Search
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By GerryH

Tekin RS pro gen 1 and Novak HV pro

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2020, 02:47 PM
Tech Initiate

Questions?? Tekin RS pro gen 1 and Novak HV pro

So, about 5 months ago, I bought a Losi Ten SCTE, it was used and had some old electronics in it. Since then, I have not changed the electronics at all. The ESC is a Tekin RS pro first generation and the motor is a Novak HV pro 4.5 censored brushless I believe. I was wondering about three things: What is their value, should they be in a stadium truck, and should I sell them for a better setup. Anyways if someone could answer my questions that would be great. Thanks!
Old 12-02-2020, 04:03 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Value- check out past ebay listing for used gear for each item to get an idea of the value. Do you mean the older white gen1 RS? Or the new black RS Pro? The RS Pro is a relatively new ESC and would be worth more, but I'm thinking it is a gen 1 RS that came with your used car. I'd estimate about $75 for the esc, $15-20 for the motor. They probably may have more value to just keep and use if they work for you.

Should they be in a stadium truck? ESC- absolutely. Motor- 4.5 is a lot of motor for a stadium truck. Good for going flat out fast, but it will be overpowered for racing situations.

Should you sell them for a better setup? Are you planning on racing? In that case at least a newer motor suited to the class you want to run is a good idea. A 6.5-7.5 motor is a good range for an open stadium truck on dirt. 13.5 motors are a common class for stadium truck too, and a slower and more controllable place to start. If you are just bashing around, I wouldn't worry about replacing the electronics unless something goes wrong.

Old 12-03-2020, 10:27 AM
Tech Initiate

They apparently made an rs pro back in like 2010, which is the one I have. I'll give you the part number because I can't post links: TEKTT1153. I was wondering about switching to a newer setup because I wasn't sure if I would have wanted to keep the older setup, (I already have had to replace both bearings in the motor when I first got it). And no I don't race, I bash, I was mostly asking because the ESC and motor seemed to be nicer than just a bashing setup. and the Tekin RS series seemed to be more for drag cars, plus it has many drag settings. I have no clue on this kind of stuff, so your response is greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Old 12-03-2020, 03:35 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

The Tekin RS ESC might not be up to the job of running that motor. It has a motor limit of 5t with a 36mm can. You've at a 4.5t 39mm can. I'm guessing it's worked so far, but it's possible there's a lot of strain on the electronics. I've seen this ESC used a lot in touring cars, buggies and other light vehicles. Not something as heavy as a SCTE. For the SCTE most Tekin guys are using the RX8.

I run a Hobbywing XR8 SCT in my SCTE.
mushroomed likes this.
Old 12-03-2020, 05:52 PM
Tech Initiate

That kind of makes sense because the electronics acted up every once in a while. I don't think that I have been in the hobby long enough to like any specific car or brand (this is my only car), but I was thinking about switching up the electronics to a 4s or 6s and I have seen an RX8 combo in an scte. I was looking at the RX8 combo, a Castle Mamba Monster X combo, or an XR8 ESC. Have you used any of those (other than the XR8) and which one would you suggest? Thanks!

Edit: I mean the Castle Mamba Monster X 1/8 combo, not the 8s combo that they just released

Last edited by Catterlog; 12-04-2020 at 07:33 AM.
Old 12-05-2020, 08:37 AM
Tech Fanatic

I think your motor is fine for what you're doing, you just need a new ESC. When it is running, does it seem like it has enough power? For now I'd sell the Tekin RS and buy a new ESC.

If you go 4S or larger, you need a new, low KV motor. I'm running something like a 1600kv in my 1/8 buggy and a 1800kv in my 1/8 Truggy and they are both very fast on 4S. Even Tekin says the voltage limit on their higher KV motors are limited to 2S.

The SCTE being so heavy, it likes to eat 2S batteries. I'm stuck with 2S because I'm racing, but if I was just bashing, I'd move to 3S and gear down.

Old 12-05-2020, 09:31 AM
Tech Initiate

I think that I will take your advice on selling the ESC, but at that point, I might as well sell the motor, because it's old, and I don't really want to deal with the older tech. I would like to go 4s with the ability to go 6s if I wanted to. According to a thread I found, it looks like the most popular motors and ESCs are the Tekin RX8 series and the Hobbywing XR8. The thread was titled "Best esc/motor combo for a 1/8 scale electric off-road buggy", but I thought that that would be close enough to what I wanted. What would you suggest for a new motor? I need to remind myself that this motor and ESC upgrade might not happen until next year, so if that does not end up happening for a while, what would you suggest for a temporary fix for the ESC? Thanks!
Old 12-07-2020, 05:36 PM
Tech Fanatic

So for 4S or more, you want something like a 1600-2500KV motor. I've heard the 42mm motors need some clearancing done to get them to fit, but it can be done. You'll want something like the Hobbywing 4268. The different versions support 6S except for the 2600kv which only support 4s. Or the Tekin T8. But you'll notice they have lower voltage limits.

The Hobbywing combo is about $35 cheaper than the Tekin. Regardless of which one you go with, make sure you get the programmer (LCD box for the Hobbywing or Hotwire for Tekin), you'll probably want to make some adjustments to the ESC. And this is where the Hobbywing has an advantage because the Hobbywing LCD box can program in the field, where Hotwire requires a laptop unless you buy the pretty expensive bluetooth version.