Community
Wiki Posts
Search

RC car with no battery or charger

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2020, 12:39 AM
Tech Rookie

Default RC car with no battery or charger

Hi all. New to these forums, after some advice.

My son was given a hand-me-down RC car recently, but the battery compartment on the vehicle is empty. It's a big Merc CLK (not C63), I'd guess between 1:10 and 1:5 scale. Brand is Lenoxx if that helps. Tried attaching pics but I'm getting some error about URLs.

Google says the connector in the car is a Tamiya type.
The rating label on the car is pretty bare - all it says is "power rating: 32W"

What's an economical way to get this thing up and running (considering at this point I'm not 100% sure the car still works)? What spec battery pack do i need? Actually do I need a battery pack and charger, or is there some way to use the rechargeable AA or 18650 cells that I already have?

Cheers

Last edited by andresampras; 09-02-2020 at 05:05 PM.
Old 08-31-2020, 06:45 AM
Tech Elite

you are not able to post pic or a link yet .due to being a new member..You can use the 18650 batteries just add a tamiya plug so you have 18650 batteries but no way to charge them? or more than like.you can use a 6 cell nimh pack with tamiya plug..
there are many lower dollar chargers on the market..
https://www.amazon.com/HTRC-Charger-Battery-Balance-Discharger/dp/B07MWSW3TP/ref=sr_1_2?dchild=1&keywords=lipo+battery+charger+ac%2Fdc&qid=1598881345&sr=8-2 https://www.amazon.com/HTRC-Charger-Battery-Balance-Discharger/dp/B07MWSW3TP/ref=sr_1_2?dchild=1&keywords=lipo+battery+charger+ac%2Fdc&qid=1598881345&sr=8-2

Old 08-31-2020, 10:50 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

Lennox seems to be more toy grade RC, which makes things more difficult. You need to find the voltage rating. 32w doesn't really tell you anything useful.

Then determine what will fit into the battery compartment. It most likely used a NiCd/NiMH battery and I wouldn't be surprised if it used AA sized cells. You can try and figure out how many AA batteries fit into the battery tray, which would hopefully tell you the voltage. If the tray is deeper than a AA battery, then it probably was using subC sized batteries. And unfortunately, there isn't a standard battery of that size to experiment with. SubCs are bigger in diameter than 18650s, but are shorter. So balancing voltage differences and size differences might be a problem.

Good luck
Old 08-31-2020, 05:18 PM
Tech Rookie

Thanks folks. Yes if i had to guess I'd say it's more of a large toy than a serious RC car.

Unfortunately I can't find any details for this model '797-088' online so I'm not sure how else to find the voltage. I'm going to try contacting the manufacturer.

Old 08-31-2020, 05:20 PM
Tech Rookie

This is a post.

Old 08-31-2020, 05:26 PM
Tech Rookie

Cheers for the link, but that charger on Amazon is close to $80 aussie dollars, which is more than I'd like to throw at a potentially dead experiment.

I think NiMH is the way to go, but I'm waiting for a response re. the battery spec from Lenoxx before I buy anything.

Thanks
Old 08-31-2020, 08:44 PM
Tech Elite

after looking at many models by that brand it might have had a 9.6v nicad or nimh... there are other chargers you can use find 1 in your budget ..you can build a battery to test unit b4 making other purchases.. you can take aa batteries and solder them in series to get just have to buy correct tamiya plug with wires then attach to battery pack you built
Old 09-02-2020, 12:12 AM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by the rc guy
after looking at many models by that brand it might have had a 9.6v nicad or nimh... there are other chargers you can use find 1 in your budget ..you can build a battery to test unit b4 making other purchases.. you can take aa batteries and solder them in series to get just have to buy correct tamiya plug with wires then attach to battery pack you built
There's this on Amazon AU for $20 AUD:

GecotyŽ 9.6V Ni-MH Battery Pack, 2400mAh Rechargeable AA Batteries Pack with Tamiya Plug and USB Charge Cable for RC Truck, RC Tank, RC Boat

Old 09-02-2020, 06:57 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Originally Posted by andresampras
Thanks folks. Yes if i had to guess I'd say it's more of a large toy than a serious RC car.

Unfortunately I can't find any details for this model '797-088' online so I'm not sure how else to find the voltage. I'm going to try contacting the manufacturer.

This?: 1:6 Mercedes CLK Rechargeable Remote Car

I am seeing that it is 12v.
Old 09-02-2020, 09:23 AM
Tech Elite

measuring battery compartment would give a slight hint in cell type n count. measure compartment... That the number Mrreet
Old 09-02-2020, 05:14 PM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by mrreet2001
This?:

I am seeing that it is 12v.
Hmm I can't be sure it's not out of the same factory, but it looks a bit different. EDIT: they have a 'white with yellow' colour option. No photo, but maybe that's the one. Nice detective work!

I still can't post photos or URLs (can't even quote your post due to URL) but here's someone's photo of the beast (address with (dot)com):

techsupportforum(dot)com/attachments/saads-largest-rc-car-jpg.45555/

Last edited by andresampras; 09-02-2020 at 05:24 PM.
Old 09-02-2020, 05:26 PM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by the rc guy
measuring battery compartment would give a slight hint in cell type n count. measure compartment... That the number Mrreet
OK will measure and report back
Old 09-04-2020, 10:49 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Old 09-17-2020, 06:03 PM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by andresampras
There's this on Amazon AU for $20 AUD:

GecotyŽ 9.6V Ni-MH Battery Pack, 2400mAh Rechargeable AA Batteries Pack with Tamiya Plug and USB Charge Cable for RC Truck, RC Tank, RC Boat

So in the end I bought this 9.6V battery pack. The car works, but in spurts - a few seconds at a time, sometimes no response at all. Interestingly, the steering seems to work consistently, it's just fwd & reverse drive that's intermittent.
Is this likely due to too-low voltage, or is it more likely there's something wrong with the handheld controller (which looks a bit beat up)?

Took a while to post this response because I didn't realise how surprisingly quick something this thing is for its size...on first test, the wheel hit a table and the plastic snapped...had to araldite it back on
Old 09-17-2020, 06:04 PM
Tech Rookie

@mrreet2001, yes that's the photo of the exact car and controller.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.