Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > Company/Manufacturer Forums > ROAR Racing
What Brushless Systems are Legal for the Off-Road Nationals? >

What Brushless Systems are Legal for the Off-Road Nationals?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What Brushless Systems are Legal for the Off-Road Nationals?

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2005, 11:08 PM
Tech Elite

There are very few, if any, slot cars around here anymore - the ones I knew of are now gone.

The standards for electric motors aren't major, anymore. Stock is fairly regulated but that's stock.

Mod is fairly open - and there is no more turn limit. . .it's gone.

So, Exterminator, that's close to what it is now - BL must be sensored and available and Brushed (open mod) can be pretty much anything (non-rare earth mags).

Would be VERY surprised to see what neobdynium mags would do in a Mod. . .
Old 03-27-2005, 11:50 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Neo mags of the current size would do not very much, in fact, the motor would probably be slower. It's simply too much magentic field for that little armature.

Now, you could use a smaller set of neo mags, but then the air gap would be huge.....not sure one way or the other if that would be good or bad on the track.....

Now, if we could use smaller neo mags with bigger armatures, now we would be talking about a BIG power increase, along with improved efficiency and no discharged magnets from overheating....

Later EddieO
Old 03-28-2005, 06:48 AM
Regional Moderator

"Mod is fairly open - and there is no more turn limit. . .it's gone." from Boomer.

These rules are what is constricting brushed motors.

8.4.2.8 Maximum Armature stack length: 22.6mm
8.4.2.9 Maximum Armature stack diameter: 23.2
8.4.2.10 Only three pole armatures are permitted.
8.4.2.11 Magnets: Only ceramic magnets are permitted. Cobalt and rare earth magnets are specifically prohibited.

Based on ROAR allowing the prototype brushless's to run at the Nat's.
A motor company could develop a motor that ignores these limits and make a motor with larger armature, more than 3 poles. and rare earth magnets. as a prototype and run it in a ROAR event.
Old 03-28-2005, 07:37 AM
Tech Master

I think that a mistake was made at the Carpet nat's in the allowance of "prototype" systems to be used.

This isn't presidence for the rest of the nationals this year. My guess is that the rules WILL be followed for the remaining nationals.

People make mistakes, we all know that and no way of getting around that, it's human nature.

Time to move on and start preparing for the next national.

Can't change the past, it's over already. Only thing left is to move on, learn from the mistakes of the past and make things better for the next national event.

I really find it funny that people are soooo critical of this administration over the past ones. When really, there has been worse things happen before.

Thing is, there were no boards like this to be "critical" and sending emails did absolutely nothing. As a matter of fact, I was very critical of past admins and the single time I actually got in touch with one (After several attempts, might I add) I was pretty much told to eat it, that's the way it is.

These people have opened the door for you to give them input and you all take it as a place just to give you discerning thoughts of them and the organization. IMO, that is just rude. But then again, most racers I know (Including myself) are immature most of the time. So go figure.

I myself do plan on not spending so much time replying to messages on here anymore. Quite possibly it will be a growing trend and then everyone can just sit and whine to themselves all day long. Obviously seems the better route IMO.
Old 03-28-2005, 07:46 AM
Tech Elite

Exterminator: It has been stated several times in this thread and zillions of other ROAR bashing threads on this site that ROAR allowed a deviation to the approval process for the brushless and 19T motor systems for the on road carpet nationals. Now, was this a wise decision, not for me to comment nor will I but honestly, its time to let it go now.

The brushless that was used during that event is currently in the approval process and when ROAR has information regarding the approval status, it will be posted on the website.

Please, let it go. We are working very hard to provide the most up to date technology in our rules and allowing racing systems that the membership wants. I will not be responding to anything further regarding this topic. I think last week's hanging of any ROAR person trying to step up and offer assistance was brutal enough and I'm simply not up for any more.

Thank you for your patience and understanding.

Dawn
Old 04-19-2005, 09:27 AM
Tech Legend

Got any up-dates with Roar`s approval of the brushless ?
Old 04-19-2005, 09:29 AM
Tech Elite

www.roarracing.com

click on rules

there they are....

any changes to any rules will be reflected in the 2006 rule book.
Old 04-19-2005, 10:05 AM
Tech Master

Originally posted by Scrubb
The Off-Road Nationals is a worlds qualifing race, unlike the recent carpet nationals. Exceptions shouldn't be made this close to such an important race.
This year (2005) it is not a worlds qualifier. Only in even years.