• 1 Post By MarkA

Setup Tools for On-Road??

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2018, 10:18 AM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)
Questions?? Setup Tools for On-Road??

Hello all,

I am about to get more into on-road carpet racing with touring cars (and possibly F1), but what specialized setup tools are a must have vs the ones I currently use for off-road?

For example, for off-road I use a flat kitchen counter as a setup table and if I need to adjust something at the track then the top of my plastic table works just fine. But for on-road should I invest in a setup board to ensure it's always super flat? Is it worth it?

Another example would be a setup station. For off-road I use plastic gauges for toe, camber, & ride height. Is a setup station worth it or will my plastic ones get me started?

What do I need to just get and what can I skip for now?

TLR - I don't want to go out and spend a ton of money on special tools, but I don't want to go cheap and miss one or two that actually make a difference.
Old 01-08-2018, 11:48 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

OnRoad = Setup board/station.
OffRoad = Eyeballs and plastic tools.

The thing with OnRoad though is that so many people at the track probably have a good setup station, it shouldn't be hard to do your initial setup as you do now and then borrow one at the track to fine tune it.
nitrodude likes this.
Old 01-09-2018, 07:03 PM
Tech Adept

I use set-up boards and stations for both on-road and off-road. I think it is more important for on-road. Since you are just starting off, I would probably hold off on the set-up station and board until you get the rest of what you will need. Once you get up an running, then look into a set-up station.
As for brand, I really like the Hudy stuff.