Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Shock oiling questions

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2006, 10:55 AM
Tech Adept

Default Shock oiling questions

A freind of mine gave me an old losi xxx-nt and the shocks were pretty dry. Questions is, I used 40wt on all 4 of them. Can you push the shaft all the way in with ease?

Right now it only goes in about half and inch or so then it dosent go in anymore.

Am I doing something wrong or this is how these shocks work?
Old 03-29-2006, 11:08 AM
Tech Master

best thing to do is to take them completely apart.... the rubber seals are probably going to need replacing.

when you do take them apart you will most likely find rubber tubing around the shock shaft.. this is done to limit the shock travel so the truck doesnt bottom out.
Old 03-29-2006, 11:44 AM
Tech Adept

I did see that rubber ring. How can you tell if its bad? or do you usually replace it when you change the shock oil?
Old 03-30-2006, 12:35 AM
Tech Addict

i replace the Oring every 3-4 rebuilds (any more is just over kill), or before a major race when the car gets a full stripdown, empty the old shock oil out, cleen all the old and any dirt out (if theres dirt inside the shocks replace the seals and get a new piston) fill up to about 3/4 of the way up the shock, ,move the shaft up and down slowly to ensure all air is out from under the piston, fill the shock up untill the oil sits just below the top of the shock, put the cap on and make sure it rebounds all the way if it dosent add a few more drops of oil each time till it does
Old 03-30-2006, 05:53 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by PSiDAWD
A freind of mine gave me an old losi xxx-nt and the shocks were pretty dry. Questions is, I used 40wt on all 4 of them. Can you push the shaft all the way in with ease?

Right now it only goes in about half and inch or so then it dosent go in anymore.

Am I doing something wrong or this is how these shocks work?
If the shaft goes in a little and stops it is because there is too much oil in the shock(assuming the shaft is not bent) and if when you are pushing it and it is not leaking any oil out of the bottom of the shock it is up to you if you want to replace the o-rings. open the cap and get rid of some of the fluid and they will start working properly, becareful you do not get rid of too much because you will start introducing air into the fluid when the shock is working.