Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Are brakes weak on all 17.5?

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2021, 05:59 PM
Tech Regular

Default Are brakes weak on all 17.5?

I contacted Hobbywing asking which firmware update for stronger brakes/newest for the Justock esc

they replied that brakes on 17.5 will always be weak due to the motor compared to mod

is this true or is the Justock esc just soft on brakes?

if I mounted a Pro G2 Elite using the same motor would the braking improve?

or would it be exactly the same?

Justock is limited to 13.5 for off road, the only motors I have on hand are 17.5,10.5,7.5

don’t want to solder unnecessarily
Old 01-05-2021, 06:14 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

I'll be interested to hear the responses.

I do believe that some of it could be the 17.5 in it's nature. Some is probably the esc as well. Supposedly, the G2 would improve the braking performance as would a Maclan Pico. It's why I went with a G2 for my 17.5 spec class vs a justock which will run in a HW spec class that requires that ESC and motor combo.
Old 01-05-2021, 08:36 PM
Tech Fanatic

Regarding the trigger brake-No comment there. Seldom used on my grass track oval. Only to slow and stop the ST beyond start/finish at the end of a session.

Regarding the drag brake-have found the Maclan Pico / 17.5 G2 quite agressive to my satisfaction set at 10%. Not so much so the HW at 10%. It's a bit soft on both the 13.5 and 17.5 Justock in my STs. Right in the middle at O.K., but could be better is the trusty old Novak's 17.5 and 21.5 and ESCs set at ~10%.

Try not to run more than 10% drag brake to conserve battery voltage for power on running. So sort have settled in at 10% as the best compromise setting.

Hope this helps and saves you some soldering. Cheers and good luck. 'AC'
Old 01-06-2021, 09:47 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

I have found the Justock to be a little on the weaker side. In my kids cars, one has a Justock and the other has a Tekin RS Spec. The Tekin has better brakes.
Old 01-06-2021, 10:48 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 105 (100%+)

Tekin ESC's have a brake strength setting (that is settable without the computer interface). Not sure if the JustStock has a brake strength setting. I have set my Tekins to the 2nd or 3rd highest setting to get "enough" brake strength from my 17.5 (and 13.5) vehicles.