• 1 Post By Slotskim
  • 1 Post By mrreet2001
  • 1 Post By OffRoadJunkie

newb ESC question "zero timing"

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2020, 07:29 AM
Tech Apprentice

Default newb ESC question "zero timing"

i have researched what timing is in the ESC. still a bit unsure but it sounds like its what you can do with the motor (timing adjustments.. higher timing increased power but increased heat and decreased efficiency, as where lower is the opposite)???

So i purchased a Reedy blackbox 800z "zero timing" esc. so... what does zero timing mean??
Old 09-30-2020, 07:49 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

It means that you cannot adjust timing on that ESC, it is fixed to 0 degrees (a.k.a. "blinky mode").

There are two ways of applying timing, statically (on the motor end bell - timing stays the same until you change it on the motor by hand) or dynamically (via the ESC - here timing can be adjusted by RPM and/or throttle position) - in "blinky mode" the dynamic part is switched off.
Mahjik likes this.
Old 09-30-2020, 08:23 AM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by DirkW
It means that you cannot adjust timing on that ESC, it is fixed to 0 degrees (a.k.a. "blinky mode"). in "blinky mode" the dynamic part is switched off.
Good grief, ok... so first off thanks for the info.
2nd, blinky.. this is zero timing. just to see if i understand this correctly, blinky referrers to only the timing on the esc or dynamic timing, like you stated. and this limits the amount of speed allowed through the esc? but i can still adjust the static or motor timing in "blinky" class or no?

I have been trying to do research on what 17.5 blinky actually means and all i find is what the purpose of the class is... i.e. stock vs mod? is blinky the same as stock?

Bry195 likes this.
Old 09-30-2020, 08:26 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Slotskim
i have researched what timing is in the ESC. still a bit unsure but it sounds like its what you can do with the motor (timing adjustments.. higher timing increased power but increased heat and decreased efficiency, as where lower is the opposite)???
If the timing is changed on the motor what you said is for the most part right but it's not 100% correct. Too low of timing can actually cause heat or possibly cause the motor to spin in the wrong direction. Now on the other hand if you adjust timing on the ESC it can actually decrease motor temp. This is because to be efficient motors actually need different timing depending on the RPM. Static timing (the only thing you can adjust directly on the motor) will have in efficiencies at different RPMs. So a timing setting may be perfect a a certain RPM but the same setting will cause the motor to heat up at other RPMs. ESCs can have dynamic timing which will change the timing based on the RPM to keep it in it's "sweet spot" for a larger range of the RPM band. This keeps it cooler and faster.
Bry195 likes this.
Old 09-30-2020, 08:36 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

2nd, blinky.. this is zero timing. just to see if i understand this correctly, blinky referrers to only the timing on the esc or dynamic timing, like you stated. and this limits the amount of speed allowed through the esc? but i can still adjust the static or motor timing in "blinky" class or no?

I have been trying to do research on what 17.5 blinky actually means and all i find is what the purpose of the class is... i.e. stock vs mod? is blinky the same as stock?
Most stock classes require the ESC to be in blinky mode. Some still allow boosted mode (=timing via ESC). If the class only states "blinky", than yes, only the timing on the ESC must be 0. Timing via the endbell of the motor is still legal. There are race classes (I think mainly here in Europe, not so much in the US), that in addition to blinky, mandate also fixed timing motors. These have a special endbell to prevent you from changing the motor's timing as well.
Old 09-30-2020, 08:49 AM
Tech Apprentice

Excellent, thank you both!
Old 09-30-2020, 09:20 AM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Timing itself is much the same in timing a Gas motor. Advancing the timing (moving positive of Zero) can create more power, but can blow the motor, same goes for Retarding the timing, it can create a bit more efficiency, but can also blow the motor, just via different results.

Timing being set at Zero (blinky mode as many refer to it as) is done to keep everyone's esc/motor setting the same (using the same turn motors) so the races then become about setup and driving skills. This also helps ensure a fair race.

As far as performance, adjusting the timing as noted by others, can increase or decrease the ability of the system to perform at any given rpm. What works in some rpms, can be detrimental in other rpms. Gas Cars have a static timing (timing chaing/gears that "Time" the cams with the crank so they open and close with the piston being around the top of its stroke. Then in older cars, you would adjust the Distributor, to further fine tune the timing. Inside the distributors was s timing-advance setup that would 'adjust' the timing of the Spark through various RPMs (always advancing spark). Today this is done via Computer, same as our rc escs basically.

The electronic timing has far more ability to accurately adjust the timing throughout the rpm range. Until something is wrong, and you chuff the ESC or Motor. heh. aka blow them up.
Old 10-01-2020, 11:35 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

On many race version ESC's, when the timing is set to zero on the ESC, a light will blink. This lets the officials know your ESC is set to zero degrees. Because of that, zero timing was nicknamed "Blinky mode." This feature is a ROAR required feature when racing some stock classes. Like others have said, although you can't adjust the timing on your ESC, you can still adjust it on your motor. Some races don't allow that, however. Do you race? What do you drive?
Slotskim likes this.
Old 10-03-2020, 07:23 AM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by OffRoadJunkie
. Do you race? What do you drive?

Not yet, I live about 10 minutes from a nice indoor track, Beachline raceway in cocoa FL. after driving by the place for a few years and growing up with my dad building rc planes( its been about 2 decades since ive been around any rc) i decided ill take my 8yo son and check it out. we rented a b6.1 and my son and i were hooked. not a soul was there so it made us both more comfortable. Talked to the shop guys and we then bought a 6.2 from them. son and i started researching stuff and said... uhh… woah...

about 1.5 months have gone by and we are still learning a lot i hope to start racing some and my son also is interested in racing... eventually.