Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Rookie Zone
gearing for Slash 2WD >

gearing for Slash 2WD

gearing for Slash 2WD

Old 12-13-2020, 12:30 PM
Tech Regular

Default gearing for Slash 2WD

If stock gearing for the Slash 2wd is (48p) 19 pinion/90 spur (SOMEONE PLEASE CORRECT ME IF I'M WRONG)

I'm looking for a bit more oomph in acceleration/torque for jumps after tight turns.

And second to that I'm looking for longer run times/lower heat on the stock motor/Titan 12.

Would a 16 tooth pinion be good? 14 too low?

I don't know how to read/understand the final drive ratio stuff. I know if you go too low in pinion, it overheats the motor as well.

Thanks
Old 12-13-2020, 12:39 PM
Tech Elite

You can never achieve all your after by changing pinion..
Old 12-14-2020, 10:20 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

What type of battery are you using? Lipo or NiMH? If you've got NiMH, a Lipo will provide a lot more punch.

Smaller pinion will give you faster acceleration to a point, but lower top speed. Are you racing or just having fun?
Old 12-14-2020, 10:44 AM
Tech Regular

2s 5000 LiPo

Not racing. My kids drive their Slashes at the track while I drive my buggies. In time, we'll move onto other vehicles for them but for now I'm looking for them to have fun, get experience, and spend as little as possible. So far we've replaced 2 servos, but nothing else. I still have some spare parts from when I owned Slashes years ago, I still have a 4x4 Platinum that my older kid drives as well. I never bonded to the 4x4 for whatever reason, still love the 2wd Slash, and drive it every once in a while.

Looking for longer run times between cooling the motors (they sit in front of a desk fan when cooling), and I don't mind limiting top speed as it's only used on the straights... and I prefer not to replace parts. The Titans definitely slow down but overall last a long time if they are run cool.