bakersfield at one of the JG dirt oval championships. It was the first time they came out for that. In the late 90's and early 2000's gas dirt oval grew pretty well. We went back to Illinois and Virginia to run gas sprints and gas EDMs. Ran gas late models at Delta in Antioch about the same time.

On to your question, I made a choice to go with HW for all our needs. They have plenty of different options from an ESC standpoint and with cars for the kids, my wife and me, having a single brand with one wifi module makes it super easy. Also, many of the HW have reverse voltage protection. With kids that alone is worth it's weight and their performance is second to none in the G2 portion of their lineup (for me).

That being said, if I was running only 17.5 and didn't want to invest in the HW G2 Elite, I might look at the Pico MMax stock ESC. I've heard it has better brakes. I cannot confirm that from personal experience.

As far as motors, they don't need to match the ESC. So, pick your ESC, pick your motor. R1, Team Power Products, Trinity/Revtech, Fantom, Reedy all make good motors. I'm not saying HW doesn't. I just don't know.

Lastly, take everything with a grain of salt. I am just getting back into it so I am doing a lot of reading, talking to some of my friends that still race and putting it all together.
Old 01-25-2021, 09:35 AM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by Silverbullet555
Gas trucks were a draw at Racer's Haven in Bakersfield at one of the JG dirt oval championships. It was the first time they came out for that. In the late 90's and early 2000's gas dirt oval grew pretty well. We went back to Illinois and Virginia to run gas sprints and gas EDMs. Ran gas late models at Delta in Antioch about the same time.

On to your question, I made a choice to go with HW for all our needs. They have plenty of different options from an ESC standpoint and with cars for the kids, my wife and me, having a single brand with one wifi module makes it super easy. Also, many of the HW have reverse voltage protection. With kids that alone is worth it's weight and their performance is second to none in the G2 portion of their lineup (for me).

That being said, if I was running only 17.5 and didn't want to invest in the HW G2 Elite, I might look at the Pico MMax stock ESC. I've heard it has better brakes. I cannot confirm that from personal experience.

As far as motors, they don't need to match the ESC. So, pick your ESC, pick your motor. R1, Team Power Products, Trinity/Revtech, Fantom, Reedy all make good motors. I'm not saying HW doesn't. I just don't know.

Lastly, take everything with a grain of salt. I am just getting back into it so I am doing a lot of reading, talking to some of my friends that still race and putting it all together.
Thanks! I always take things with a grain of salt... these days I don't have much to base research on, so any input is appreciated! That is a lot to consume... Thanks again!

I do realize that ESC, Motors, receivers do not need to match.... it was easier to get my question out... I have a couple of Nitro cars and a AE TC5 that I will be pulling some equipment out (receiver and Servo if possible) of to get things started. ESC and motor I will be purchasing new... probably pretty soon since the build is progressing pretty quick!

When you say "Delta in Antioch"... Is that Antioch California? Delta RC would be my local track...
Silverbullet555 likes this.
Old 01-25-2021, 05:48 PM
Tech Master

That is. I raced at Antioch raceway in the late 80's at the old airport. Then I raced at a location that I think was at the fairgrounds. Had a nice asphalt oval, a dirt oval and an offroad. Stopped racing the last time in 2003 and then we moved away.